Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Only 2 bullets that immediately come to mind, 53 TSX and 55 TBBC.....

Where can you get the TBBC as a component bullet?

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I truly am not sure of their availability as of now. I know CTD had them recently. Not sure about now......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[quote=PaulBarnard

Where can you get the TBBC as a component bullet? [/quote]

Long time gone, sadly. They were great in a .22-250

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by southtexas
If not chest shots, where else?

Crunching bones, messing up shoulders, etc.

Us Cajuns are more protective of the meat... smile

We eats these critters... cool

DF

Ok, my bad. Poorly worded question. Paul l said he wouldn't use standard Bullets for chest shots. So does that mean he wouldn't use them at all? Seems to me, if one were to use "standard Bullets" for deer at 22-250 velocities, that broadside, thru the ribs would be the preferred placement. Just curious.

And DF, having lived in Lake Charles and Baton Rouge, I comprendo Cajuns love for meat! grin

If you are the type to take neck shots, I don't think it matters what bullet you use. Where bone may need to be broken to reach the vitals with a 22 centerfire, I want a premium bullet. That's the point I was trying to make with my earlier post.

understood. thx

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Neck and head shots are great for saving meat.

However, I've not been a big fan, unless the distance is close enough to avoid a mess up.

Deer have a habit of suddenly moving their heads and if that happens as the shot breaks, one can cripple a deer. It'll make a believer when one sees a doe starving to death because some boob shot her jaw off trying for a head shot. A neck shot that doesn't hit bone/CNS/big arteries can blast the esophagus with about the same result.

So, head and neck shots have their place. Judgement, as always, is needed.

A chest shot with an appropriate bullet, well placed, is hard to beat. They'll often run, but usually not far with good marksmanship and the right bullet. In super thick stuff where they're easily lost or in areas where they can run onto another property, busting shoulders/spines may be the way to go. Some meat is better than no meat...

Where we hunt, we generally end up with all the meat...

DF

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The more meat that gets fugked up the better.

I hate carrying that schit out.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The 53 grain TSX in a .22-250 works very well on both deer and antelope in your state...

D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks guys I'm going to see which ones I can find at the local Scheels and do some load work.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If the 53 TSX doesn't work for ya, try the 45 as well. It's pretty brutal from a hornet from what I've heard.

I've never had an issue with standard 55 grain wally world bullets from a .22-250 on deer/antelope with tight behind the shoulder shots, but I am going to try the 62 TSX this year out of my 223. I got a tighter twist though.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
The gun will be used by my daughter next year and possibly my wife if she want to go this year. I'll take it as well but mainly for my girls to use.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
[quote=PaulBarnard

Where can you get the TBBC as a component bullet?

Long time gone, sadly. They were great in a .22-250 [/quote]

I'd buy a pile of them if I could find them. Tough, deep penetrating bullets in any caliber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

I grew up hunting in the south. We never had to drag a deer far after we killed it. When I transferred to Kodiak with the Coast Guard I put a nice buck down about 2000 feet up a mountain. Dragging that thing out was one of the hardest things I had ever done. I smartened up and bought a frame pack. The next year I put another nice buck down. Carrying all that meat out in that frame pack was one of the hardest things I had ever done.

I hate carrying that schidt out too. Sometimes hunting is a lot like work. The party is over when you pull the trigger. The rest of the experience is all hangover.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've only shot one deer with a 22-250. I used a 55 grain Winchester bullet, which was known not to expand much - I don't think that bullet is available as a reloading component any more, since that was in early 70's. I'm sure there's better bullets, but that one worked. If I were to try a 22-250 again, I'd look at Hornady, Core Lokt, and Nosler bullets.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

I grew up hunting in the south. We never had to drag a deer far after we killed it. When I transferred to Kodiak with the Coast Guard I put a nice buck down about 2000 feet up a mountain. Dragging that thing out was one of the hardest things I had ever done. I smartened up and bought a frame pack. The next year I put another nice buck down. Carrying all that meat out in that frame pack was one of the hardest things I had ever done.

I hate carrying that schidt out too. Sometimes hunting is a lot like work. The party is over when you pull the trigger. The rest of the experience is all hangover.

I drug my first mule deer to my vehicle which at the time was a 4Runner. Then I picked up the whole mule deer and put it the back on a tarp.

Thankfully I was in the middle of nowhere and no Montanans could see me. I'm sure it would have been quite a sight.

FTS. I cut them up and pack them out now.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Last 2 deer I shot in Minnesota I loaded both on the top of my 95 pathfinder my self after dragging them out.
Talk about a workout.
The pathfinder was white and after driving home 2 hrs the back and sides were red. The wife was not impressed.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 87 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.