Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, after shooting some of my buddies target rifles at the range yesterday at a "round robbin" shoot, I'd like to get more into rimfire target shooting. These savage rifles seem like a good buy. Does anyone here have any first hand experience with them. Here's one I'm eyeballing on GB:

Savage mark II fvt

Thanks for any input you have regarding this rifle..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thought about one of these myself. Bet you can get an opinion here: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Hey guys, after shooting some of my buddies target rifles at the range yesterday at a "round robbin" shoot, I'd like to get more into rimfire target shooting. These savage rifles seem like a good buy. Does anyone here have any first hand experience with them. Here's one I'm eyeballing on GB:

Savage mark II fvt

Thanks for any input you have regarding this rifle..

Save yourself some coin and order from the CMP

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/22-target-commercial/

Good Luck!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You may also want to check out the H&R M12 or some of the old Mossberg target rifles.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks for the advice guys. I like the idea of finding an old Mossberg target rifle. I know those are damn accurate and reasonably priced.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
here is something that would get you up and running depending on how much cash you have.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=116201

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I purchased the Savage Mk. 1 single shot rifle 3 years ago, and it was accurate and reliable. I sold it as it was a pain to keep putting the cartridges in single shot, and the bolt kept getting these nasty deep scratches. Have read this is common with the Savage rim fire rifles, it is like the receiver was not machined properly, but I could not find any burrs. Also, the bottom part of the bolt was wearing fast, this must be an issue as the factory had used a pin punch to check the hardness of the bolt.

Fun shooter otherwise, ended up putting a scope on it, but the open sights were ok.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA,

I 'think' most of those MKII rifles with plastic stocks have a short LOP. That stock looks like the one I had on a 17HMR from Bi-Mart. The rifle shot great, but the stock was really small. You may want to check if you're planning to use that stock.

Are you going to shoot with the peep, or scope it?

J

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looking for something with rear aperture and probably globe front. I'm eyeballing some older Mossberg rifles on GB right now. I think you are right about the stock having a short LOP too. I was doing a little more research on the rifle and that seems to be the consensus.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sending a PM on a GB auction that looks like it might something to consider.

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My opinion, in the long run, you will ditch the savage for something more substantial. Ive had a few, they shoot reasonably well for the price, but ultimately, they are mostly plastic pieces of [bleep]. You can find and old remington teen rifle that will outshoot it for the same money or less, the old mossbergs are a better option also.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I generally recommend the Mossberg 144 LSB as an entry level RF target rifle.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've got a savage Mark 2 FV mine doesn't shoot anything great but Rem subsonics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I've got a savage Mark 2 FV mine doesn't shoot anything great but Rem subsonics.

Finding out what ammo a .22 lr shoots the best is a chore. My .22 will stack the Rem subsonics in ragged hole at 25 yds, but go to 50 yds and it becomes a 3" group. Standard Velocity ammo shoots best in my rifle.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 17 invisible), 1,312 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,850
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.