Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's starting to cool off a bit. My hunter's spirit is stirring once again. I grew up in Ohio, and squirrel season was the first thing to open up, usually around the second week of September. Squirrel hunting was a big deal down there. Mom and Dad expected me and my brother to put some meat on the table, especially in years when Dad's carpentry work was tight.

We saved squirrel tales and sold them to Mepps. A season's worth of squirrel tales bought all the .22 ammo I needed for the next season. I had started my hunting with a little Fox Model B 20 gauge, but found out it just couldn't consistently bring those bushytails down out of the tops of the huge beech trees on our family homestead. If you were standing in the bottom of one of the many ravines, and shooting into the top of the canopies, it might be 65 to 70 yards.

I haven't chased 'em in way too long. It's time to get back to basics. Who here hunts squirrels? I'm looking forward to doing it again this fall. The old Glenfield bolt guns sighted in and ready to go.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sumbeaches will bug the [bleep] out of you when deer hunting. I've thought about squirrel hunting just to shut some up.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first hunts were stalking squirrel with my great Uncle Donald, and a dog named Kate.

I miss it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Sumbeaches will bug the [bleep] out of you when deer hunting. I've thought about squirrel hunting just to shut some up.

I see more squirrels deer hunting than I ever do squirrel hunting. Somehow they know.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Armednfree

I see more squirrels deer hunting than I ever do squirrel hunting. Somehow they know.
Right as rain. They are smart little things, those tree rats.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Reloder28
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Great photo for squirrel appreciation day! grin

I hunt them a few times a season, lotta fun.

Last edited by 12344mag; 08/22/16.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'd rather hunt squirrel than deer. The season is longer, the limits are generous, the ammo's cheaper, and they're far easier to pack out.

I live in SW Missouri, where the forests are mixed oak, walnut, and 50 other tree varieties, and squirrels are described by the conservation dept as "an underutilized resource". If I can get myself down to the woods, I hunt squirrels. In fact, since I had eye surgery last year, I'm even something of a threat to them again.

Marlin 39a is my favorite. Load 25 shorts and head out.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Works for me.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My weapon of choice:

Browning A5 12 ga
Winchester 9422 22 LR

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Two good choices, there. My FIL liked to go out with a Sweet 16 and come back with his pockets full of quail, rabbits, squirrels, and maybe some walnuts. Persimmons he just ate on the spot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My two favorite cartridges for squirrel hunting are the 22rimfire sub-sonic for early hunting when the leaves on the trees are pretty thick and the 17HM2 when the leaves have fallen and the shots are longer.

I take mostly head shots and get some delicious meat. And being in the woods at first light is a delight all of its own.

Steve

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I damn near have a heart attack every time one of those 200 lbs. squirrels comes sneaking up on me when I'm on stand during deer season. I swear it's Buckzilla paying me a visit to get my pacemaker going!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Love squirrel hunting! These old bones can't sit for too long.Stalking tree rats is a hoot!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
yep. i never miss the 1st day here in PA. when i was a kid i used grandpaps mod 12 and would get lots of limits. now i use the 77/22 for the long shots and a pre-18 s&w for the close shots. i try to get enough for one squirrel potpie for deer camp. but ya, its funny how you can hunt and not see one and hunt the same spot in deer season and them suckers are crawling on every tree. archery season has kind of cut into my squirrelin' lately but if i had to only hunt one thing the rest of my days, it would be squirrels in the late october PA woods.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I damn near have a heart attack every time one of those 200 lbs. squirrels comes sneaking up on me when I'm on stand during deer season. I swear it's Buckzilla paying me a visit to get my pacemaker going!

Years ago (I was around 17) I was positive a big 'ole buck was sneaking up behind me, my heart was racing and I was in full anticipation mode, all of the sudden the buck started moving very fast and a freaking black squirrel ran across my legs!

I schit my pants! laugh

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What we have up here in northern Ohio is Fox Squirrels. Down in S.E. Ohio it's grays. Completely different critter. The Fox will sit for a scoped shot, that gray just keeps moving. I got got rid of the scope on the grays, open sights only.

I have a friend that runs a fiest on squirrels, he cleans up on them.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My father and his brothers grew up as subsistence hunters. In East Texas, squirrels were the primary target. I learned most of my outdoor (and survival) skills as a result of squirrel hunting and catfishing. Those skills are substantial, and while I don't hunt squirrels much anymore, the memories are fond.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Walks in the Missouri woods, flintlocks and squirrels were made for each other!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by htredneck; 08/22/16.

If it has whipped cream and chocolate drizzles on it, it’s dessert. Grow up and get a coffee damnit
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I got back into it with my grandson. Now I just need to figure out how to cook them so they're tender and edible. I think I'll try a pressure cooker this year. Anyone have good cooking tips? Our season open Sept.1.

Bob

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 727 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.