Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11393933 08/23/16
B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
My Mountain hardware lamina is done in , looking for a new bag. Anyone have a bag they are using they are happy with?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I need a new one, too. My old down bag is older than most of you guys. It only lofts to about 2" any more. Last week I tried to use it in the low 30's and darn near froze to death.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Been looking at the western mountaineering bags....

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have a few I am mostly happy with, but none that are perfect, although a couple I could get to perfect with some tweaking.

I like the Marmot Helium, just a draft collar would make it better. I have a feathered friends flicker, a tiny bit wider in the waist would make it perfect (or me loosing a few lbs) .

Both work well ... but not perfect for me, but close enough . The FF is lighter and gets used more, but the Marmot goes when I feel I may be wearing more clothes.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
RC, get Western Mountaineering Versalite, or if you want something roomier, the Alpinlite.

I use a Superlite and a Versalite. My wife uses an Alpinlite.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Brad
RC, get Western Mountaineering Versalite, or if you want something roomier, the Alpinlite.

I use a Superlite and a Versalite. My wife uses an Alpinlite.

I have an advantage when it comes to weight. I pack with llamas so a couple extra pounds matters not. I need them to compress fairly small, though, to fit in the panniers better.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be heading out on a sheep hunt with a new EE Revelation quilt here in the next while, and I'm fairly sure I'll be a full convert to quilts, based on preliminary testing. Might consider trying one if you're going to replace the old bag.

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I'll be heading out on a sheep hunt with a new EE Revelation quilt here in the next while, and I'm fairly sure I'll be a full covert to quilts, based on preliminary testing. Might consider trying one of you're going to replace the old bag.

Those look interesting.

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Jordan are you going stone sheep hunting? If so im jealous.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BCJR

That's on the bucket list, but this'll be my annual BH hunt.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Second the western mountaineering bags. Use an antelope for late sheep; ultralight for early.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I tried a bag liner one time and, since I'm a lively side sleeper, it was an exercise in entanglement. I've been wondering how it would work with a quilt. In theory, I wouldn't get nearly as wrapped up. A 20F quilt with a liner should get me through any hunting season I'm likely to be out in.

Read the literature. I can't remember the brand but a bag I looked at a few years ago had an interesting note about temperature rating. Most of us think of a 20F bag as being more or less comfortable at 20F. This one said that they rated it as one that would keep you alive at 20F. Not comfortable, just alive. It was probably a 40F bag.

― George Orwell

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

still jealous , wife and I struck out in the brooks range this year. it was brutal weather and all the usual sheep hunting challenges , Home for 4 days and im already thinking about next time.

AKwolverine : Think im going with a western mountaineering bag , hearing lots of good things.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I tried a bag liner one time and, since I'm a lively side sleeper, it was an exercise in entanglement. I've been wondering how it would work with a quilt. In theory, I wouldn't get nearly as wrapped up.

My situation exactly, and I'm about to find out on the quilt/liner thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

still jealous , wife and I struck out in the brooks range this year. it was brutal weather and all the usual sheep hunting challenges , Home for 4 days and im already thinking about next time.

AKwolverine : Think im going with a western mountaineering bag , hearing lots of good things.

Sorry to hear things didn't cooperate. That's usually how it goes for me where I hunt in OTC zones. I hear you on daydreaming about sheep hunting from the moment I get back in the truck to head home grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm still running the MH Ultra Lamina 15 and will do so until it falls apart... Closing in on 200 nights in mine I believe...

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner
I'm still running the MH Ultra Lamina 15 and will do so until it falls apart... Closing in on 200 nights in mine I believe...

Tanner

That's what I was using before grabbing this quilt. Still a great option for wet hunting.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I need a new one, too. My old down bag is older than most of you guys. It only lofts to about 2" any more. Last week I tried to use it in the low 30's and darn near froze to death.

You have lived well!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've tried MH, FF, WM, Integral Designs, and Valandre, among others. Overall my top pick goes to the Valandre Mirage for an all arounder. WM and FF are right there with it, just depends on your cut and design preference.
I intend to try Brooks Range one of these years, but can't justify ditching the Mirage.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Western mountaineering kodiak Wide bag nice for rolling around

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.