Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just how soft are they? First bullets I ever used along with the old style Silvertips (that I miss!) on deer and hogs black bear. so maybe this question is rhetorical, but how would they work on elk out of a (gay) 270?
smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a gun writer obviously, but I've used them some for caribou in various calibers... 22, 7mm, 30. I believe they are very similar in general performance to Core-lokts, Interlocks, or Power-shoks and work well as long as one follows the traditional rule for picking a weight which allows enough length to 'burn off' without using 'everything' up before adequate penetration had occurred.

That said, I had a friend years ago who had hunted elk for decades with his 270 Winchester M70 and 150 Core-lokts before he learned that it was barely adequate, not accurate enough, and that he should be using "real bullets" for the task. I don't know how he got things so screwed up since this was before we had internet...or personal computers even, but he did. Its was funny, after dabbling with stuff that was supposedly better, he always went back to grabbing a green box of 150 grain Core-lokts, and meat ended up on the table. PowerPoints are similarly more of the same from what I have seen.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks. I know Core Lockts went through a change that weakened them significantly, so I was wondering if Winchester did the same to Power Points. My uncle used old fashioned 130gr Silvertips to take TWO (!) lions back in the 60s and a crapload of other African PG, not to mention every critter in his home state of Wyoming since the 1950s..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
From a small sampling of recovered specimens at my deer camp, it seems the Power Points in 150 grain 30-06 ammo were stouter than similarly loaded Core Lokts. The peeled back jacket looked thicker.

I don't have a 270 comparison.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 150 PP in .270 is a tough bullet. I'd use it on Bear, Elk, or Moose.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With proper placement, one should have no issues there at all.

1Minute
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
How about a 130 PP?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The problem with the 130 PP would be the extra velocity over a 150. Velocity is the real enemy of cup-and-core bullets, even relatively tough ones.

I've shot a bunch of animals over the decades with various Power Points, including 100's in the .243, 150's in the .270, and 180's in the .30-40 Krag. They all worked fine, but muzzle velocity never exceeded about 2800 fps.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks John. Reason I'm asking I picked up a very nice pre-64 Featherweight in (gay) 270 made in 57 with an old Leupold 4X and some four boxes of new 130 PPs that it plunks into tiny groups. I'd love to take it to Idaho and I don't have that much time (or desire at the moment) for load development with 130 Triple Shocks..of course smile

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
JorgeI, in years long past, I used the 130gr PP in a rifle like you describe and on big Idaho mule deer. Have no fear, that combo will get the job done and make it look easy.

IC B3

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I forgot to add "elk". I'm still taking my 300 Weatherby and 180 TTSXs, you all know, the best caliber for elk smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember when I was 17 and bought my first CF rifle (circa 1965) a M70 PF in 270Win. I was using the 130 PP deer hunting in the Texas hill country north of San Antonio when my uncle shot a small spike in the ham using a 30-30. Trailing the animal I spotted it slowly hobbling quartering away at about 30 -40 yards. Placed that PP through the rib cage and dropped him immediately. When we opened him up we didn't gut him he just drained out. The chest cavity looked like I had used a shot gun in his chest, bits of lead every where, very small exit likely just the jacket.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
And that makes sense...considering such a close shot, you probably had an impact velocity of 3000fps or a little more (considering a ~3100fps muzzle velocity). High velocity and C/C bullets are not happy companions. Just further validates what JB was saying a few posts above.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Thanks John. Reason I'm asking I picked up a very nice pre-64 Featherweight in (gay) 270 made in 57 with an old Leupold 4X and some four boxes of new 130 PPs that it plunks into tiny groups. I'd love to take it to Idaho and I don't have that much time (or desire at the moment) for load development with 130 Triple Shocks..of course smile

Cool Jorg! I have a tupperware container full of 130 PP's and they do shoot great.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Way back in 1973, I shot a few big Nevada Mule deer with 130 gr. Winchester PP's and Remington Core Lokts. Didn't much care for the excess meat damage and went to reloads with 150 gr. bullets. One day at my local LGS I got a good deal on some 150 gr. 30 caliber and 150 gr. 7MM Power points. The 30's shot real good in a .308 but had problems getting the 7MMs to give good groups in my 7x57.
I did section a couple of each and the jackets were surprisingly thicker that the Sierra's and Speer's I'd been using.
I only use two bullets anymore in the .270. The Sierra 150 gr. Game King and the 150 gr. Nobler Partition. Both loads use the same charge and mixed up all stay within one inch or less.
One of my good friend and hunting partners using the 150 gr. Game King in the .270 and .270 WSM for elk. Worked just find from both rifles.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Simple. Throw the 140 TSX's behind 58 grs of H4831 SC and stomp elk. Last fall Colorado public DYI at 250 yards, bang, step, drop.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The old fabled Winchester Silvertips are nothing more than a Power Point with a thin piece of aluminum shim covering/protecting the lead tip

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Power Points WORK wonderfully at MV under 3,000 fps.

kd

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The first bull elk I ever saw killed was at about 350 yards with a 30/06 and factory 150 PP loads; the rifle a post 64 M70 and 3X Weaver IIRC.Fist shot a bit far back and staggered him, but the second through the chest and collapsed.

I remember thinking the elk did not look too tough to me, contrary to what I had read....and the 30/06 was no punk cartridge.The 150 PP would not have been my first choice for elk but goes to show what I knew. Guy had been killing elk and mule deer with that combo for years.

Incidentally, the (old and now discontinued)270 gr 375 H&H Winchester factory bullet had a jacket of bronze,and was a tough, reliable bullet. IIRC even Finn Aagard used that load in Africa and the bullet had a good performance record. I recommended the load to a non hand loading pal who took it to Alaska for brown bear. It worked well.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
tedhorn,

The difference between Power Points and Silvertips is the lead nose under the Silvertip is a larger, which tends to "enhance" expansion. Consequently the two bullets don't act exactly the same when they hit game.

Winchester also varied the jacket thickness on Silvertips over the years. Some versions held together pretty well. Others didn't.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for all the inputs, gents. Rifle is shooting them very well and at least I know in a pinch I can go to the nearest Wal Mart and get ammo that works!

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Pictures of rifle are being requested here. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
WILCO on pics..

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
cool

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here you go, rifle and (NOSHIT!) target, three shots w aforementioned Winchester Power Points:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
A keeper for sure!

Thanks for the pictures Jorge. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here you go, rifle and (NOSHIT!) target, three shots w aforementioned Winchester Power Points:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very cool Jorge. My 30-06 fwt loves the 180gr. Winchester powerpoint. I've been meaning to try some in my 270 win as well...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
At 18.50 a box at Academy, you really can't beat it if your rifle likes them. Naturally, being the OCD type, I just ordered some 130 TTSXs and looking on the Barnes site for load data. Anybody? smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jorge, the last buck I shot was shot with a power point. They work great on game animals..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have found the 180 Power Points to give very good accuracy in my .30-06 (Winchester 70 Stainless Classic).

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I use them in my 06 as well for deer and hogs, the box says "deer and antelope" but I'm sure they would work on elk out of an 06 or a 270.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pathetic. Your only chance to reclaim your manhood from the ownership pf a .270 is to sell it to me. grin I'm a giver. Price negotiable, as long as it's less than what you paid.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I use them in my 06 as well for deer and hogs, the box says "deer and antelope" but I'm sure they would work on elk out of an 06 or a 270.
The box says "deer and antelope" take the hint.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Oh hell yes, they would work on elk.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

haha! Hilarious Jörg! Very nice!

Everyone knows pre 64's don't shoot and the new rifles are "better"......snork.. grin

And with a tired old 4X scope no less...... whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There's a deer hiding behind your jacket. Just saying...

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually, it's a kind of deer. It's a Bushbuck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yes, and between you and Pugs this rifle buying crap got contagious. Curse you both. Mine arrives this week. NOS New Haven built Model 70 FWT 6.5 x 55. Like I need another rifle??? Enablers of the first degree. mad grin grin

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
You takin' that .270 on your elk hunt?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't think so. Taking my Mauser action 300 Weatherby and my pre-64 custom 338 as second rifle.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Gotcha. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He can't stand the ridicule..... smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari

You'll note that he's not in the picture. It's very hard to meter light correctly off the rainbow colored ascot. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Easy on Jorge,he is coming to terms with his inner Ingwe. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I inherited an old Ruger 77 .270W from my elderly cousin 3 years ago along with at least 1500 Winchester Power Point 150 grain .277 bullets. I worked up an accurate load with 57 grains of IMR 7828. This rifle is slow. The MV of this load is about 2750fps. Since it wears our best low light scope it gets used for all our late evening deer hunting and night time hog shooting. This load has proven to be exceptionally deadly on deer and Russian boar hybrid wild hogs. I am talking up to 4-500 pounds. If it will reliably kill these hogs it will do the same on elk. A wild boar wears a shield of very thick gristle on his front end. With this rifle, this speed, and this bullet things work out real well out to 200+ yards.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Pugs

You'll note that he's not in the picture. It's very hard to meter light correctly off the rainbow colored ascot. grin

I find digital cameras do a much better job of color correction and metering when there's a variety of color, particularly yellows and greens, in the frame.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs

Smoking jacket AND brandy snifter...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

613 members (10Glocks, 204guy, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 71 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,261
Posts18,448,186
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.