Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by T LEE
If a student cannot do this I will not issue a certificate but will give remedial instruction for two 1 hour sessions if needed and if they then pass first try they get the Certificate. I am not in it to make money simply make SAFE shooters!

So is that the course of fire you made up or what the state requires? They don't require anything do they?

I really disagree with their being ANY licensing requirement at all, but to make your own personal requirements even more stringent than what the state mandates, in order for someone to exercise their constitutional rights, is just crazy to me.

Blue, my course of fire. I want them to be safe and be able to hit what they are shooting at. State only requires they safely load 1 round and fire it down range.

BTW, if they flunk with me and don't get a certificate I refund their money, only had to do it twice so far but it would be my signature on the line and that ain't gonna happen. Under FL law you CAN carry concealed a loaded gun in your place of business,home and property, you CAN also keep a loaded firearm in your vehicle as long as it is out of sight and contained in a holster, glove box or gun case.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Our course of fire consists of 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 10 yards and 10 rounds at 15 yards. The target is a B-27. Anything in the 8ring is 5 points, the 7ring is 4 points and the rest of the body is 3 points. 70% to pass as a student, the instructor course is a 90% pass.

Has it always been this? I did mine years ago, and I don't remember even having to shoot at 15yds... Maybe I'm just forgetting it, like I said, has been a while.

I thought then that the test was pretty pathetic.

And, on one hand, I agree about shouldn't even have to do it. But on the other, seeing some of the folks that were there and are now carrying.... Hmmmm....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I did mine about 20 years ago in MO. At that time I think you shot 10 rounds from both a revolver and a pistol at 3 yards. Maybe backed up to 5 yards for a few.

Looking at Sarges post, perhaps they were all from 7 yards. I don't recall. It seemed very short. Definately both pistol and revolver though.

Last edited by supercrewd; 08/24/16.

NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Shooting at targets is a whole lot different than tactical shooting. Target shooting proves nothing other than ability to hit a stationary target at a specific distance while stationary. Gunfights don't work that way.

While I've never had to take such a course, if a course doesn't teach avoidance, getting the heck out of a bad guy's line of sight, identifying barriers, and running away, it's inherently deficient. A comprehensive course would teach potential bad guy recognition.

The only two rules of gunfighting that are controlling:

1. Don't get in one

2. If Rule 1 is unavoidable, don't get shot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have to be legal to own a handgun, nics check. Pay money, leave.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No course of fire in WA. Fill out the paperwork, let them fingerprint you and pay them their money. 30 days later you have your CCW.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About the instructors...Why should the ability to shoot be required for an instructor? What they need is the ability to TEACH, to pass on what they know. Many will be surpassed by the students at the firing line if they can TEACH the students what to do correctly. That's good. Yes, it's more ideal if the instructor can demonstrate it, but if they have the ability to turn a beginner into a good shooter, that's what they're there for.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
About the instructors...Why should the ability to shoot be required for an instructor? What they need is the ability to TEACH, to pass on what they know. Many will be surpassed by the students at the firing line if they can TEACH the students what to do correctly. That's good. Yes, it's more ideal if the instructor can demonstrate it, but if they have the ability to turn a beginner into a good shooter, that's what they're there for.

Teaching is important and can be done by those that like others to do what they say.

But when an instructor can demonstrate what it is he wants the student to achieve, it gives that instructor credibility.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
At the very highest levels of the art an instructor might need to instruct a shooter to do something that he can't do himself. But for what 95% of people want to know they should have every expectation that the instructor should be able to do what they're teaching.

Becoming a good shooter is about mastering the fundamentals of shooting and overcoming the common problems that nearly everyone encounters. And if you haven't been through that journey and come out in the other side then you should keep your mouth shut and keep on journeying, IMO.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've found that the ones that preach "You don't have to be a great shooter to be a great instructor" are the ones that can't shoot for dog schit.

They also tend to be the proverbial "range Nazi."

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blue,

Oregon requires that for a concealed carry permit that You have experience as shown by classes taken, job or military experience, etc. Lacking this You are required to take a so called class.

As a handgun 'enthusiast' I spend too much time at gunshops looking over/handling the wares. I often see folks (not always but mostly women) new to firearms come in and be shown a few handguns, quite often buying. Great new folks in the fold! They often have no idea how to load, fire or even safely handle the handgun, except what the clerk shows them prior to and during the sale. They either ask about or the shops promote their own concealed carry class... most offer "No Shoot" classes. Why? it is quick, easy, doesn't require a trip to the range and no shoot classes qualify under Oregon's concealed carry permit requirements.

Blue, I too am leery of government mandated tests, particularly since under some administrations they could be used to deny carry. But what I describe above is pretty common here... someone with no prior firearm experience taking a class that has no live fire and then carrying.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 08/25/16.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Bugger
Just passed my state course. The instructor was very good. He was out of Watertown, SD.

I shoot a lot so the best thing about the course for me was the State laws.

If you ever come to Sturgis on a motorcycle, beware!! If you have a pistol on your belt in plain sight you must have a concealed weapons permit!

One other thing, I have been known to keep a revolver in a locked compartment in my truck. This compartment is locked by my ignition key. If there is a person in the truck under 18 and I step in a convenient store leaving the kid in the truck, I can be arrested and charged.
I recommend the course!!

If you want to learn to shoot, this may not be the first choice.

It's been 'bout a decade since I've moved away from SD, but the last time I applied for and recieved a SD CCL permit, all it was, was Name, SSN, and Physical Description, deputy called in a NICS check, paid the lady ten bucks, and walked out with your temporary permit. Official permit came in the mail a week later.

When did this change to requiring a class and test?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For my CCW course we fired 30 rounds total at 7, 10, and 15 yards on standard silhouette target after 4 hours of classroom instruction.

Last edited by hillbillybear; 08/25/16.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

οΏ½If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.οΏ½ Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The CCW classes I have taken were a joke. Basically if you could hit a man sized target at 7 yards...not even every time...then you're good to go. Scary.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Why is that scary?

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Why is that scary?

Dave
It was scary because there were people in those classes that just weren't safe with a handgun. And then, under the most ideal of conditions, had a very hard time hitting a human sized target at just 7 yards. In my first class, a full 5 people had to re-shoot because the couldn't even put 50% of their round on a B27 size target the first time. We're talking two handed, slow fire, with a target .22 auto. And had to be reminded several times to keep their finger off the trigger, and to not point the gun at people. They were unsafe. Danger to themselves and others.

I just think the bar ought to be higher...just my opinion.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't believe Ohio has a requirement on the shooting proficiency. I've taken the course twice, once the first year it was offered, shortly thereafter I became an over the road trucker and wasn't allowed to have a firearm with me so I didn't renew after it expired.

Circumstances changed, so last year I went through the course again under a different instructor. I found out after I was there, that the laws had changed and I wouldn't have had to retake it. I was already there anyway and looked at it as a refresher from the one 8 years or so prior. Turns out a lot of laws had changed, and I believe I got a much more thorough overview of the legal system. $75 well spent.

The first time was a 12 hours minimum course time, by the second time it had been reduced to 8 hours minimum, both of which had 2 hours of that being the minimum at the range. Both times I was the only one who scored 100% on the paper test.

Both times there were approximately 8 of us total in class. Both times I felt I was the only one that had any idea about what they were doing shooting. Both times there was a mid-60's lady who struggled to even get one hit on a good-sized target at close range (15' maybe?), with at least one or two others that eventually were keeping them on the target, but barely.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by deflave
Why is that scary?

Dave
It was scary because there were people in those classes that just weren't safe with a handgun. And then, under the most ideal of conditions, had a very hard time hitting a human sized target at just 7 yards. In my first class, a full 5 people had to re-shoot because the couldn't even put 50% of their round on a B27 size target the first time. We're talking two handed, slow fire, with a target .22 auto. And had to be reminded several times to keep their finger off the trigger, and to not point the gun at people. They were unsafe. Danger to themselves and others.

I just think the bar ought to be higher...just my opinion.

How high does the bar need to be for people to exercise their 2nd Amendment right?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

261 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,715
Posts18,457,060
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.