Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
I look at this site daily, usually several times, but have never posted anything. I am looking for some good, reliable 8x binoculars that are good in low light situations. I know that the best thing to do is to go and look through them and compare for yourself, but the selections locally are very limited. I have been doing research online for weeks. I have come across several good recommendations based on those reviews but can't reach a final decision. I have around $900 set aside for these, but would really like to stay at $500 or less. Before anyone suggests that I save a little more for "alpha" glass, let me say this. I bought some Swarovski 8x42 SLC's last summer. This was suppose to be my ultimate, and last binocular purchase. I know this doesn't sound right, but I didn't care for them and was really disappointed in them, especially in low light situations. I don't know if I was expecting too much, or if my 62 year old eyes just couldn't appreciate good glass. I wound up trading them for some 8x32 Nikon L LX Premiums that I liked better. Now I've sold those and looking again. Here are some models that I am considering: Meopta Meopro HD (used), Leupold BX-3 Pro Guide, Athlon Midas ED, Celestron Granite or Trailsekkers, and Bushnell Legend M. The only ones of these I have been able to look through are the Leupolds, and they were 10x42. I definitely want 8X, as I can't hold 10 x steady anymore. Can any of you optics experts steer me in the right direction? Or, suggest a better option than the ones I've listed? Sorry for the long winded first post, and thanks in advance for your assistance.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It would be our pleasure to assist you with a 8x glass. There are some excellent options:
Minox has a few
Vortex does as well
There's also the Leica Trinovid HD series
If you have a few moments please give me or Neil a call to discuss what might be best for your use

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suggest you go to a store and try some out before buying on line.
I've ordered few items from cameraland as well as used to give out referrals to my buddies when they have some good deals.. They were always great.
The latest pair of binos I ordered were zen rays. almost a $500 pair of binos.
They just didn't fit my face right, They hit the ridge of my nose and I had to send them back.
By the time I sent them back with my shipping and after Cameraland deducted their shipping cost. I was out almost 45 bucks... Just to look at through some binoculars. And the fact my box got misplaced and took over a month and phone call to find out whats going on with the return.
BTW
Optics Planet has FREE shipping and FREE returns.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
OP Offline
B
I went to Gander Mountain this afternoon, but they had none of the above that I mentioned. That's the problem I have with actually looking through them. I may drive 80 miles to Cabela's soon and see what they have. I've bought some Minox from Cameraland and didn't care for them either, but I may accept the invitation to give them a call tomorrow. And, I have done some research on the Tract optics and will give them some consideration. Thanks for the input so far.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Welcome to the Fire.

The Optics Forum can get a bit salty at times, may not be the easiest or least confrontational place to start... laugh

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/23/16.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I second the Leica Trinovid HD. I bought the 10x42 and they are so sweet. Nice and light, great glass. I love them. They can be had for around $850 new.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The new Steiner HX series are supposed to be really good but are new and no major reviews yet and can be found around $600.

B
OP Offline
B
I actually was able to look through some Steiner Predators at GM today. I liked them as well as anything they had there. I have also owned the Steiner Nighthunters, but they were in 10x42. These were the binos I had when I realized I could no longer hold 10x steady. I may have like them better had they been 8x.

IC B3

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Daughter has a pair of Nikon monarch 7 in 8x30. Think they have them in 8x42
They are Great, light weight, Feel nice in your hand, clear and fast focus. Much Better then My older monarchs in 10x42

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Welcome to the fire. My best suggestion would be to buy some Leupold BX3 Mojave 8x32's. They are 17 oz's and the glass is excellent. Excellent binoculars for the money.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have a pair of Weaver Grand Slam 8.5x45s that I've been very pleased with, would have rather had the Super Slam version(noticeably better, not that the Grand Slam is at all lacking) but could not swing the extra cash at the time. Also been pretty impressed by a set of 8x Vortex Vipers that a buddy has, really great glass for the price.

Last edited by CowboyTim; 08/23/16.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
This link of bino ratings is from the Cornell University Ornithology Lab. I don't know how comprehensive their trials were of all that is out there, but I respect their ratings. Maybe a place to further your search.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/bbimages/lb/2013/autumn/bins/Binocular_Review_top_picks.pdf

B
OP Offline
B
Yes, Dre, they have them Nikon's in 8x42. I was also able to look through them at GM as well and was impressed with them. Those may have been 10x42's. Can't remember for sure, but they were much better than the Monarch 5's they had there. The three sets they had there that I liked were the Monarch 7, the Steiner Predators, and the Leupold BX-3 Mojaves ( not the HD models), but they didn't have a huge selection. I'm probably way overthinking this issue. I just want something where I can count points on a deer's antlers at last shooting light. About any of them will suffice in broad daylight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bamasnyper
Yes, Dre, they have them Nikon's in 8x42. I was also able to look through them at GM as well and was impressed with them. Those may have been 10x42's. Can't remember for sure, but they were much better than the Monarch 5's they had there. The three sets they had there that I liked were the Monarch 7, the Steiner Predators, and the Leupold BX-3 Mojaves ( not the HD models), but they didn't have a huge selection. I'm probably way overthinking this issue. I just want something where I can count points on a deer's antlers at last shooting light. About any of them will suffice in broad daylight.

Based on wanting to count points at last light solve the problem by getting a used Bushnell 4200 4-16X or a 4500 4-16X. When you find game with the binoculars put the scope on it and crank it up.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
You may want to take a look at our Toric 8x42 series. You don't need to spend all what you have set aside to get the quality you're looking for. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions.

Trevor
Tract Optics
www.TractOptics.com

Use discount code: 24HOUR5 for 5% off your order!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do yourself a favor and try the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30's. I too have owned Nikon LX's and these are right with them and can be purchased for a little over $300.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nikon's MONARCH 7 8x30's have been my go to bino's since turkey season. Clear,bright and light weight. Combined with MONARCH 7 glass and Nikon's No Fault Policy you can't go wrong.

This is what one writer said about Nikon's MONARCH 7 bino's.

Nikon Monarch 7
This brand-new binocular costs $499 in a 10x42 version and $20 less in 8x42. I got a 10X model to fool with, and it is so good it leaves me somewhat unnerved. All the hardware is done right; the focusing is glassy smooth; the weight is only 23.6 ounces. I compared the Monarch 7 with four other binoculars whose prices ran from $700 on up to $2,400. The only binocular that was better, and not by a hell of a lot at that, was the one that cost $2K plus. It’s deeply distressing to me that people of ordinary means can afford something of this quality, but there you are.

Drop me a note with any question's.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The things I would look for are locking twist up eye cups, enough eye relief to use with my glasses if needed, and a water shedding coating on the lens.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
B
OP Offline
B
I want to thank you all for your help and suggestions. I also want to thank Neil at Cameraland for his time and help yesterday. However, Cabela's put there Leupod BX-3 Mojave Pro Guide 8x42 binos on sale today for $384. I had looked through the 10x42's and were really impressed with them, so I just ordered these today. I have a Cabela's credit card and with my points I was able to get these shipped to my door for $250. Plus, I also received $100 in Cabela's bucks to be used on my next order. I just couldn't pass this deal up. If I don't like them, I should be able to move them without losing much if anything on them. Thanks again for all your help.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Good deal!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Try Zeiss Conquest HD 8 x 42's.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I want to thank you all for your help and suggestions. I also want to thank Neil at Cameraland for his time and help yesterday. However, Cabela's put there Leupod BX-3 Mojave Pro Guide 8x42 binos on sale today for $384. I had looked through the 10x42's and were really impressed with them, so I just ordered these today. I have a Cabela's credit card and with my points I was able to get these shipped to my door for $250. Plus, I also received $100 in Cabela's bucks to be used on my next order. I just couldn't pass this deal up. If I don't like them, I should be able to move them without losing much if anything on them. Thanks again for all your help.

I think you'll be very impressed with those. My BX3's are not HD, and they are exceptional binoculars at any price point...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Try Zeiss Conquest HD 8 x 42's.

In case you missed it-

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I own a pair of Steiner 7 x 35s and some 10 dollar 8 x 20s
And a pair of Leupold compact 10 x. My Steiners are probably 25 years old. They are crap always have been. the free 8 x tascos are better. The 140 dollar Leupolds are decent. They are small and usable. I looked through someones Kahles 7 x one time at the river. They blew me away. They were amazingly clear and bright.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Zeiss 10 x 42.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SakoAV
Zeiss 10 x 42.

You musta missed this part:
I definitely want 8X, as I can't hold 10 x steady anymore.

As well as this:

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32s are superb.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 68 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,200
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.