Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
O
Orville Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Would you buy a Shield in 9m or the Glock 43 in 9m? Both of them seem good to me. Also if i can learn why one is better that will help.

Last edited by Orville; 08/21/16.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Orville
Would you buy a Shield in 9m or the Glock 43 in 9m? Both of them seem good to me.
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Both excellent, assuming the Shield you buy is one that doesn't have a thumb safety.

Generally speaking, a Glock will have more aftermarket support.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
get the 43.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
get the 43.
i had the shield 9mm, i got rid of it for a 42, i just like glocks i guess

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have both and after shooting them side by side I prefer the Shield. You can use the flush fit magazine if you want, but 8 round mags are easy to get and cheap without going through the hassle of getting extensions.

IMO the trigger on the new M&Ps is better than the Glock triggers.

I was a bit more accurate with the Shield but I don't know if that was due to the gun or my preference for how it fit and the trigger.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife has a M&P40c and if that thing isn't the G27 Killer, there won't be one. Super nice handling, soft shooting and plenty accurate. It has certainly convinced me to look at the M&P line first, in any application where a plastic pistol fits best.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Both are good guns. I bought the 43 because I am familiar with the platform and the reliability. There will likely be more trigger options for the Glock.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd go with the M&P 9c over the shield. Better gun, capacity, trigger return, trigger. About the same size.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I'd go with the M&P 9c over the shield. Better gun, capacity, trigger return, trigger. About the same size.
t

I'll second that, IIRC the Compact is a tad shorter in the grip. I don't consider either of them pocket guns.

https://youtu.be/IBOzCLh1qxE

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Smith and Wesson all the way for me. I don't know why anybody would want a Shield though, when they can just go with the original M&Pc.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shield for me. Holds more rounds in the magazine and I like the feel of it a little better.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Smith and Wesson all the way for me. I don't know why anybody would want a Shield though, when they can just go with the original M&Pc.

Because with my build, that little bit of extra width would mean going up in pants (and shorts) size. If I want bigger than a single stack I go OWB.

Oh by the way, Shield. But that's because I have one and haven't tried the G43.

Last edited by doover72; 08/21/16.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I went with the Shield. They were significantly cheaper at the time.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
43 with Taran Tactical +1 for me. Equals the round count in the LC9 hammer fired it replaced.

Was either the new striker fired LC9 or the Glock. I shoot Glock's in IDPA and my truck, house gun is Glock, I live less than an hour from Glock for service/repairs.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack

My wife carries a M&P 9c........it's substantially thicker than a Shield & neither are really pocket guns with a full mag of ammo.

But, it's much more shootable IMO & I like it better than my G27.

Anyone wanting a smaller gun should look at a G42 even though it's a 380.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot them both before purchasing... bought a Shield. There isn't much of anything to upgrade on the Shield, it holds more rounds without the cost of aftermarket extensions and has steel sights that are quite usable. The plastic slot fillers Glock issues have to go and that is an additional expense. I bought my Shield ready to go for $360 and the Glock was $440 without decent sights and needing mag extensions. After 600 rounds I'm happy with the Shield, decent trigger and sights, accurate and has been 100% reliable with anything I can cram into a magazine.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shield

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a Glock 19, 26, and a 42. I just like Glocks.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I have both and after shooting them side by side I prefer the Shield. You can use the flush fit magazine if you want, but 8 round mags are easy to get and cheap without going through the hassle of getting extensions.

IMO the trigger on the new M&Ps is better than the Glock triggers.

I have shot both and agree I agree 100% with this. The Glock is a good pistol too, but I prefer the S&W.

Pros for the Shield: Greater magazine capacity, price, real steal sights, and the Shield also has a frame safety if desired. Some people dislike the safety but it is unobtrusive, positive, and there if I want to use it for chambering, reholstering, or shooting with the kids or newbie shooters.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Glock 43 and like it. One major reason, though, is commonality of platform, which may not be an issue for the OP. The other reason is that I like to have at least one pocket 9mm in the stable. Although not ideal, the Glock 43 can be used in a pocket of my jeans or for the few times a year when I have to wear business casual type clothes. My only experience with the Shield was hefting it and realizing the Glock was better in the pocket. I also think the Ruger LC9S Pro would be better in the pocket than the S&W.

If pocket carry is not a consideration, I think the Shield would be a very viable carry gun, based on reports of those who have them. I would get the one without the thumb safety.

My early model Glock 43 had some teething pains for the first 150 rounds. It then ran about another 2500 without an issue, then started giving me some malfunctions that, tentatively, have been resolved by a new recoil spring assembly. Note that Glock is now on a second iteration of magazine. I have read, but cannot confirm, that Glock has changed connectors to lower the trigger pull weight to that of larger Glocks. That can be good or bad depending on perspective and proposed use. Don’t buy a Glock 43 before testing the trigger to see if you like it.

MOGC is correct about the Glock plastic sights being throwaways.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
428 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 998 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,917
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.