-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry but I disagree with the OP. Here in NM RMEF has supported youth hunting projects in cooperation with other groups and NM Game and Fish. Same for disabled hunter outings at Valles Caldera.

As to being money hungry, How about some facts instead of innuendo.....

Charity Navigator data shows RMEF spends only seven percent on administrative costs and 2.8 percent on fundraising costs. Therefore, 90.2 cents of every dollar that RMEF spends go directly into its mission of ensuring the future of elk, other wildlife, their habitat and our hunting heritage.

And then there is this...

August 18, 2016

RMEF Surpasses 10,000 Conservation Projects
MISSOULA, Mont.—An ongoing aspen restoration effort in Oregon’s South Warner Mountains marks the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation’s 10,000th lifetime conservation project.

“This is an incredible conservation milestone,” said David Allen, RMEF president and CEO. “It speaks volumes to the positive, beneficial impact the RMEF has on elk and elk country from coast to coast.”

Earlier this year, RMEF contributed $30,000 in grant funding to the Fremont-Winema National Forest as part of the seventh and final year of landscape aspen treatment in south-central Oregon where elk numbers are below objective. RMEF funded similar efforts in 2014 and 2015 to conserve and restore aspen stands and meadows in the same region. Also in 2016, RMEF awarded $20,000 in grant funding to begin a similar landscape-scale effort in the North Warner Mountains.

RMEF’s first habitat stewardship project was a 1986 prescribed burn in a place fittingly named Elk Creek on the Kootenai National Forest in northwest Montana. The backcountry burn encompassed more than 1,000 acres of prime elk habitat where shrubs had become overgrown or decadent.

“We are grateful to our many partners who stand shoulder-to-shoulder with us in making meaningful conservation work a reality. We vow to accelerate our conservation mission of ensuring the future of elk, other wildlife, their habitat and our hunting heritage,” added Allen.

To date, RMEF completed 10,198 lifetime conservation and hunting heritage outreach projects in 49 states that permanently protected or enhanced 6,883,479 acres of vital elk habitat.

Land Projects
RMEF purchases important elk habitat from landowners and seeks to convey that property to a federal or state management agency. The agency then acts as steward of the land while providing access to the public. Many land projects also improve access to nearby USFS, BLM or state lands that are landlocked or otherwise extremely difficult to reach.

Easements
A road or trail easement is a right-of-way to enter or cross private land without possessing it or trespassing. RMEF works with partners to negotiate road or trail easements that allow public access through privately held land. Access may be by vehicle, foot, horse or other means. Such projects open or improve access to large chunks of public lands that are inaccessible or mostly surrounded by private land.

Land Exchanges
RMEF may assist a government agency or a private landowner in exchanging lands. These exchanges typically take place when an agency has wildlife habitat lands it wants to acquire. Many exchanges will result in an increase of lands that are open to the public.

Contributions
RMEF may award grants to state agencies for their individual hunter access programs. Grant funding is used to maintain or create new areas for public access.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I tried to donate a plains game hunt to my local chapter.

I emailed....I called.....I finally gave up

This doesn't surprise me at all. I am convinced RMEF is owned by some anti-hunting types who do just the minimum to keep the moeyy coming.

First, the problem with the local chapter is just that--a problem with the local chapter. I've worked with our local chapter and I can tell you that a lot of time and effort goes into drumming up auction items and no call would've gone un-answered here.

The line about RMEF being "owned" by antis is too absurd to dignify with a response. Volunteer for some local habitat improvement projects and see how many antis show up.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Razz
Sorry but I disagree with the OP. Here in NM RMEF has supported youth hunting projects in cooperation with other groups and NM Game and Fish. Same for disabled hunter outings at Valles Caldera.

As to being money hungry, How about some facts instead of innuendo.....

Charity Navigator data shows RMEF spends only seven percent on administrative costs and 2.8 percent on fundraising costs. Therefore, 90.2 cents of every dollar that RMEF spends go directly into its mission of ensuring the future of elk, other wildlife, their habitat and our hunting heritage.

And then there is this...

August 18, 2016

RMEF Surpasses 10,000 Conservation Projects
MISSOULA, Mont.—An ongoing aspen restoration effort in Oregon’s South Warner Mountains marks the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation’s 10,000th lifetime conservation project.

“This is an incredible conservation milestone,” said David Allen, RMEF president and CEO. “It speaks volumes to the positive, beneficial impact the RMEF has on elk and elk country from coast to coast.”

Earlier this year, RMEF contributed $30,000 in grant funding to the Fremont-Winema National Forest as part of the seventh and final year of landscape aspen treatment in south-central Oregon where elk numbers are below objective. RMEF funded similar efforts in 2014 and 2015 to conserve and restore aspen stands and meadows in the same region. Also in 2016, RMEF awarded $20,000 in grant funding to begin a similar landscape-scale effort in the North Warner Mountains.

RMEF’s first habitat stewardship project was a 1986 prescribed burn in a place fittingly named Elk Creek on the Kootenai National Forest in northwest Montana. The backcountry burn encompassed more than 1,000 acres of prime elk habitat where shrubs had become overgrown or decadent.

“We are grateful to our many partners who stand shoulder-to-shoulder with us in making meaningful conservation work a reality. We vow to accelerate our conservation mission of ensuring the future of elk, other wildlife, their habitat and our hunting heritage,” added Allen.

To date, RMEF completed 10,198 lifetime conservation and hunting heritage outreach projects in 49 states that permanently protected or enhanced 6,883,479 acres of vital elk habitat.

Land Projects
RMEF purchases important elk habitat from landowners and seeks to convey that property to a federal or state management agency. The agency then acts as steward of the land while providing access to the public. Many land projects also improve access to nearby USFS, BLM or state lands that are landlocked or otherwise extremely difficult to reach.

Easements
A road or trail easement is a right-of-way to enter or cross private land without possessing it or trespassing. RMEF works with partners to negotiate road or trail easements that allow public access through privately held land. Access may be by vehicle, foot, horse or other means. Such projects open or improve access to large chunks of public lands that are inaccessible or mostly surrounded by private land.

Land Exchanges
RMEF may assist a government agency or a private landowner in exchanging lands. These exchanges typically take place when an agency has wildlife habitat lands it wants to acquire. Many exchanges will result in an increase of lands that are open to the public.

Contributions
RMEF may award grants to state agencies for their individual hunter access programs. Grant funding is used to maintain or create new areas for public access.

I get the list of stuff that you posted, but you are missing my point. If they do all of this great stuff, then why are they filming hunts predominantly with dignitaries, instead of taking a kid or just some average member on one of these hunts?

I realize that it takes large amounts of money to do the things that they do, but they rarely applaud small donors/members. They are furthering the view that hunting is becoming a pursuit for the rich and influential.

Oh well, as long as they offer me a good freebee, I may continue to throw them my penance once in a while. sick

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
do they have to take all of us on an all expenses paid guided trip to make you happy, or just you, in addition to the high impact dignitaries you're talking about?

no organization is perfect, but I dont know of ANOTHER elk organization that does much of anything for elk.

I confess that I really appreciate that many of the articles they publish are submitted by regular folk who've just done a good job of capturing their hunts.

my annual RMEF check is an easy one to write. only freebee I need is Bugle magazine.

the allegation that it's run by anti's is maybe the biggest tinfoil hat theory I've heard yet.

yall have a great season. Good luck in the mountains.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I heard nearly this identical gripe about Ducks Unlimited.

I suspect that the 'dignitary' that gets to go hunting is contributing either access, land, easement, or value of some kind in the neighborhood of 6 or 7 figures, and the gratuity he receives is perhaps a hunt that he could have simply purchased for 4 or 5 figures.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's far superior to the North American Moose Foundation. The one year they quit printing the newsletter, quit answering the phones, and I was in Idaho and left them a message I wanted to stop by ( they had an open door policy for members) and they never returned my call. I ignored their letters to renew after being a member for three years.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
These threads pop up about this time every year. It's a free country for the most part so if you don't want to support RMEF, you don't have to do so. The allegations of a clique of insiders who are anti-hunting and elitist, and who are soaking the ordinary members while hunting RMEF protected habitats not open to the public is a favorite canard.

Thank you for the dose of common sense mudhen. I couldn't have said it any better.

Now all we need to do is sit back and wait for someone to say they won't join because the wolf reintroduction was RMEF's fault.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Wondering what the CEO receives for a annual salary? At one time I was a huge supporter of the NWTF. But when I found out the Rob Keck the CEO at the time was receiving 375k for an annual salary, I stopped donating. And shortly after the news spread of what he was receiving, he resigned.

I know that both the RMEF and the NWTF have done great things for the elk and turkeys. But I do believe it is all about $$

Don't gobble at me
C
C
RMEF holds TV hunts with companies/groups/people that support its conservation mission. It also conducts hunts with RMEF members, volunteers and other common folks--and yes, some of them are on public land.
It does not own any ranch land unless it's in the process of conveying that land to a state or federal agency to manage. It is against RMEF bylaws for RMEF staff or board members to hunt on any such land.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Good post. You should probably change your name to "fact checker" though grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crosschecker
RMEF holds TV hunts with companies/groups/people that support its conservation mission. It also conducts hunts with RMEF members, volunteers and other common folks--and yes, some of them are on public land.
It does not own any ranch land unless it's in the process of conveying that land to a state or federal agency to manage. It is against RMEF bylaws for RMEF staff or board members to hunt on any such land.

Is there documentation for this info?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Their stated policy is that they do not buy property to own and manage. If they acquire properties to protect elk habitat or provide access to public land, they identify a responsible owner and transfer the property. These owners are almost always identified in advance of the actual purchase. In the case of a transfer to a private owner, the property is typically encumbered with a conservation easement to guarantee that the habitat values it was acquired to protect are not compromised by the new owner(s) or subsequent owners.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Do you mean as opposed to your wild-ass theory that RMEF is owned by antis?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

Do you mean as opposed to your wild-ass theory that RMEF is owned by antis?

That's right. If there is no documentation their opinion is the same as mine: An opinion.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not quite. Crosschecker laid out a set of facts that I'm going to bet are documented. Your opinion can't be documented because it's untrue. If you want documentation, pick a fact or two and be specific. What is it that you want documentation on?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can one of the current members find out who the ranch 10 miles west of Ringling MT will be conveyed to?

Ownership chip on GPS shows RMEF as owners. Not trust.

N 46 15.497
W 110 56.561

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why don't you call them yourself and find out. That's what any member would have to do.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am not a current member. Can you find out?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You can call and get the info. same as anyone else.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

327 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 42 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,609
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.