Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Guys--I've accumulated a whole bunch of nice rifles and I have a bunch that I never use, some are still NIB. I was thinking of selling them and buying one nice rifle and putting some Alpha glass on it and calling it good. This rifle would be used for hunting elk and mule deer out west with the max shot at 600 yards with the average about 250-300 yards. I've looked at Nosler, Cooper and Best of the West. I can't find any McWhorter, MOA Evolution, Gunwerks or LAW rifles to look at around here. Any suggestions and why? Thanks.

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
It is truly hard to beat LAW for the price they are asking, not sure where you are at but I think Sportsman's carries them at some locations and I heard Cabela's is picking them up as well. My other recommendation would be Fierce, a little heavier gun than the LAW but from what I have seen their accuracy has been truly impressive. Early delivery issues turned some people off but they are up and running now. I believe, again, Cabelas and Sportsman's have them on the shelf at certain locations.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For a semi custom I've had great luck with a Hill Country Rifles Harvester built around a Rem 700 action. For an all out custom I'm in love with my McWhorter Custom 7mm-08.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I were in the market you are I'd probably start with New Ultra Light Arms. Plan be would be to build off of either a Kimber Montana or Montana Rifle Co action, depending.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd call Echols, Simillion or Penrod,and have any of them build a rifle in your chosen cartridge.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sako76,

About 30 years ago, I bought a Sako AV. It'll shoot very tiny groups all day long. I once showed a 3-shot group that could be covered by a dime to a friend who owned many custom built rifles. He said he didn't have one that shot as accurately as my Sako.

I own two Sako AV's: a .270 Win & a 7MM Rem Mag

I had thought about buying a used Sako AV and installing a .280 Rem Bartlein barrel on it. But when lucidity returned, I had decided to use my .270 Win instead. As it is, I have center rifles I don't use and probably won't use. But were I to buy another rifle, it'd be a Sako.

The point is if you own a Sako, you might already own the rifle of your dreams.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Before you buy anything evaluate why you don't like any of the rifles you own so you will know how this new rifle needs to be different. Then you will have your answer as to who needs to build your new rifle and how it needs to be built.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 08/25/16.
TDN Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Some good advice here. It seems like you have a little flexibility on time as you have other rifles to sell and hunt with. So, I would pick the action you like the most and identify a stock pattern for it by McMillan, Bansner, or Brown that you know fits you well and call a recommended smith and talk through barrel choices and weight goals and you're on your way to a rifle that fits you on an action you like.

I recently did a similar purge and build and had a 7mm RM built on a Model 70 Classic SS action in a Bansner stock and have a S&B Summit on top and love it.

Good luck!

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'll throw GAP into the mix.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1. GAP if I had the money
2. Cooper

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shiloh Sharps, but get in line.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Go custom. Talk to several smiths and find one you can work with. Get the action you want that the smith also likes and get the stock fitted to you. Depending on your use, stock fitting may not seem all that critical but unless you have had a stock fitted to you, you don't know how sweet handling a rifle can be.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If I were in your shoes I would be talking to the little man named Echols or Mr.Kenny Jarrett. The guys here don't like Jarrett and think his rifles are too high but I challenge you to find a used one for sale. powdr

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I had a Cooper 52 in .30/06 made to my specs. It took a long time to be made and to arrive. When the box was opened, I saw a truly beautiful rifle with great wood and excellent craftsmanship. The test target had a bug hole group. I sold the rifle six (6) months later because:

1. It was way to heavy for a .30/06 hunting rifle.

2. The safety did not lock the bolt.

3. The magazine could not be topped up without removing it from the rifle.

4. The bug hole test target, I learned, was shot at 50 yards (instead of 100 yards) with carefully crafted handloads. At 100 yards, with factory loads, an FN made Model 70 featherweight shot groups half the size of the Cooper (.5") with factory loads.

6. Beautiful does not equal accurate or useful. So I sold it for what I paid for it and never regretted that decision.

My recommendation would be to buy a late 40's or early 50's beater Winchester Model 70 and send it to Kenny Jarrett so he can turn it into one of his famous Beanfield rifles. This will set you back $6K plus your action. Or contact Stuart Satterlee in South Dakota and have him make you up one of his North American rifles built on a VZ 24 Mauser action that he will supply as part of the deal. These are superb rifles in the $4K range.

Evolution Gun Works builds some fine rifles based on the pre '64 Model 70 action as well.

Or, you could simply buy a current production Winchester Model 70 featherweight, put a very good scope on it and have a rifle that will likely shoot as well as most customs for a fraction of the cost.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
another option....
buy an action from borden rifles and and have Jim barrel it for you then send have him send it off to have it bedded in a mcmillan stock by Tom Meredith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
I had a Cooper 52 in .30/06 made to my specs. It took a long time to be made and to arrive. When the box was opened, I saw a truly beautiful rifle with great wood and excellent craftsmanship. The test target had a bug hole group. I sold the rifle six (6) months later because:

4. The bug hole test target, I learned, was shot at 50 yards (instead of 100 yards) with carefully crafted handloads. At 100 yards, with factory loads, an FN made Model 70 featherweight shot groups half the size of the Cooper (.5") with factory loads.

6. Beautiful does not equal accurate or useful. So I sold it for what I paid for it and never regretted that decision.

My recommendation would be to buy a late 40's or early 50's beater Winchester Model 70 and send it to Kenny Jarrett so he can turn it into one of his famous Beanfield rifles. This will set you back $6K plus your action. Or contact Stuart Satterlee in South Dakota and have him make you up one of his North American rifles built on a VZ 24 Mauser action that he will supply as part of the deal. These are superb rifles in the $4K range.

Evolution Gun Works builds some fine rifles based on the pre '64 Model 70 action as well.

Or, you could simply buy a current production Winchester Model 70 featherweight, put a very good scope on it and have a rifle that will likely shoot as well as most customs for a fraction of the cost.

---------------------------------------------------------

$6000 for a "Beanfield Rifle"!!

Show us picture of one!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Assuming you don't share my predjudice in favor of various CRFs, I'd suggest a Nula. Never owned one, but saw a guy shooting one at the range and even twenty feet away, the quality was obvious. He was a very happy camper.

While I need another rifle like I need another winky, someday I might just order up a couple (I've got two sons in line for my stuff).

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Savage_99

---------------------------------------------------------

$6000 for a "Beanfield Rifle"!!

Show us picture of one!

Go to Kenny's website for a pic. A very plain looking rifle that will drive tacks. Sometimes, you get what you pay for. This is one of those times.

For a lot less, you can, as I advised, buy an FN Model 70 featherweight. A 30/06 of that persuasion that I recently sighted in for a friend consistently shot .5" @ 100 yards with Barnes TTSX factory ammunition and had a very good trigger for a hunting rifle. But the OP said he wanted a custom or semi-custom rifle and they don't come cheap....

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Not much to disagree with here.

Minor variation on the same theme. Gene Simillion.

[Linked Image]

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Sako76 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Guys, thanks for all the advice, keep it coming.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,856
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.