Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
My son is pictured in this pictorial article of our fair.

Was a bit of a sad day for both kids as they sold their steers they've raised and worked with, nearly daily for months.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/loc...rce=facebook&utm_campaign=user-share

Last edited by Tarkio; 08/21/16.

Montana MOFO
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
nothing like a little recognition smile

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kudos !

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Is that your son "snuggling" up next to the cow? Cute picture.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Good deal!

Way more kids need those life lessons and responsibilities.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That brings back memories........ kids, some of them quite a bit older than those who had to deal with some tough separations when they sold their livestock.

Funny the one where kids were telling their critter about "steer heaven".

I can hear that conversation now....."....yeah, and in steer heaven, they'll give you back your nuts." wink grin

Not sure which one is yours, but kudos to him for the recognition of that which is a great springboard into success in life.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Congratulations to the boy!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
My son is in the second picture with the Charolais steer.

Montana MOFO
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congrats! Lots of great kids there.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Good kids for sure!!

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Congrats to your son and his steer for making the pictorial. Yeah, the first separation can be trying. However, as mentioned above, farm kids learn a lot of life lessons "in the barn".

One of the live stock judges at our local county fair gave an extemporaneous speech at the end of his judging. Basically thanking his parents for "raising him in the barn". And pointing out how the kids in the various live stock programs learn work ethics, responsibility, and the ups and downs of life. Not everyone gets a purple or pink or blue ribbon in the show ring. But they learn a lot of life lessons they can take with them that many kids raised off the farm will seldom understand.

Again, congrats to to your son...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
My niece-in-law is a 4H coordinator in Northern Missouri, and lives the life, still. Their kids have all kinds of critters on Dad's old farm (nephew bought Dad's place some years ago).

She spent the whole of the Missouri State Fair down in Sedalia, and had a ball.

It's a great thing that her kids, and their cousins, are growing up with all manner of critters on their farms.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
way to go.

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Orion2000

Thanks. Both my kids did very well and they are both deserving of the congrats and accolades. The boy just seems to the THE ONE that attracts the attention. In this instance, a newspaper photographer catching him sitting with his Smolder-Buddy.

Montana MOFO
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Congrats to your son and his steer for making the pictorial. Yeah, the first separation can be trying. However, as mentioned above, farm kids learn a lot of life lessons "in the barn".

One of the live stock judges at our local county fair gave an extemporaneous speech at the end of his judging. Basically thanking his parents for "raising him in the barn". And pointing out how the kids in the various live stock programs learn work ethics, responsibility, and the ups and downs of life. Not everyone gets a purple or pink or blue ribbon in the show ring. But they learn a lot of life lessons they can take with them that many kids raised off the farm will seldom understand.

Many judges have this same type of talk before the selection of a champion of a specific species.

And it's true. My kids do very well. I truly believe they are gaining through this to better prepare themselves to tackle whatever faces them out there in the world, especially after I am gone.

We push them hard. Expect a lot of them. Some would say we push a little too hard. They are always given the choice to do less, but reminded that is not how you prepare to do your best and be the best.

Had a few conversations where I tell my son you are fixing to get your butt handed to you. Particularly in the showmanship contests. He takes it as me not believing in him. I've explained numerous times that I completely believe in him but see that he is not preparing mentally and not doing all he can to prepare and do the work to succeed.

Did my heart good a year or 2 ago when he came out after winning a showmanship class I told him he was going to lose based on what he was doing, and not doing the day of the competition. He hugged his mom and said "Dad didn't believe in me". I hugged him and said I did believe in him, but he was setting the table to lose because all he wanted to do on the day of the show is screw around with his buddies. Same time, I told him to not come running to me afterwards crying because he lost. That would be on him and I am not going to be very compassionate when you sink your own ship for having your head up your butt when you should be preparing.

All it took was lighting his fire and he kicked it into the right gear and won.

Last edited by Tarkio; 08/21/16. Reason: spelling

Montana MOFO
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went through the same thing oh so many years ago. Can still hear my dad's advise going through my noggin and out the other side. Still remember that Hereford steer that would follow me around like a puppy dog without a lead rope.

I took the money and ran. Never showed again.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4H builds solid men and women.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That's cool Tarkio.

I was never in 4H but grew up around cattle my entire life.

To me the hardest animal to sell will always be an old(open..) cow. We've got a little pasture close to home full of pairs but no bull. Easy walk to water, etc...

+10 year old cows raising their last calf. Some of them are home raised(one iron) cattle so you've known them since birth.

Always a little sad loading them up on the semi bound for the sales ring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 60 invisible), 3,135 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,190
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.