Print Thread
Hop To
M
Maaax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Hello. I just got my first model 71. So happy! Four digit serial number. Not a deluxe but came with the bolt peep. The aperture was not factory and was bent during shipping. I would like to know what the tap size would be to clean up the threads and what aperture to look for as close to the original as possible. Thank you for your help. Gary

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I checked the aperture threads from my 1937 M71 and, as close as I can measure, it came out to .218" diameter with a thread pitch of .025". That would work out to be 7/32"-40 TPI or 12-40.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Maaax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thank you for the info. I am having a lot of problems posting on this sight. I tried twice to post this to big bores and it posted twice to wrong forums. Even getting the keyboard to work is a challenge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure if you saw my post on this or not on the Marlin forum but you might want to Email these guys, they will know. They make a repro

http://oldgunsights.com/Inventory.html

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by tmitch
I checked the aperture threads from my 1937 M71 and, as close as I can measure, it came out to .218" diameter with a thread pitch of .025". That would work out to be 7/32"-40 TPI or 12-40.

mitch ol buddy. Is yours an original bolt peep???? It would look like this one I had on my '37 deluxe:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These ads clearly shows a factory bolt peep used on an early model 71:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For that matter, is this what the OP is referring to? Some here post pics of the redfield peep and call it a factory "bolt peep". Congrats to the op on buying a fine rifle too. The model 71 348 Winchester is a sweetheart of a rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Yep, sure is. It's one of the reasons I love that rifle. Mine's a second year production standard rifle.
Can't figure out why you gave your Deluxe model up, albeit to a good home. wink

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, gunner loves it. I'm glad it went to him. He's giving it a good home and plans on passing it down to his nephew. The reason I gave it up is because my eyesight is not what it used to be. That rifle was extremely fun to shoot. I do miss it, but it's being used more now. These rifles were made to be hunted and gunner is doing a fine job with it. He sends me pictures of the deer he's shot with it laugh. I'm waiting for him to shoot a bear or elk though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That peep is not the ONLY peep the 71 came from the factory with. Although I believe it was standard pre-war. It could also be ordered with a Lyman or Redfield(drilled and tapped)....

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Maaax
Hello. I just got my first model 71. So happy! Four digit serial number. Not a deluxe but came with the bolt peep. The aperture was not factory and was bent during shipping. I would like to know what the tap size would be to clean up the threads and what aperture to look for as close to the original as possible. Thank you for your help. Gary

Hey Maaax,

Go over to Accurate Reloading and contact Bob Nisbet, he's the M-71 Winchester guru, sights and all, he hangs out at the Redstone Arsenal in Alabama, he's a helluva nice guy.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Yeah, gunner loves it. I'm glad it went to him. He's giving it a good home and plans on passing it down to his nephew. The reason I gave it up is because my eyesight is not what it used to be. That rifle was extremely fun to shoot. I do miss it, but it's being used more now. These rifles were made to be hunted and gunner is doing a fine job with it. He sends me pictures of the deer he's shot with it laugh. I'm waiting for him to shoot a bear or elk though..

LOL, damn right BSA, those old heavy jacket 250 gr Barnes bullets put the 'right now' smack down on game.

hmmmmmmmmm....................bear, elk????? Great idea Buddy. smile

Trump Won!
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Maaax

Hey Maaax,

Go over to Accurate Reloading and contact Bob Nisbet, he's the M-71 Winchester guru, sights and all, he hangs out at the Redstone Arsenal in Alabama, he's a helluva nice guy.

Gunner

+1. Bob made a replacement windage screw for the bolt peep on my M-65

Charter Member

szihn

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet 'T' that guys the '71 guru extraordinaire.

Trump Won!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My pizz poor eyes have me eyeballing this setup. Yes, sacrilege, I know. grin

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/product/fastfire-ii-receiver-mount-model-1886model-71/

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Only sacrilege ifn' you drill extra holes to mount it. eek

Charter Member

szihn

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by EdM

http://www.turnbullmfg.com/product/fastfire-ii-receiver-mount-model-1886model-71/

Lasiks? grin

Trump Won!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by EdM

Lasiks? grin

I have thought that. My wife did find me an eyeball doctor that is local and more than happy to have me in with whatever firearm needed to help sort out what might work. Handgun needs and rifle needs are very different for me.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by tmitch
Only sacrilege ifn' you drill extra holes to mount it. eek

No new holes needed. Just throwing technology on a vintage design bugs me a bit... Missing what I am aiming at would bug me more though.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1eyedmule, 222ND, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 59 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.