Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Someone had just posted one here that looked awful nice. Kinda threw a craving on me. Lol.

Happened by a local shop yesterday, and lo and be hold, there was a pretty one sitting in the case. I'm not much of a handgun guy and know little about Smiths.

What is a good price?

It is marked as a 15-6. 4" bbl. Bluing looks good. No holster wear or other marks on the metal. Light ring around the cylinder. Wood S&W stocks (they looked a little thick but fit very well?) had some small dings but overall in good shape.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You'd be hard pressed to find a nice one for under $450.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks.

Been looking through Gunbroker and they are all over the map but haven't seen much, if any, south of $450 for sure.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You saw the one I posted the other day, it was more than $450.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
15-6 late 80's through mid 90's.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Solid years or hold out for an earlier model?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And yes, it was yours. Just went back and found it.

That is a good looking handgun.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Would bother me, I'm not quite the 'snob' on years. I do like them before the internal locks and MIM parts.

People will pay more for older/pinned etc guns.

How much are they asking?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
$500

It'll be $550 when the state gets it cut.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
If it's in good shape, I wouldn't hesitate.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
a guy on a local forum has what he calls a smith & wesson model "D" for sale, three sets of grips, none original, 2inch. For 500bucks.
it's really a K frame model 19, if that gives you any comparison.
he hasn't sold it yet.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
a guy on a local forum has what he calls a smith & wesson model "D" for sale, three sets of grips, none original, 2inch. For 500bucks.
he hasn't sold it yet.

Hah. Not really Ron.

I don't follow whats what in S&W land. Just really liked the classic look of that Model 15 SH had posted, then ran into one at the shop. Just don't know if I'd be better off looking elsewhere for a better deal or if the -6 means it would be a less desirable to the extent I wouldn't get the money back out of it if I decide to move it down the road.

Thanks though!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
he hasn't sold it yet.

Hah. Not really Ron.

I don't follow whats what in S&W land. Just really liked the classic look of that Model 15 SH had posted, then ran into one at the shop. Just don't know if I'd be better off looking elsewhere for a better deal or if the -6 means it would be a less desirable to the extent I wouldn't get the money back out of it if I decide to move it down the road.

Thanks though!
The 6 would be from the era where they had done away with recessed chambers and pinned barrels, most likely. This makes it less desirable than the earlier models which were thought to have better workmanship besides those two features. It would be more desirable than the current MIM models and those with the Clinton lock. The 15 was made in such quantities that collectors would only want and absolutely pristine gun, which is not what you describe.

Steelhead has bought several S&W's lately and probably knows the market. The "market" is difficult to gauge since there are essentially now two of them, the national market including Gunbroker, where people buy them online and the local market including gunshows and local shops. The two overlap but are not always the same.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by MadMooner
he hasn't sold it yet.

Hah. Not really Ron.

Thanks though!
The 6 would be from the era where they had done away with recessed chambers and pinned barrels, most likely. This makes it less desirable than the earlier models which were thought to have better workmanship besides those two features. It would be more desirable than the current MIM models and those with the Clinton lock. The 15 was made in such quantities that collectors would only want and absolutely pristine gun, which is not what you describe.

Steelhead has bought several S&W's lately and probably knows the market. The "market" is difficult to gauge since there are essentially now two of them, the national market including Gunbroker, where people buy them online and the local market including gunshows and local shops. The two overlap but are not always the same.

Model 15's NEVER had recessed cylinders, regardless of the dash.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would snag it at that price. I have a Model 15-7. It shoots great and is easy to hit with. I even carry it concealed some times.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead

IME recessed cylinders look cool and are OK for a fun gun but I pass on them for serious work. YMMV

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

IME recessed cylinders look cool and are OK for a fun gun but I pass on them for serious work. YMMV

Define serious? Okay, you take the Model 15 without the recessed cylinders, and I'll take it's brother the Model 19 with recessed cylinders. Then we'll see what's serious.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by USSR1991

Define serious? Okay, you take the Model 15 without the recessed cylinders, and I'll take it's brother the Model 19 with recessed cylinders. Then we'll see what's serious.

Don

Define serious. Okay, you take the Model 19 with recessed cylinders and I'll take my PC627 without recessed cylinders and 8 shot moon clips.

Gee, wasn't that fun.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U

Don

Define serious. Okay, you take the Model 19 with recessed cylinders and I'll take my PC627 without recessed cylinders and 8 shot moon clips.

Gee, wasn't that fun.

Only fun for you if you need more than 6 rounds. Personally, I shoot regularly and business is taken care of well before 6 rounds.

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Don

Gee, wasn't that fun.

Only fun for you if you need more than 6 rounds. Personally, I shoot regularly and business is taken care of well before 6 rounds.

How many gunfights have you been in?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

623 members (10Glocks, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 75 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,308
Posts18,449,130
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.