Hop To
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I double lunged the second largest doe I have ever laid eyes on. DNR said she was 5.5 yrs. old.

444 Marlin via 270 gr. Speer GD. She ran probably 70 yds. through the cedar swamp. A very thick and nasty cedar swamp. It seemed like 170 yds. However, you did not have to be Geronimo to track her. The blood trail was probably a full 10 ft. wide spraying out both sides of her. Still haven't seen anything quite like it. The entrance hole was golf ball sized. The exit hole baseball sized. It was a mofo dragging her out of the thicket. The whole time my bud's old man was screaming at me for not anchoring the deer where I had shot it. Good times.........grin

I shot 7 straight deer in the neck after that grin Bang flopped a nice black bear with same exact handloads earlier that season.

It was experiences like those in my younger days that taught me how to bang flop deer.....

I used to hunt deer with my tree hugging in laws.
After my wife died I bought 40 acres to hunt on so I would never have to listen to them Monday Morning Quarterback every single shot.
That is why I like the 35 Whelen the blood trail is short and wide like a girl in a Wisconsin beer joint.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I like a neck/ shoulder shot for bang flops. Last ten or so shot in this manner have not made it over 5 yds. Most just tipped over in place. There is a bit more meat damage though as opposed to the heart lung shot.

Have had quite a few deer over the years run over 100 yds with the typical lung/heart shots. Some ended up over steep drops and swamps . Not saying neck shots are better just my experience.

Some deer, does and bucks, will run a ways no matter how well they're hit.

Originally Posted by whelennut
I double lunged the second largest doe I have ever laid eyes on. DNR said she was 5.5 yrs. old.

444 Marlin via 270 gr. Speer GD. She ran probably 70 yds. through the cedar swamp. A very thick and nasty cedar swamp. It seemed like 170 yds. However, you did not have to be Geronimo to track her. The blood trail was probably a full 10 ft. wide spraying out both sides of her. Still haven't seen anything quite like it. The entrance hole was golf ball sized. The exit hole baseball sized. It was a mofo dragging her out of the thicket. The whole time my bud's old man was screaming at me for not anchoring the deer where I had shot it. Good times.........grin

I shot 7 straight deer in the neck after that grin Bang flopped a nice black bear with same exact handloads earlier that season.

It was experiences like those in my younger days that taught me how to bang flop deer.....

I used to hunt deer with my tree hugging in laws.
After my wife died I bought 40 acres to hunt on so I would never have to listen to them Monday Morning Quarterback every single shot.
That is why I like the 35 Whelen the blood trail is short and wide like a girl in a Wisconsin beer joint.
whelennut

Originally Posted by battue
What happened with the walkers, trotters and runners?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Right here at the crosshair, or at said joint right next to crosshair will bang flop a deer and keep it there, more reliably than any other shot. I have done it more times than I can remember.

[Linked Image]

This is the answer.

Good illustration

I tend to shoot a bit higher and a bit more forward than the illustration

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I prefer longer shots actually especially when they are moving.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Impressive....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
while plenty of "hole in one"have been made, I'm not aware of a called one.
Yes, bang flops happen and have happened with just about every angle and shot known to man...but if your starting with the intention of putting an animal atop it's own feed your only going to be highly successful with CNS shots.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Talenel

Trolling along......

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have been watching this thread since it's inception, waiting to see if anyone would actually give what I consider to be THE best answer. A couple have touched upon it, but nobody has really put it into concise terms.

The answer is (drumroll please):

Shoot the deer where the scapula and humerus meet (Or just slightly behind it). Break that joint and it's good night Irene every time. It will produce a bang flop (with quick death, no running, struggling, or getting up) more reliably than any other shot placement, including head, neck, heart or high shoulder.....

A few years back I shot a 100-110 lb fawn an inch up or less. At 50 yards, 1700 FPS, 250 grain Barnes T-EZ, dead square broadside, identical damage to both scapula, about an inch and a half just gone. It sounded like a turd hitting pavement from 30 stories up when those bones went. Not only didn't it go down at the shot, it managed some over 60 yards. 3/4s of the heart was gone. only a fist size chunk of one lung remained. Golf ball size hole all the way through. I could have run a shovel handle through and carried it out to the road.

When the bullet hit the deer just swayed back a little, then turned and ran straight away and in the 30 or so yards I could watch it it ran well enough I wasn't certain I hit it where I did. The chest was so thoroughly demolished it only bled for about three jumps, then nothing til where it went down. I have no idea how it stayed upright, much less ran. The front legs were floppy.

I have never seen a head shot do anything but drop. I more frequently shoot then just below the skull, clipping the brain stem. Never saw one of them do anything but drop.3 years ago I high shouldered 4 with the ML because I wanted no runners. Every one of them dropped where they stood.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by BobinNH

Trolling along......

6Th post in 1.5 months doesn't qualify as a troll.

As for what I posted, My rifles are zeroed for 200-300 yards usually not 50. Hitting a running deer at 100 yards is easier then 50 by far, and at 200 yards even easier.

I don't usually hunt past the normal range for most calibers I hunt with, so if you are thinking I'm saying I hit deer at 600 running I'm not. This isn't the long range hunting sub forum. Over 150 yards is longER range for most hunters.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hitting a running deer at 100 yards is easier then 50 by far, and at 200 yards even easier.

I would pay to see that.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm not an outfitter get your own dang deer hunting spot lol

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Motionless is always easier than moving, but with your reasoning, a standing Deer at 50 would be harder than a standing one at 200.

Classic.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Ya'll are sounding like my late Grandpa now. Standing and motion less are two different states when deer hunting.

I've only been hunting around 25 years and a lot of people here have have been hunting longer and prolly notice this. I'd rather flick off my safety (even quiet as I can) when they are at 200 than 50 cause some of them can hear that, let alone I'd be shooting high with most of the cals I hunt with.

Running Perspective: Ask a world champ at skeet shooting what range they want their clays to fly... 5, 10, or 20 yards. Which one will they pick every time? And it won't be just because of the pattern either...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

As for what I posted, My rifles are zeroed for 200-300 yards usually not 50. Hitting a running deer at 100 yards is easier then 50 by far, and at 200 yards even easier.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1 to Scotts post...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Make that a double! laugh

[Linked Image]

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like to shoot them in the shoulders. I don't like looking for wounded deer. I hunt close to fence. If he goes over the fence, he is lost.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by ingwe
Make that a double! laugh

[Linked Image]

Make that "squared"!!!
smile smile smile smile

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (2ndwind, aaronward9, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 31 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.