Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11398294 08/25/16
O
OLSKOOL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
hello maybe you can help, I have a beautiful full stock mannlicher in 30-06 this gun is almost new condition and un altered in any way. it has a monte carlo stock with a cap on the end of the pistol grip. it has an oil finish walnut two piece stock and crisp perfect checkering and 20in barrel. the sel. no. is 23xxx followed by the word nitro with what looks like a crown and marking above that. I love full stock guns, when I found this one in a pawn shop it came home with me. It had vintage redfield mount and rings. I added a new vintage ted Williams (weaver) 3x9 scope made around 1960 [img][IMG]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/olskool1/_MG_4101_zpsulctgpt2.jpg[/img][/img] [img][IMG]http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd445/olskool1/_MG_4096_zpsjapiib6g.jpg[/img][/img] the whole rig looks like a classic beauty. can you please give me some info? when was it made and how rare is it and app. value. any help will be appreciated.

I have never harvested a animal but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It was made in the 60's as it looks to be a CRF model. It may or may not say either Tradewinds or Smith and Wesson on the top of the barrel, otherwise it will read 'Husqvarna Wapenfabriks'. As far as rare, yeah the Mannlicher stocked Husky's are very uncommon. Because of that I'd place the value at $750. Nice find!

O
OLSKOOL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
yes sir it reads on the barrel 'Husqvarna Wapenfabriks' I know I have never seen a full stock husky. the scope was new in the box and it is from the 60s and looks like a perfect match, I zeroed it in with my handloads and it is a tack driver shooting 1/2 in groups. thanks for the response.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice score!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Good find on the Husky. Yours looks to be really nice. I have one (full stock) but not as "minty" as one in your pics. Mine is 06 with no montecarlo…ok trigger, but not great. I have a couple of half-stocks but have only bumped into one other full-stock in a shop for sale. Regards, Bruce

IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That's a gorgeous rifle. I saw lots of them in Sweden when I was moose hunting. The later Carl Gustaf push feeds are also very popular there. 6.5x55 and .30-06 are the favorite calibers.
Bob

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That is a 1600 HVA action. Without the Monte Carlo butt, it was known as the model 456 in the U.S. and 1600H in other countries. I don't know if the designation changed when the M/C was added.
Your serial number indicates YOP was 1959-1960.

Last edited by Joe; 08/25/16.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
O
OLSKOOL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
great info fellers, the gun looks like it was put in a closet in 1960 and someone pulled it out and took it to the pawn shop for me to buy. i know the value is around 700-800 range but right now i would not take 1000 for it, i really love it. i have two more mannlichers, one is a rare H&R ultra rifle model 301 in 243 cal. the other is a old ruger international in 243 i reallylike the full stocks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're likely to like the Husqvarna mannlicher the best of the three, as it has the best balance. Husqvarna got their mannlicher stocked rifles just right, not too long/short, not too heavy/light, just right in all aspects.

C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had two of the 30-06 FS versions and have seen another in 270 Win. They are excellent rifles. I still own the top one.
[Linked Image]
The bottom was my first and was bought from a collector and may never have been shot before I got it. It was imported and marked by S&W. The top one was not imported by S&W and is marked as HVA. It was slightly altered by the orignal owner. It came with the owner's manual. It looks like this now.
[Linked Image]
Both rifles are accurate, the S&W one was less well finished and machined than the HVA one, but was closer to original (I put on a recoil pad but did not cut the stock and kept the original butt plate with the rifle when I sold it.) As mentioned the first owner of the HVA had the butt cut, a recoil pad installed, the rear sight replaced by a slug in the dovetail and a different grip cap installed.

I had the factory trigger greatly improved by a skilled gunsmith. It is my experience that the Husqvarna front sight hoods come off easily under recoil, so keep an eye on yours. The first time I shot the S&W rifle the muzzle cap flew off into a snowbank! shocked It took me more than a week to find it.

I love the rifle but never seem to pick it up when I go hunting in the very open terrain I hunt and I always pick a different rifle. (I should sell it so if some one has the urge to own an non-collector HVA FS, send me a pm.)

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After owning four Husky's I'd say the best finished ones were the Smith & Wessons. But you can't go wrong with any of them. Much like the pre 64 model 70 they can take whatever you can dish out and they aren't going to break on you. Remington and Winchester went to cheaper manufqcturing techniques but Husqvarna never did. That's why Husqvarna doesn't make guns anymore. Zoli picked up the design but I never see any of those.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might also mention Chuck Hawks considers Husky's to be among the finest bolt rifles ever made and Swedish steel is known to be the strongest, finest steel.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by moosemike
Zoli picked up the design but I never see any of those.

Just got off the phone with the Zoli guys here in America (Texas) and they stated that the Zoli-manufactured guns will be available (both left and right handed) after the first of the year. I'd love to have a lefty .30-06.
Bob

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Cool. The OPs pics are worth the bandwidth. LOL

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
O
OLSKOOL Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
O
even the sling on my rifle is vintage to the gun it is a Brauer bor. st louis I was going to change the mount to a classic weaver until I did a little research. the mount on it is a redfield like I never saw before and are sought after on ebay. so I left it as is.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Nice rifle OLSKOOL, do yourself a favour and set your Photobucket account to private.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
I've owned several HVA's and wished I would have kept them all. The full stock I owned was in 308 and it was a great shooter. Some of the lightweight models were prone to cracking the back tang area in the stock and the full stock models were in that group. Bedding the action and releaving the tang area will assure that doesn't happen.
I still have a push feed model, Imperial Grade 8000, and one of the early imported Zoli's.
What lead you to believe that the Redfield base was rare?

The Husqvarna.

[Linked Image]

An older photo of the Zoli.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The late SBHVA told me the tangs crack because of the steel tube the rear action/trigger guard slides through. The stock shrinks from age and that causes the trigger guard screw to bottom out on the metal tube it sits in which then stresses the tang area. You either file the metal tube flush with the stock or discard it and your tang is safe.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
What a great resource and real gentleman SBHVA was.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by patbrennan
What a great resource and real gentleman SBHVA was.

Yes indeed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.