Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I like a 4" DA revolver for home defense.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I surely don't prefer a pistolover over a semi-auto, but I love my 4" L frame & wouldn't feel myself at any real disadvantage if forced to use it in a SD scenario.

MM

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Of coarse, my Shield is my carry gun. But at home I usually have the 686+ and a reload close by.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I shoot a model 10 or model 15 better and any auto that I have ever tried. My confidence level is super high when holding one of those.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My own personal defense choice...stainless, hammerless S&W 640 .357Mag 5-shots. (net photo) But I love the 1911, the sale of which is one of my deepest gun sale regrets.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hmmm. The wife has one curiously like that (sans lock). I've been known to stick in a pocket myself.

[Linked Image]d

Last edited by Son_of_the_Gael; 08/25/16.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff by all. Varmint Guy, I hear you, what ammo you using? I was always a hunter, had 22 Ruger MKII's, and many others, some revolvers, owned many 357, 41, 44 in my day.

The 3" 65 is a nice piece, next to a 66 or 686 4", but it seems if I wanted a gun to reach out, and really do some good, a 5 or 6" might be appreciated, though not a carry gun. 44's are great, but max loads might be a bit much for SD work, given recovery time.

D72 - that piece has gotten my attention before seeing your post....nice set up. 7 shots, 5" a great balance of packing size but sight radius, and the barrel profile cuts weight over a full underlug.

Bob, what loads do you carry for SD in the Super and 41?

Also, likely fewer loads in 41 and 44 for SD in factory form, but what do you guys like in those 3 revolver rounds? Seems for all around work, where one might reach out far, have to penetrate objects en route....seems a mid weight bullet might do better than lighter pills. I know a 125 357 is famous for PD, but the old 145 Silvertip had some benefits. Are SP's that inferior to HPs? Just curious. Not reviewed nor done any test. I know a 210 SP would be great on deer in a 41, but an XTP might be better in other scenarios.

Owned a Springfield Champion years ago, 45, shot good, but dropped like a rock it seemed after 50 yards. I know most SD/PD work would be a fraction of that, but if one reached out further, it seems the 357 Sig, 40/10mm, 41, 357 Mag would have some pros over the 9's and 45s....one does have to pay more for ammo, and in recoil no doubt. I recall reading an article in American Rifleman years ago, said the 357 could be deployed up to 150 yds. I know my old 1894 would destroy water filled 2-liter coke bottles and milk jugs, but at pistol speeds we know you get much less speed. Though I could hit pretty well with a former 6" SS Python I had, most accurate iron sighted centerfire handgun I ever shot shy of the TC Contenders I once owned.

I suppose many of you guys have smaller guns for carry, larger ones where size is less critical, and you like the extra capacity, shootability, and perhaps cartridge choice of a full sized gun.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have two centerfire revolvers. A Ruger 4" Security Six and a 2 3/4" Speed Six, both 357. Not as smooth as S&Ws but hell for stout.

Ive had the Security Six since the early 80s, bought used but it is a pre warning Ruger made in the 70s. I don't know how many rounds I have shot through this revolver but it is still quite tight.

I carry both in Simply Rugged open top pancake holsters. I think they call it the Sourdough. A lot of leather but they sit tight and flat against the hip once broken in.

I reload so its no problem tailoring 357 loads that are pleasant to shoot but still effective My defense load is a Hornady XTP 158 GR FP and 7 grains of Unique. This is a mid-range load. But also shoot 168 grain Keith style SWC and 5.5 gr. Unique. I have a bunch of these lead bullets made by Montana Bullet Works but he might be out of business.

Love the simplicity of revolvers!

"an armed society is a polite society"
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
...civilian gunfight reloads...anyone have a DOCUMENTED reload during a gunfight where shots were fired after the reload took place or a situation where the good guy ran out of ammo and died because he could not get his gun reloaded fast enough... I have been looking for decades and can not find any. Have corresponded with many of the top instructors and they have none. Tom Givens has had 62 students in gunfights and not a one reloaded.

65BR...

Current loads in the .38 Super. 100 grain CorBon PowR'Ball interspaced with 90 grain Underwood solid copper Xtreme Defense. Both are running in the low 1500s from the 4.25" barrel. I've also carried the CorBon 115s at 1450 but would gladly carry any 124 that has a MV in excess of 1300 fps.

.41 Magnum...depends on the gun but for two legged vermin prefer the Federal Vital-Shok using the 190 grain Barnes solid copper HP. Barnes, CorBon and several others also make the same round with the same bullet. Low recoil and excellent expansion. In other situations it depends on how much penetration I think I may need. Factory would be a Speer 210 Deep Curl or Remington 210 SP. Handloads would run between 8-10 grains of Unique and a 210 Keith solid or HP...deep penetration with either and mild recoil compared to the factory loads.

.44 Magnum...Speer 200 grain .44 Magnum Gold Dot HP Short Barrel load...1080 from a 4" barrel, has been a long time favorite. That said I would take a close look at those rounds with the using the Barnes 225 all copper HP...

.357 Magnum...any 125 JHP that runs 1400+ fps from a 4"...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
For general purpose self defense against other humans, I will take a semi auto pretty much every time.

I enjoy the heck out of revolvers, and carry them often, but I have no illusions about how they stack up against a modern semi auto.

For carry in the mountains and high desert, I will often carry one of my .44s, as well as for pure recreational fun.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Without a doubt semi auto's rein supreme for self defense

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
In the couple of thousand gunfights that I have read about or seen videos of I can't think of one that was lost because the person had a revolvers rather than a semi. I do remember several however that the person was shot when his semi malfunctioned in some way, the person forgot to take the safety off or carried the gun with an empty chamber and flubbed racking the round into the chamber...

I've run defensive shooting courses/scenarios several times a month since 1992+-. I've seen every make/style of semi malfunction in some way. Have never seen one revolver ever stop running.

And since 95% of civilian defensive shootings take place within 7 yards and only involve a few shots the ability to put the first round on target is a lot more important than the number of rounds in the gun or speed of reloading.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am not a great pistol shot to begin with, but I do shoot a revolver better than an auto. I carry a Smith Auto in my truck, because of where I carry it works better. In my old truck I carried a Smith Revolver for the same reason. Back then they had to be concealed at all times, now I think I can carry them in the open, but have not investigated the law enough to know. There have been confusion and debates on what the new law actually says, from the day the passed it. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RJM

And since 95% of civilian defensive shootings take place within 7 yards and only involve a few shots the ability to put the first round on target is a lot more important than the number of rounds in the gun or speed of reloading.

Bob
Bob, I suspect you will see this stat change over the next few years. More and more probability that one may encounter a hostile gang or group of "protesters".

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smith and Wesson, no question. But I own a 1911 and a 4906. They pretty much stay in the house.

I shoot my model 19 a lot as well as my 629. For cc where two legged varmints hang out, the 19 or my 15 would get the nod. If I had to be around such people a lot, I'd be buying a Chief's special!
Where large 4 legged varmints that claw and bite, the 629 with full power loads and deep penetrating bullets would be my number one go to revolver. Semi-autos NOT!

Each of the S&W's shoot very accurately and are very fast on target. Shooting a beer can in the air is no problem.

Last edited by Bugger; 08/25/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another reason for the double stack 9, in my truck. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At a local CC class, several men had to reshoot to classify. They carried Glocks and had a hard time putting bullets on to a man size target at close range.

My new wife has been out shooting only three times in her life. She took a J Frame to classify -- she shot a perfect score.

People that need more than 5 shots to hit a close target well Hmmmm... What can be said?

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Strictly home D..

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Originally Posted by RJM

Bob
Bob, I suspect you will see this stat change over the next few years. More and more probability that one may encounter a hostile gang or group of "protesters".

Maybe things are changing because of current events, but I've had a lot more issues with white meth-heads than with blacks. My job brings me into all kinds of neighborhoods. If the neighborhood is poor and drug infested, it doesn't matter what race they are, you better watch your back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those damn trigger-cockers will never catch on... wink

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SargeMO; 08/26/16.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by RJM
In the couple of thousand gunfights that I have read about or seen videos of I can't think of one that was lost because the person had a revolvers rather than a semi. I do remember several however that the person was shot when his semi malfunctioned in some way, the person forgot to take the safety off or carried the gun with an empty chamber and flubbed racking the round into the chamber...

I've run defensive shooting courses/scenarios several times a month since 1992+-. I've seen every make/style of semi malfunction in some way. Have never seen one revolver ever stop running.

Bob

Statistically speaking I really don't need to carry a gun to begin with, but. I don't base my safety on statistics

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
153 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,976 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.