Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
WOW, that was something I was loading some primers in some cases today for my .223 and I had one primer that wasn't seated all the way in so I give it another slam and it fired, I'm betting I'm not the first guy that had this happen to him. smile

Last edited by Outbackandy; 08/19/16.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A buddy did that once while I was sitting in loading room with him. He was loading for his Mini and I was looking the rifle over when the primer popped.

Neither of us knew WTF for a second, both thought the "unloaded " gun went off. Figured out it was just the primer he had wedged between the case and primer holder.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Outbackandy
WOW, that was something I was loading some primers in some cases today for my .223 and I had one primer that wasn't seated all the way in so I give it another slam and it fired, I'm betting I'm not the first guy that had this happen to him. smile

When seating primers I've never given one a first slam, let alone a second.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, slamming isn't good for seating primers, which is why I don't use the priming "system" with Lee Loaders anymore, even when I use the loaders themselves. Had a Large Rifle primer go off when I was 13 when using the Lee Loader for my Mosin-Nagant, and never wanted it to happen again. And it hasn't!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use an RCBS hand priming tool and always point it away from me and I wear safety glasses.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had one go off on me in an old Ç-H press. A small piece of metal about the size of #12 shot had gotten in the primer cup somehow. It was spooky and you can bet to this day I make sure the primer cup is clean before I start.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Allen917
I had one go off on me in an old Ç-H press. A small piece of metal about the size of #12 shot had gotten in the primer cup somehow. It was spooky and you can bet to this day I make sure the primer cup is clean before I start.
Yea,I found that I to had a small shaving of a casing in the primer cup, and I did slow down on my loading now, I was doing the second set of one hundred loads and I just wanted to get done with them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman

laugh Just slam that sombeetch in there... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

++
If that doesn't work the use a Hammer and beat it in

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Riverrider,You must be a real idiot posting a photo like that, a primer has less of a bang then a firecracker....

Last edited by Outbackandy; 08/21/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I deserve credit for being able to post a pic.

The least you could do is consider the notion that once in a great while, some oddball will make a half-assed effort to post something to bring a touch of humor into a discussion.

If you doubt the power of a large rifle primer, I'd suggest that you NOT smack one with a hammer to find out, like I did when I was 11 years old.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For anybody who hasn't done it, take a primed empty case, put it in your rifle and fire it.

For full effect do this inside with no hearing protection.

Oh yeah, warn the wife before you do this.

Afterwards remove the bolt and look down the barrel. It will look just as dirty as it looked after your last range session.

The experience will give you more respect for the amount of power contained in that tiny primer.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Outbackandy: I am certainly happy you were NOT injured!
My friend was using his Lee handpriming tool to re-prime about 500 45 ACP cases while he and his wife and two daughters were watching T.V. one evening a few years ago.
At a tense moment in the movie they were watching his priming tool "lit one off"!
I guess it was really loud and in the confines of their T.V. room.
There were screaming crying girls running in every direction for a while - and again luckily no one was injured.
I have been reloading centerfire Rifle cartridges since I taught myself to do so when I was 12 years old - I am now 69 and I have never had a primer detonate on me as I was installing them (a couple hundred thousand rounds?)!
No, you are not the first, but I tend to think your incident did NOT need to happen.
NO slamming nothing, when I am reloading.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bea175
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

++
If that doesn't work the use a Hammer and beat it in

LOL. laugh

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
For anybody who hasn't done it, take a primed empty case, put it in your rifle and fire it.

For full effect do this inside with no hearing protection.

Oh yeah, warn the wife before you do this.

Afterwards remove the bolt and look down the barrel. It will look just as dirty as it looked after your last range session.

The experience will give you more respect for the amount of power contained in that tiny primer.

Good suggestion..... I think... whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One time to be careful is if you are seating primers in brass that has had the primer pockets crimped. When you ream the crimps out sometimes little bits of brass can fall into the priming arm cup and when you seat the primer the piece of brass indents the primer like a firing pin.

I've made it a habit to make sure there is a die in the press so that if the primer blows it won't come up through empty hole In the press into my face.

Eat moose, burn spruce
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I use an RCBS hand priming tool and always point it away from me and I wear safety glasses.

Good idea. I was using a RCBS hand priming tool and had a hundred primers go off while gently shaking the tray to flip the primers. No one has figured out what really happened and RCBS made it right but it sure got my attention. Wrecked a pair of new jeans, scorch mark on the right leg and bruise under the scorch mark. Fingers of my right hand stung for about a half day. I found another piece of the priming tray last week.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, slamming isn't good for seating primers, which is why I don't use the priming "system" with Lee Loaders anymore, even when I use the loaders themselves. Had a Large Rifle primer go off when I was 13 when using the Lee Loader for my Mosin-Nagant, and never wanted it to happen again. And it hasn't!

The 'tap-in' method which is used by those little Lee Loader sets is the only "system" I have seen which involves that kind of sharp impact when seating primers. Fortunately it is also a very safe and contained method - probably the most contained since the primer is fully enclosed when it is being seated. And I have had 'several' primers go off when using Lee Loaders over the years.

AS far as I have been able to figure, you could get into trouble in two ways with them: once if you have unprotected eyes above the case mouth (where the primer explosion is released between the case neck and the primer seating rod...the tolerances being quite small there); the second could potentially happen, and this would be the bigger concern, if you had a quantity of primers exposed nearby which could be detonated by the ignition of the one inside the tool parts.

Open primers are certainly nothing to trifle with. 30 years ago my 'foolish curiosity' caused me to pursue a controlled experiment whereby I 'discovered' that primers in an otherwise empty case will propel themselves out of the primer pocket with sufficient force to penetrate cardboard boxes. Knowing that, I later disposed of perhaps 40 primers from old ammo by placing them in a soup can which was buried in soil with only the open end exposed skyward. When a crumpled paper 'wick' finally burned down and the primers went off, the sides of the can were perforated and the can bottom was well protruded.

While I don't load 'varmint ammo' by the thousands as some do, I have somewhat unconsciously made it a habit to load primers 20-30 at a time into primer trays anymore, even when I'm priming several hundred cases. Knowing what they can do.....

But back to the Lee Loader incidents, after a few 'surprises', I developed a method where I would hold the priming rod near the mouth of the case so I could gauge the seating of the primer with a few light taps and then stop. It seems that continued taps after the primer is fully seated is what causes Lee Loader 'surprises'.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the Lee Auto-prime hand tools. In the interest of safety I only put 20 primers at a time in the tray, usually. My max is 25 at one time if I am loading lots of 50 or 100 cases.

Something I have only noticed with the tool set up for the small primers: once in a while a primer will bounce up on edge on the seating bolt and try to seat sideways. I caught a couple before exerting much force. That seems a good way to induce a discharge. Now I visually inspect for proper presentation before I give the handle a squeeze. It just takes a split second to check.

Scott,
It sounds like you had an exciting experience. I am glad you came out okay.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 76 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.