Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by pointer
I would avoid melting wax and trying to apply it that way... it makes a huge mess and you still have to heat the leather. Two pairs of high quality boots have been ruined in the oven on my boat, that I can remember...

Just use the heat gun or even a hair drier works.
I use a hair dryer and buy my wax at the craft store in the candle making section. I apply it to new, clean leather gloves. Buy them a skosh big and treat with the beeswax. Break in kinda sucks, but they are waterproof-ish and tough as hell afterwards.

And you started doing that after seeing mine?
Almost. I did it the first time at your suggestion prior to coming up and dropping deer off a cliff for you to catch! wink
[Linked Image]

The biggest downside is that it sucks a lot more to loose a $5 glove after you treat them...

I need to try to get back up your way again. Drew a moose tag this year, but just couldn't make it work. Would love to get my boys up there sometime to try to get them on a salmon.

Salmon fishing is good these days...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm hoping it stays that way until I can make it. They are 6 and 9, so I'm not sure my patience is ready for a trip that long with them yet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Salmon fishing is good these days...

Apparently fishing for Sitka deer isn't so much. Didn't even get a rise...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You almost got me...

Sitka deer hunting is almost good enough to start going again...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
He looks familiar... but what a stud!

wink

Not as good as he once was,
but as good once as he ever was.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bwinters
A regular toilet wax seal is made of beeswax, is cheap, and available at any home depot/Lowes/plumbing store.

Not really... I assume it is solvents that make the seals soft. They do not make a decent substitute for wood polish.

There was a time that sanitary seals were beeswax.

Anymore, I believe them to be a polyurethane wax. Far cheaper.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am hoping a certain sheep hunter will chime in with his experience last week with boots treated with NikWax... Let's just say he wished he had applied straight beeswax and was glad he killed a great sheep on opening day...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I use LP, been using it for years. Neats foot oil will soften the leather and NOT make them waterproof, but it WILL make your feet incredibly cold, as it is great conductor.

Have used plenty of other products over the years including straight beeswax, all the common stuff , including bear grease, Sno-seal, goose grease, Squaw oil, etc.

I have found the best way to apply the LP is to put it under a light bulb , very close and make it liquid. Apply it with your fingers. Heat your boots up with boot dryers . The kind that slip inside not the blowers. Do not put it on too think. Let it dry. Put another application on. Let the boots dry well, then use a good boot polish to seal them a bit.
I use this method on high quality boots, including Russels. I use it sparingly on my Russel Ostrich flavored boots.
As far as Meindles go I have had the frizzing' souls peel off. Through the pluckers away after 2 hunts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got some LP initially to soften up my new Montana sling. It did a good job on that so I used it on a pair of chukas I wear hunting down here that had just about got un wearable as the water i walk around in down here had leached out the leather and they were stiff as wood. LP softened them right up. Then I got a new pair of meindles for deer hunting up in Ohio and first thing I did was give them a good coat. Glad I did is I set in the rain for 3 days up there.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I also like the stuff that Kenetrek markets for their boots.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I use the LP on my 2 pairs of Russells because they recommend it. My first pair they recommended Pecards and I used that on them and they lasted 20 years.
Russell used to have a boot care tutorial on their website. Different leathers require different dressings.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Different leathers require different dressings.

What is the determining factor(s).

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Different leathers require different dressings.

What is the determining factor(s).

Suede doesn't like straight beeswax...

Beeswax likes everything else...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Knew that. Wondering if the reference was to species, use, or other in his experience.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
I just treated all my boots again with obenaufs last weekend. I wait for a hot sunny day. Let boots sit a few hours in the sun to warm up. Apply and let sit in the sun for a few more hours. Yearly ritual for me

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have used it for hand lotion when hunting in desert climates. It really helps with chapped hands.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The determining factor is what kind of leather it is.
The boot maker should recommend what is suitable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The determining factor is what kind of leather it is.
The boot maker should recommend what is suitable.

Too many boot makers have their own line of crap... guess what they suggest...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I wait for a hot sunny day. Let boots sit a few hours in the sun to warm up. Apply and let sit in the sun for a few more hours. Yearly ritual for me

Yes. July/August is not the time most of us think of our winter boots, but that's when all of mine get a thorough treatment.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
I wait for a hot sunny day. Let boots sit a few hours in the sun to warm up. Apply and let sit in the sun for a few more hours. Yearly ritual for me

Yes. July/August is not the time most of us think of our winter boots, but that's when all of mine get a thorough treatment.

Yep. Set them out in the sun for a bit and then treat them. It works great. I use mainly the Kenetrek dressing, but the Obenaufs is easier to deal with, when a little sun is involved.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

706 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,528 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,149
Posts18,465,009
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.