Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Alamosa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My old blue heeler passed on this past weekend. He is the dog in my avatar.

I owe it to him to share two days from his life where he went above and beyond. He was named Peyton, named after the small town in Colorado where we got him. If you like dogs you will probably enjoy this.

The first occurred on Pikes Peak some years ago. We had hiked up the West side of the peak to watch the Pikes Peak Hillclimb race. It was a great day and an enjoyable race and many of the hikers (including us) stayed up there too long. A dark stormfront was moving in fast from the West and it became clear that things were going to get ugly. Hikers hurried down the trail as fast as they could. The young and fit ones ran. Peyton was terrified of thunder and would shiver from fear of it. For whatever reason, on that day the safety of those hikers mattered more to him than his own fears. Instead of running for the safety of the trees below timberline, the herding dog instinct in him took over and he ran back up the mountain toward the slowest stragglers on the trail, poked a nose into the back of each of their legs and urged them to move it along. Some exclaimed “He’s herding me!” Peyton wasn’t one of those herding dogs that always tried to herd everything in sight but on that day it REALLY kicked in. He ran along the entire line of hikers urging each one of them to move it along. Some of the hikers remarked that he was the smartest one of us on the trail that day … and the bravest. We all got plenty wet but it was a huge relief when the slowest hikers behind us finally reached the trees. At least then they weren’t the tallest things sticking up on the slope. Peyton brought up the rear while looking back over his shoulder

A couple of years later he distinguished himself in a very different sort of way. It was a drought year and we were trying to find some pheasants in Kansas. Hunting conditions were poor. We had seen nothing all day. In one of the sandhills areas we found some walk-in fields that were as not good but the best we were going to find. As we made our way across toward the end of a pretty big field I noticed a fella sitting on the tailgate of an older green pickup. His friend appeared to be hunting something on another nearby field with a small rifle. As we got to within maybe 100 yards Peyton put up a rooster and I shot it. The young man clapped and gave us a thumbs-up. We walked up to his tailgate and said Hi. He said that seeing me get that bird with a blue heeler just made his whole day. He told me that when he and his friend had pulled up one of those corporate hunting convoys was just then leaving. I knew exactly what type group he was talking about. You see these type convoys sometimes in Kansas – a guides camo F350 truck, a stainless steel trailer full of dogs, a few more SUV’s and pickups behind filled with guided hunters. The young man told me that one of the guides told him as he drove up, “Don’t even bother. We just covered that field with four of the best dogs in the country.” He said that discouraging message prompted him to take a break and his partner to try hunting whatever with the rifle. They had seen nothing all day, and didn’t have a dog. We talked for a few more minutes and shared another laugh about how an old ranch dog put up a rooster that four of the ‘best dogs in the country’ had somehow missed. We wished each other luck and goodbye. After another 75 yards or so Peyton put up another rooster that I shot. At that point the fella on the tailgate might have been happier than I was if that was possible.

Rest in Peace buddy. I had no idea that I would miss you so much. I know many, many of us have felt this pain.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Alamosa; 08/24/16.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sorry for your loss, and a very fine and fitting tribute, we all should be so lucky.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Dogs.....Thank You God for giving us dogs.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry to hear of this.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
N
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
I never knew Peyton, but somehow after reading your post, I miss him too. RIP

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sorry about loosing your companion. If we are lucky we get one like that in our lives. Fitting post.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry for your loss.

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Damn allergies. R.I.P. Peyton Good Dog!!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good looking pup.

Congrats on having had a great dog. Condolences on having to say goodbye.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good Dog, Peyton.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
There's nothing like a good dog...nothing.

So sorry for your loss.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
There's nothing like a good dog...nothing.

Yep.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
most of us have gone through the pain of losing a good dog. It's never easy, and trust me, they are all special, and much loved.

Sam......

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sorry about the knot in your throat.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Damn allergies. Sorry for your loss.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
sorry for your loss, RIP Peyton

.... like tears in the rain
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sorry for your loss, few things in life give so much to you as a good dog.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good stories! Glad you got to share your life with a good dog. Sorry he's gone.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I dont get cat people, they just cant compare...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry. I've got a red heeler, she's 13. Going to see the vet, Casey has a lump. Hoping it's just a lump.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,929 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.