Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have had mixed emotions about the RMEF for a number of years, due to the way I was personally treated through letters etc.

They do some good stuff and I will not argue that point. The problem is that I watch the RMEF program on tv where they have some dignitary hunting for big bulls on land that the average guy will never be able to afford to have access to and go on to tout their great achievements.

It seems to me that they would be a lot more credible, if they took these people on hunts on public land where their purported great accomplishments should be more obvious.

It was made perfectly clear years ago that they have no use for you unless you are a major donor. My concerns did not even rate a return letter.

Am I the only one that sees this, or is this the standard that members just have to accept now? I doubt that I will join again unless they offer me a free gift that makes it worth it.

Just my opinion.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The knife they gave this year was very nice.

In my opinion, they give the "dignitaries" those types of hunts because they can do the most for hunters and hunting land preservation. If that is wrong, then I would blame the politicians that require such treatment to help in any way. Yes it is disgusting, but the way things work today.

I will remain a member because $100 a year is reasonable for what they do. Just my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sbhooper

I doubt that I will join again unless they offer me a free gift that makes it worth it.

So, the point of joining RMEF is to help conservation and preservation of elk and other wildlife.
And you have a passing interest in this conservation if there's a free gift in it for you? confused

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by SKane

I doubt that I will join again unless they offer me a free gift that makes it worth it.

So, the point of joining RMEF is to help conservation and preservation of elk and other wildlife.
And you have a passing interest in this conservation if there's a free gift in it for you? confused

Can't please everyone, all the time, I guess... crazy

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I'm holding out for an embroidered hat, with my name on it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is a really nice elk hunting ranch north of here that the RMEF owns. No access to members or any public, only rich donors.

The rich donors can fund the RMEF.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Backroads
There is a really nice elk hunting ranch north of here that the RMEF owns. No access to members or any public, only rich donors.

Where is this ranch and what is the name? It's my understanding that the RMEF does not own any property, they tried it (with a property that was given to them and it didn't work). I'd like to know if your statement is actually true. Granted, it wouldn't surprise me if a privately owned ranch only gave access to fat cat donors and board members on behalf of the RMEF.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My GPS says ownership is Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, it is west of Ringling Montana about 10 miles.

N 46 15.497
W 110 56.561

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S

I think that they arrange conservation easements, but don't actually own any land.

The way that it works out, though, they may as well own lots of it, as nobody but hand-picked donors get to hunt most of it.

That is my whole point.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I hear the NRA's whittington center offers free elk hunts to any NRA member.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I think that they arrange conservation easements, but don't actually own any land.

The way that it works out, though, they may as well own lots of it, as nobody but hand-picked donors get to hunt most of it.

That is my whole point.

Yeah they are holding it in trust and until they can find a final owner for it . If they allow any hunting on these properties it should be to people that have won auctions at one of their dinners.

I have been a member for a long time , they do a lot of good.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 08/21/16.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

I'm holding out for an embroidered hat, with my name on it.

I want one with Schlitz beer cans embroidered in...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried to donate a plains game hunt to my local chapter.

I emailed....I called.....I finally gave up

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I tried to donate a plains game hunt to my local chapter.

I emailed....I called.....I finally gave up

This doesn't surprise me at all. I am convinced RMEF is owned by some anti-hunting types who do just the minimum to keep the moeyy coming.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Got my hip boots on for sure!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Got my hip boots on for sure!

LMAO wouldn't that be great

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Does SCI allow any old member to stay and hunt on their facility in Granite Creek near Jackson Hole?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was on their elk list from about 2000 to 2008. The price went from about $4k to $8K. Now I believe it is over $10K. We stop at the Center almost every year on our way down to the "elk ranch". You don't see much from the road, usually pronghorn and bison, depending on the month and time of day.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
These threads pop up about this time every year. It's a free country for the most part so if you don't want to support RMEF, you don't have to do so. The allegations of a clique of insiders who are anti-hunting and elitist, and who are soaking the ordinary members while hunting RMEF protected habitats not open to the public is a favorite canard.

I have been a member for over 30 years and a life member for about 16 years now. I have worked professionally with staff and volunteers on a number of projects, both as a volunteer and as a paid consultant. I can assure you that I have never encountered anyone that would be included in the mythical inside mob that is always alluded to in these threads. I have met a lot of hard-working people from all walks of life who believe that the future of elk hunting lies largely in protecting what elk habitat we have left from fragmentation and degradation.

If you are considering joining, do your homework somewhere else than on the internet forums and then make up your own mind.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I am a life member of the RMEF and appreciate much of the the work that they do. However, I also realize that they are money driven and now a big business organization.

I will leave it at that.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,246
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.