Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
I am thinking of scoping the rifle with a 3.5-10x40 CDS or 4.5-14x40 CDS. I am just wondering how crucial it would be to have parallax adjustment capability? Trying to decide on an AO or side focus option or just a standard one inch scope without parallax adjustment capabilities.
What feedback can you give me?

As power goes up, the lack of PA becomes more apparent at further distances. As said, being centered behind the scope helps mitigate potential issues.

Another option I've done on fixed scopes, is to reset the parallax to 400 yards and not fret the closer range stuff. Easily done yourself w/o shipping the scope to Leupold and paying their $25.00 fee. There's a couple threads here on how to do it.

I've also reset many non AO scopes myself; and looking back can think of several more that I would have done if I'd known how.

Its all well and good to say that typical hunting scopes don't need an AO, and that's mostly true when everything is set and working properly. I often stretch a hunting rifle out farther than I'd use that particular one in the field on my home range, and once in a while the limiting factor is the parallax after a certain distance. I did a couple this spring that were adequate at 500 but basically unusable at 650. Unusable as in could head-shake well off of a IPSC silhouette at that distance. It doesn't take much, a quarter turn is a lot. Usually if I set for 300 it gives up a little at 100 but from 2 to infinity its as good as I'd ever expect or need. Now that I think of it, it tends to be a 4.5-14 that gets the strap wrench and hacksaw blade treatment.

Somehow, using a AO scope on a hunting rifle now doesn't seem to be as big a pain now as it once did.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
If you're shooting at a barn.....not much! On the other hand if it's a horsefly....a lot!

I'd assume we're talking BG, given the forum we're in and the OP.

Don't assume!

It's a safe assumption. The OP said it's a LR hunting rifle for bean fields. If he's hunting horseflies I'd be surprised...

And for your hunting rifle maybe you just want to hit a basket ball at the end of a beanfield whereas I want mine to explode golf balls!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're shooting at a barn.....not much! On the other hand if it's a horsefly....a lot!

I'd assume we're talking BG, given the forum we're in and the OP.

Don't assume!

It's a safe assumption. The OP said it's a LR hunting rifle for bean fields. If he's hunting horseflies I'd be surprised...

And for your hunting rifle maybe you just want to hit a basket ball at the end of a beanfield whereas I want mine to explode golf balls!!

Well actually, yeah that's usually about the gist of it! If you can hit a basket ball at any given range, a BG critter is going to be in trouble.

But for the sake of argument, here's 1000 words. This was shot with a lightweight hunting rifle and a 6x fixed-parallax scope:

[Linked Image]

9x FP on the same LW hunting rifle...

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I concur with Jordan....

700 yards... Light Weight hunting rifle... 3-9x with fixed parallax... little under .7 MOA.... to POA...

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I was out shooting today doing some chronograph work and dialing in a new rifle, my new rifle wears the new Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 with no AO or side focus. I wanted to try this scope on this rifle just to have the lightest set up I could and to try something new. I had a couple other rifles with me One had a VX-3 4.5-14x40 AO and the other had a 4.5-14 LR 30mm with side focus.

After spending the day with these 3 scopes I hate my new VX-3i, there are ranges where you can tell parallax is present and it drove me nuts not being able to do any thing about it except turn the power down

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Send the scope to Leupold and have them reset the parallax for 400 yds. A little parallax at 100-200 yds. isn't going to make difference on a big game animal.
Or you can you can create a doughnut around the scope by getting closer or further away from the center of the eye box. Center the image in the doughnut and the parallax is gone. E

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Send the scope to Leupold and have them reset the parallax for 400 yds. A little parallax at 100-200 yds. isn't going to make difference on a big game animal.
Or you can you can create a doughnut around the scope by getting closer or further away from the center of the eye box. Center the image in the doughnut and the parallax is gone. E

That's a good idea. Thanks

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Parallax adjustment is not as important as the shooter behind the scope.i wouldn't be afraid of 600yds at something as small as a coyote if I had a good rangefinder and a 10x Bushnell tactical.It all depends on how seasoned you are and the familiarity with your equipment.Ymmv

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Oheremicus

It is a good idea,works very well in any position that you'd be shooting something at 600yds.

Last edited by SawDoctor; 09/06/16.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 67 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,656
Posts18,455,584
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.