Hop To
#11395125 08/24/16
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
whats the trick to get the filler screws out? Shouldn't these just come right out? I can't get them to budge

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
The ones I did a few weeks ago were just plastic plugs. They didn't have any threads on them. I took a small screwdriver and kept twisting on them until they were up enough to grab with some small needle nose pliers.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by blairvt
whats the trick to get the filler screws out? Shouldn't these just come right out? I can't get them to budge

What T3 did you get? Caliber and model? Just curious. I have an older T3 in 223, works great for coyote and deer (with heavier bullets). It is also sub MOA.

B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
6.5x55 hunter

W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Mine did the same. Started threading out then kind of stripped out. Got a couple out the top of the action. Drifted the other two out the bottom and very carefully started the base screws pushing the remaining plastic out the bottom, in and out removing plastic shards as I worked at it.

If I had to do it again I might try screwing them out the bottom (tighten) into the action so its easier getting the base screws started maybe?

IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had some screw come out and some seemed to get stripped. Just ended up pushing the through.
I think my next tikka I will tighten them down into the action.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you are talking about the filler screws for bases they are rubber and most of the time won't unscrew. Just tap them with a punch until they fall into the receiver.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
B
blairvt Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Got them. That is ridiculous. Put a bad taste in my mouth for my brand new rifle

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got them. That is ridiculous. Put a bad taste in my mouth for my brand new rifle

you're not supposed to chew them.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
You'll likely forget it after you carry it all day, and enjoy it's crisp trigger pull and accuracy and think, "how much did I pay for this rifle???!!!". smile

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Why? They are just a filler. In actuality rubber may be a better idea than metal anyway. I have encountered filler screws that have been stuck so badly due to dried oil, etc. that they were near impossible to remove because of the tiny shallow slot on them which gives way easily.

If you use the factory rings they do not need to be removed and if you use after market rings the filler screws are usually set in a junk drawer never to be seen or used again - so why not rubber.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RWE

you're not supposed to chew them.

laugh cry grin That was good.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by drover

Why? They are just a filler. In actuality rubber may be a better idea than metal anyway. I have encountered filler screws that have been stuck so badly due to dried oil, etc. that they were near impossible to remove because of the tiny shallow slot on them which gives way easily.

If you use the factory rings they do not need to be removed and if you use after market rings the filler screws are usually set in a junk drawer never to be seen or used again - so why not rubber.

drover

I tend to agree. I mount scopes at work and occasionally have a very difficult time getting out filler screws. Haven't had one yet that I couldn't get out but have come close. Ruger 10/22's have been the worst for me.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I had a tikka one time that I had the screws get sorta stuck in but finally got them out. They were just plastic

Tater

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (338reddog, 12344mag, 160user, 35, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.