Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
First let me say I HATE trying to layout a flat sawn blank. That said I was sent this gorgeous piece of Cherry for a muzzle loader stock.

As I said the blank is basically flat sawn. Looking at the end grain there is a slight bow that runs along the flat patches of grain.

My plan is to lay the stock along the flat patches thus along the line of the curve. Hopefully giving me the most marbling. [Linked Image]

Thoughts???

I'm sure many of you have laid out this type blank and heck free advice is cheap.

Just my 2 cents.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would lay the comb parallel and as close to the blank edge as possible in the area with the most figure possible.

The loose curl figure will be highlighted on the shoulders of the comb that way and look best. Much of my opinion on that is based on turning wood for a lot of decades and the vertical grain areas will show the most figure.

That is a very nice piece of cherry!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks

I think I need to look again as well as take some better pictures in the sun. If you don't mind I'll send them to you to make sure you see them.

Just my 2 cents.
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R

I normally have no issue laying out a quarter or 3/4 sawn blank. Easy for me to see the grain.
Am I over thinking the flat sawn grain?? Should I be laying it out just like I would for a normal blank?

As you can see some sap wood for the most part not more than 1/4" deep so won't effect the layout much.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

If I ignored the flat grain I would flip and capture the C/D end with the A/C being the top line.

Thoughts?

Just my 2 cents.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I agree with that idea.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks

Just my 2 cents.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't have the experience of others here but flipping it to put the butt on the right of the lower photo is what I would do. You have the curl and the grain going on more on that end.
Especially on a muzzle loader you have the furniture, checkering or inlays in the fore end to compensate for less figure.

I would also give it a swipe with potassium permanganate to see what that does while still a board. I would be tempted to go with an aquavit and steel wool solution but very lightly. As far as flat sawn you are usually ok strength wise if you generally conform to the grain.

The figure is so good on that blank just an oil finish will make it pop.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Due to the angle of the light relative to the wood and camera the one end looks a little flatter... that would go away in hand.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Yep it is amazing how a little angle makes the gain so much different. With light at more of a 90degree both ends are real darn close. As to the finish not my stock. I just remove about 98% of the wood. smile

Just my 2 cents.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,558
Posts18,453,692
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.