Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi all,

I was recently given a 1964 Winchester 101 (Full over Mod choke) in 12 gauge. The shotgun has definitely been used for hunting in it's past. The bluing is worn in areas and the stock has some pretty good dings and scratches in it. It's the one on the bottom in the following pic.

[Linked Image]

I am planning on hunting with the shotgun but would like opinions on whether refinishing it would have a significant negative impact on it's value? I know that original is desirable in most cases, but I'm not sure how collectable these shotguns are and this one in particular.

I removed the butt stock on it today in order to clean it as the safety/barrel selector was sticking a bit. It doesn't look like it had ever been removed before.

Appreciate the input of those more knowledgeable than I. Thanks.

SS

Last edited by SamSteele; 08/25/16.

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
IMO, depends on the quality of the work.

"Refinished" doesn't sound as good as "restored".

The latter won't hurt the value, may enhance; the former, at least in my mind, may take it the other way...

DF

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the input Dirtfarmer. I assume you mean "restored" as in back to the same finish as the original? I had no plans to change the stock shape, color, or checkering. I had considered putting an oil finish on the wood rather than lacquer. I suppose that may harm the value more than I thought.

I began refinishing wood stocked rifles when I was around 14 years old by prowling the local pawn and sporting goods stores looking for a high quality piece that needed cosmetic work. I started out with a cheap Cooey .22 repeater that my father's friend gave me and traded my way up to a pre-64 M70 in 270 Win with only $20 outlay and a lot of time spent in my grandfather's woodworking shop. I even got my own checkering tools that I used to sharpen things up if needed.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'd strip the factory finish, put a tung oil/urethane finish, recut the checkering and it would look great.

That's a lot of work.

I once traded for a Grade IV BAR, metal was perfect, wood was showing wear. I restored the wood with that type finish, sent the stock and forearm to Errol Case in MO. Errol recut the super fine checkering, cleaned up the fancy carving, stippling. I was into that gun for around half what it would have been worth.

That gun looked 100% when done and I traded it for par value. So, in that case, the value doubled, but the work was impeccable...

So, it depends on quality of the work.

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 2,599 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,740
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.