Print Thread
Hop To
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I know…another holster thread, but I have searched through all the threads I can find. When I got my CC I never realized finding the right holster would be much more difficult that the actual gun selection. The worst part is you cannot try these holsters from the good makers so it is a ‘guess’ as to what works for a newbie. I have narrowed down some selections from HBE Leatherworks (just sent him an email) TT Gunleather, and Milt Sparks. Also am realizing my summer carry is going to be considerable different than winter (Ohio) but am just concentrating on the cooler season as I can see adding a smaller pocket pistol for summer shorts weather later.

I have a 9mm Shield and am happy with the pistols shootability vs size. It has also been flawless through several hundred rounds fired of various ammo types. Finding the right carry method has been tough. I started with a cheap Desantis clip tuck IWB and that was a waste of $. Tried Alien Gear and that was not much better. I got a Desantis zero cant OWB holster and it is a least comfortable but far from concealable.

I guess initially I just need to decide on IWB vs OWB. I’m 6’2 210 with a 33 inch waist. I’m a jeans and t-shirt guy but also wear a lot of shorts/hiking style pants. IWB is more concealable but so far has been horribly uncomfortable. Ohio is an open carry state, so I am not quite as sensitive about some printing although obviously want to avoid it. So what are you thinner guys with the midsized pistols (Shield, Glock 43, Kahr) doing for carry?

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not a thinner guy, but I did do a write up of the TT Gunleather Reinforced Mike's Special for a Glock 43 here. The only thing I would add now is that the belt loop snaps have broken in and don't give me any trouble.

As for the magazine pouch, I wish the magazines rode lower and closer to the waist. I mostly use an OWB dual mag pouch if I am wearing the gun IWB. Wearing the gun and the magazine pouch IWB at the same time is just too much.

I would check with Sparks and see if they figured out how to do a Criterion for your model gun.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
OWB I really like Mitch Rosen 5JR and Upper Limit.

IWB RM Low Rider and Sparks Summer Special.

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks for the replies.

Cheyenne, I glad you replied as in my searches I found your write-ups to be some of the most helpful; your post put TT Gunleather on my radar. Although you ended up selling your Nexus, I still think that one may work for me since it is slimmer than the Criterion. Is reinforcement and one handed holstering really that important for an exclusively CC civilian? Serious question.

ronc. That Upper Limit looks good. I wish it had a some more forward cant to it. I wonder if it cannot due to being top heavy.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Multiholsters makes kydex holsters and they offer a ton of options. Might want to check their website

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The need for a one handed reholstering depends on a few things, including your threat assessment and the risks of slow reholstering. The main risk is inability to go hands on with the bad guy or somebody you need to grab like a kid, or to get the gun out of sight when the police roll up on you. Even I have to forego rapid reholstering when I pocket carry because I have to transfer the gun into my left hand and take the holster out of my pocket with the right hand in order to reholster. But, when I need to pocket carry I need to pocket carry, so I have to take slow reholstering as a given.

The Nexus should be fine if it is not cinched down too tight and you just occasionally draw and fire a few rounds and then reholster. For extensive use like competing in IDPA matches and practicing for matches, or doing stuff like clearing buildings, you may need to force the gun into the holster more. It is not as bad as, say, an Alien Gear 2.0 holster that collapses the second you pull the pistol.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Go up a size in pants.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You may just want to consider checking Crossbreed Seconds until a Supertuck or Minituck comes up for the Shield. It would be cheaper and you could unload it fast if you didn't like it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.