Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11363996 08/10/16
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
got notice today requesting payment for the 9mm 130gr solid mold, no lube groove he has been making. they should be in pretty quick.
he didn't say anything about he hollowpoint version i ordered too.
hope he didn't leave me out.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
GB1

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Ron,

Don't know if you have bought any of Mihec's molds before, but they are top notch and you will be pleased. They take a while to receive, but they are well worth the wait. I have 4 of his molds and I ain't stopping now.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
i have quite a few of them too.
what's unusual about this one in a way, is i have a link to him on facebook, and an ad appeared for the mold. Went to cast bullets and put my name in. That was within the last couple of months. Shipping this time really quick.
I have waited past a year for some of them.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
got notice today requesting payment for the 9mm 130gr solid mold, no lube groove he has been making. they should be in pretty quick.

Do you have his standard 125gr HP 9mm mold already? I bored out the lube grooves on mine recently and it drops at ~135gr with hollow points. Casts better too.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I personally like NOE's brass moulds, top drawer quality and usually in stock or you can get what you want in a month or less sometimes.

I have some Mihec's moulds too but the wait usually kills it for me.

Last edited by blammer; 08/21/16.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
but the wait usually kills it for me.

Heard that.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Check for out of round and mis-aligned cavities. When they are in spec, they are good moulds. But I have had a few that were milled off to one side more than the other and the bullets would stick HARD. He has a hard time with 30 cl moulds. They are his worst moulds he makes.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Yondering

Do you have his standard 125gr HP 9mm mold already? I bored out the lube grooves on mine recently and it drops at ~135gr with hollow points. Casts better too.

i get emails from him now as i signed up as a friend on his facebook page. Got a email to my regular address he was selling the 125gr .359 hollowpoint and i ordered that a couple of days ago. included pins for pentad and the normal hollowpoint. That one mold ought to cover .38special, .357, and 9mm.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

i get emails from him now as i signed up as a friend on his facebook page. Got a email to my regular address he was selling the 125gr .359 hollowpoint and i ordered that a couple of days ago. included pins for pentad and the normal hollowpoint. That one mold ought to cover .38special, .357, and 9mm.

Just a couple thoughts on that bullet:

- The normal hollow point pin is a bit too wide at the tip, resulting in expanded noses tearing off too easily. It can be improved by turning or grinding it to a cone shape with straight sides.
- The penta hollow points look interesting, but ultimately don't do anything better than the standard pins. Fun to experiment with though. I reground my penta pins down to a shallow cone for high velocity 9mm & 357 loads.
- This mold casts a lot better for me with the grooves removed; the lube grooves on mine were too deep, so the bullets sometimes hung up when ejected sideways with the cramer-style hollow point pins.
- It will work great for all of the rounds you mention; it's a good bullet

This is with the deep pins ground to a cone shape, used for subsonic/suppressed 9mm.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Yondering; 11/11/16.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R

Just a couple thoughts on that bullet:

- The normal hollow point pin is a bit too wide at the tip, resulting in expanded noses tearing off too easily. It can be improved by turning or grinding it to a cone shape with straight sides.
- The penta hollow points look interesting, but ultimately don't do anything better than the standard pins. Fun to experiment with though. I reground my penta pins down to a shallow cone for high velocity 9mm & 357 loads.
- This mold casts a lot better for me with the grooves removed; the lube grooves on mine were too deep, so the bullets sometimes hung up when ejected sideways with the cramer-style hollow point pins.
- It will work great for all of the rounds you mention; it's a good bullet

This is with the deep pins ground to a cone shape, used for subsonic/suppressed 9mm.

[Linked Image]

i might have to get a hold of you in a while and beg mercy in gringing down the mould and the pins. I would like to use these anyway with powder coating rather than traditional lube.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 11/11/16.

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Any time, just let me know.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I got that 125 mold in with the pins, and ran it today with the hollow point pin. I had thrown into the pot along with my normal stuff some cast bullets of unknown vintage a friend gave me. Some lead free solder, and my wheelweights. Took quite a while to stop getting wrinkles. But. it is a four hole mold, and with no consistancy to one hole, the base of the bullet up on top was not filling out regularly on them.
I would pour, couple would be fine, and for some reason would not get a consistent fill on the top. Couldn't figure it out.
Should be nice and flat after the sprue cutter cut it, not so, and a little in some parts were not completely filled out.
Not sure what was causing that. Only thing i could think of i might have gotten a little of that oil he provides in there...
they cast by the way mostly to 126grains, and .358 to .359.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
When I cast heating the mold is key.
the brass molds have to be pretty hot to get the wrinkles out.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I got that 125 mold in with the pins, and ran it today with the hollow point pin. I had thrown into the pot along with my normal stuff some cast bullets of unknown vintage a friend gave me. Some lead free solder, and my wheelweights. Took quite a while to stop getting wrinkles. But. it is a four hole mold, and with no consistancy to one hole, the base of the bullet up on top was not filling out regularly on them.
I would pour, couple would be fine, and for some reason would not get a consistent fill on the top. Couldn't figure it out.
Should be nice and flat after the sprue cutter cut it, not so, and a little in some parts were not completely filled out.
Not sure what was causing that. Only thing i could think of i might have gotten a little of that oil he provides in there...
they cast by the way mostly to 126grains, and .358 to .359.

poor base fillout is generally caused by inadequate venting, in my experience. First thing to try is loosening the sprue plate; I don't like casting with a floppy sprue plate but sometimes that's what it takes until you vent the mold better.

Another thing I do to all my molds is stone a small 45 degree bevel on the top of the block faces where they contact each other under the sprue plate. This acts as a vent to help base fill. Don't overdo it, a bevel about the thickness of your thumbnail is good, maybe a little more. Use an oiled stone, not a file.

Also, some people swear against it (I don't know why) but smoking your mold with a butane lighter does help fill out, especially with hollow point molds. Most of what I cast any more is hollow points, and I'd like to think I have it down pretty well; if I'm not getting good bullets by the second cast, something is wrong. The first remedies I always turn to are venting and smoking. Do not smoke a mold with matches, wood, candles, or anything else containing wax or oil, only use clean gas from a cigarette lighter.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll have to try the smoking trick, though the only mihec mold that gave me fits was a 400 gr .476" mold that I ended up selling.

A propane torch can also be used for smoking a mold. Put masking tape on the air inlet holes and you'll get a nice smoky yellow flame.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Got another one on the way from Slovenia. This one is a reproduction of Elmer Keith's 2nd mold design, but with the Cramer hollowpoint option. It is a 240gr solid or 225gr hollowpoint, and was originally designed for the .45AR. Should make a nice defensive load in my .45 Colt.

Don
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by USSR1991
Got another one on the way from Slovenia. This one is a reproduction of Elmer Keith's 2nd mold design, but with the Cramer hollowpoint option. It is a 240gr solid or 225gr hollowpoint, and was originally designed for the .45AR. Should make a nice defensive load in my .45 Colt.

Don
[Linked Image]

i basically got that mold except in the 270saa, but one of the slovenian molds. I fired that hollowpoint at about 1000fps into a four to five inch prospectus, pentetrated completely to a pass through, and expanded to over .90. I don't think much would stand up to that.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Yeah, Ron, know what you mean about the Mihec .45-270SAA. I've had that one for a few years now. Shot a deer with it a couple of years ago, and no surprise, complete pass thru and one dead deer. I figure that bullet is still traveling and probably in orbit by now. There's just no substitute for a heavy, large caliber bullet.

Don

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got the Mihec 452640 mold, need to weigh samples but I think the hp's are around 270 gr and the flat points 300 gr.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

poor base fillout is generally caused by inadequate venting, in my experience. First thing to try is loosening the sprue plate; I don't like casting with a floppy sprue plate but sometimes that's what it takes until you vent the mold better.

Do not smoke a mold with matches, wood, candles, or anything else containing wax or oil, only use clean gas from a cigarette lighter.

Please keep these tips coming. I will go loosen some of the sprue plates I cranked down on in my igorancce and frustration.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,164 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,135
Posts18,464,707
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.