Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I tried a bag liner one time and, since I'm a lively side sleeper, it was an exercise in entanglement. I've been wondering how it would work with a quilt. In theory, I wouldn't get nearly as wrapped up. A 20F quilt with a liner should get me through any hunting season I'm likely to be out in.

Read the literature. I can't remember the brand but a bag I looked at a few years ago had an interesting note about temperature rating. Most of us think of a 20F bag as being more or less comfortable at 20F. This one said that they rated it as one that would keep you alive at 20F. Not comfortable, just alive. It was probably a 40F bag.

This would be my experience, my North Face 0F rated bag was not comfortable in single digit temps. Not at all.

You folks who are trying the quilt option, I'll sure be looking for your posts on how they work out. I, too, am not much for laying out flat and sleeping in a tight bag.

For truck camping I'm actually thinking I'm going to sheepskin rugs and wool blankets.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For truck camping I'm actually thinking I'm going to sheepskin rugs and wool blankets.
You'll get a lot of extra body heat if you leave the sheep attached.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

RC,

How would you know, I thought you ID folks left that kind of stuff up to the WY and MT fellas grin

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad

RC,

How would you know, I thought you ID folks left that kind of stuff up to the WY and MT fellas grin

Geno
I had an army mummy bag with the chickens still attached to the feathers.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

RC,

Geno
I had an army mummy bag with the chickens still attached to the feathers.

I know that one too.

My first bag with Boy Scouts was a cotton, flannel one. It was so heavy I think the dirt from the roots of the cotton plants got incorporated into the bag!

Geno

In it is contentment

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm in love with my EE quilts. I've been good down to the stated temps and sleep as well or better then my bed at home.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BCJR,
I was in a small climbing/outdoor shop in Wasilla in 2002 or 2003 IIRC. They were going out of business and had crazy good sales going on.

They had a WM -40 bag on sale from $830 to $300. I had it in my hand, but I had just bought a Wiggys bag and really couldn't afford it. So I passed, but my friend who was with me got it just because of the price.

This friend spent five years in Point Hope, using that bag on his late season trips. Since then he teaches Outdoor Rec classes in SE. He has put in a HUGE number of days in that bag and it is holding up great. Since then he has also bought two more WM bags for summer camping.

I really should have bought that bag!

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I'm in love with my EE quilts. I've been good down to the stated temps and sleep as well or better then my bed at home.

Yep. Just got back from chasing sheep for a week, and 5 of the 7 days had us socked in the shelter. That Downtek down sure works better than regular down. My bivy and quilt got pretty soaked at the head and foot areas, and the quilt still lofted and insulated like a champ. I was plenty warm and had lots of freedom to move around and vent when I got too hot. Always used mummy bags for backpacking, and after this first trip with the EE quilt I'm sold on 'em, assuming it holds up to use.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BCJR
Been looking at the western mountaineering bags....

I have used a Western Mountaineering Antelope for five years. I'm not as slim as I used to be and it's a little tight. I think I've about grown into the Sequoia, which is a little roomier.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (12344mag, 2UP, 35, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,468
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.