Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I didnt know how it is in other states. When I used to go Elk hunting, that was private land with a guide. It was not free. I used to go to a couple of the state places to quail hunt. That was crowded, with lots of rude-crude A-holes. I found a guy that had lots of birds. He didnt let his places get shot out. A private lease is OK, depending on the guys . We have 3 new guys this year. They are young. Most if us are late fifty to middle 60's. I hunt in the north corner of the lease,so I have no traffic around me. Most lease BS revolves around those in the middle. It helps to have good land owner and good lease manager. Hunting on a lease with a bunch of meat hunters is not good without 8 point or better requirements. No guests is an important rule too. The meat hunters will kill everything out if you have no rules.

Last edited by hanco; 08/25/16.
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho has over 50,000 square miles of public land and almost all is open for free hunting. Except for pheasants, there's no reason anyone should have to pay to hunt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Some of both, I own 640 acres for deer, dove and pheasant hunting.
I lease a small place in another state for deer and turkey

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty much a leasing game in Florida. Never had any much interest in joining a big hunt club. I lease approx 2000 acres of ranchland just south of Lake O. Not the greatest habitat but adjoins good habitat so we benefit from that. It is a small game, hog and turkey lease only. No Deer. We built a decent camp in an oak hammock and we use the lease about every weekend from Dec-April. Cost is $6000 and I share the lease with only one other guy so 3k a piece. We have zero drama as he and I have worked together and been friends for 30 years.
I hunt deer in Ohio on National Forest land. Its big timber and hilly. I enjoy that and there is virtually no other hunters other than my group of five on thousands of acres. Honestly i sometimes wish there were more hunters to keep the deer up and moving. The guys from Ohio are anti lease as they see that ruining their traditional hunting opportunities. I been leasing land down here for 30 years in some fashion or another so it just seems like the way it is.
I always thought it would be great to live out west were they have many public opportunities and can drive to other states easily for more. I would rather buy tags and gas than pay lease fees. Southwest Florida is a long way from anywhere.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have done both. Currently I hunt family land and have access to some swampy land that has good hunting.

As Miles stated, the only reason we had to start leasing in north La., was because the timber companies started it. We had been hunting on the timber co. land all my life and one year they came to us with the option to lease. They knew we had been hunting the land and never abused or trashed the place, so we had first option... lease or leave. We saw the handwriting on the wall and leased. Other folks in the area laughed at us, but 2 years later were begging to join our club, because everyone started leasing.

There are Wildlife Management Areas (free state lands) in the state, but they are crowded with city folks, so I avoid them like the plague.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
There is enough public land in TX that you can work...

I've killed a lot of deer on public land, and I"ve missed chances at some 150 plus inch bucks in East TX public lands.

ALmost all waterfowl I do is on public and we do very well at that.

We also lease a place.

But TX doesn't have tons of public, but more than enough if a person wants to get out, have fun, and bring some meat home.

Almost all we hunt in AK is public, except some smaller private stuff we have permission to hunt on.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We're not afforded the luxury of much public land in my locale. There isn't any in the county where I reside. There is some in surrounding counties, but crowded doesn't begin to describe the current situation.

I own the land where I live. I hunt there. It wasn't free. I'm also in on a couple of leases. They weren't free either.

If you're going to deer and/or turkey hunt in our region, you'll most likely have to pay in one way or another. Small game and predators are a different story. Lot's of farmers allow access for nothing.

Everybody has a different situation.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hanco
I didnt know how it is in other states. When I used to go Elk hunting, that was private land with a guide. It was not free. I used to go to a couple of the state places to quail hunt. That was crowded, with lots of rude-crude A-holes. I found a guy that had lots of birds. He didnt let his places get shot out. A private lease is OK, depending on the guys . We have 3 new guys this year. They are young. Most if us are late fifty to middle 60's. I hunt in the north corner of the lease,so I have no traffic around me. Most lease BS revolves around those in the middle. It helps to have good land owner and good lease manager. Hunting on a lease with a bunch of meat hunters is not good without 8 point or better requirements. No guests is an important rule too. The meat hunters will kill everything out if you have no rules.

The rules need to fit the people leasing. There is nothing wrong with meat hunting. OTOH when I meat hunt I"m not going to shoot promising bucks. But I've alwasy been that way, meat or not just leave the promising ones to breed for the future.

We have a similar lease, but we are now down to basically 1 meat hunter amongst 1500 acres so its likely to get much better, rather than 3-4. Of course I killed the biggest buck I"ll ever seen last fall in the area we hunt, right at 160 inches gross, so I'll be a plus to the lease for sure since I'll only be killing does and culls the rest of my life.

I don't like paying the going rates, but it is what it is. Its going to be expensive when we hit semi retired in a few years though... my wife is on the lease since its stupid you can have no guests. She pays a full spot and shoots nothing, just because she likes to go out with me and the dog and watch and take pictures instead of being chained to sitting in camp.

Re no guests thats a liability thing but the dumbest thing I"ve ever seen come down the pike. You get X tags, who should care who shoots those tags? I mean follow all the rules and all of the state, but what difference if I shoot my 4 tags or if my kids or grandkids do?

I would never hunt a lease with an 8 point or better rule either, it allows no management of the herd. In fact IMHO the herd will get worse and worse with that rule. But you do have to manage correctly, IE not shooting the promising bucks.. but taking out all the trash before they are 2.5 to 3.5 years old and getting a good chance at breeding.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho has over 50,000 square miles of public land and almost all is open for free hunting. Except for pheasants, there's no reason anyone should have to pay to hunt.

This^ The day I have to pay to hunt is the day I hang it up. I have no problem helping a land owner fix a fence, pick up trash or assist in any way I can, but to pay for it is another thing all together.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I lived in Ms., I traded work for deer hunting on a fellows place. He owned around 600 acres and leased some more. I kept up some electrical equipment for him and hunted for free.

The day I have to pay to hunt is the day I hang it up.

Not trying to start anything, but you dont like to hunt as much as I do. I didnt like leasing, but I'd rather lease, than not hunt. Leases are getting so expensive, I could'nt pay $2000/yr to hunt. I think the most I ever paid was $500 and only for 1 year. I got out of that club and haven't been in one since.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'll take restricted access, well managed, private lease arrangements any day over the overcrowded, overhunted public land draw hunts I've done.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In Mississippi, the timber companies started leasing in the mid-70s. 10 years later most all private land was leased. I had a few places I liked to hunt on State public land but mostly I was in a camp.
I bought 110 acres in a swamp around 1999 so my kids and wife could hunt easier. they could a lot of deer, had some awesome memories. But, the neighbors baited deer by the thousands of pounds a week (when it wasn't legal) and eventually we weren't seeing as many deer, and people were trespassing as we lived 70 miles away and the land constantly flooded. One neighbor kept asking to buy my property after my kids were in college and I gave him a ridiculously high price and, unfortunately, lol, he took it,
I hunted publicly land only the next year and killed a nice buck with my bow, got in a camp last year that was too crowded-- more than public land.

This year, my neighbor asked me to step in with him and his dad to lease a smaller piece of land that looks real promising. I will see. I do plan to still hunt some public land too.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Not much leasing in my neck of the woods. I have several hundred acres of county owned public land out my back door. We own some hunting land/camp an hours drive away. Just 20 minutes north of me is the Adirondack Park with over 2.6 million acres of State land to hunt and fish.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just love the "never pay" crowd. Then again if I lived where they to I would think differently. Then again I do like to pay to hunt....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I hunt free on my and families land in two states, don't do the lease deal. I consider them a rigged ripoff game many times held by greedy landowners with ever increasing fees/rates!

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Been on a couple of leases. Not high dollar ones, but they had decent hunting.

hunted public land a lot. Especially for predators.

The thing about public land is that usually, you have to deal with idiots, road hunters, poachers, and more idiots.

The next level is owning land you hunt on. smile

Having a vested interest in the land, the game management, and who comes or goes has it's own rewards.

Last week:

[Linked Image]

Mr. Browtines

[Linked Image]

Got hogs.

[Linked Image]

I don't hunt many deer nowadays. When I do, he's either a monster, or a cull. wink

As long as you are happy with how you hunt and where you hunt, I'm all for it.

I just like it better when I get to make the rules.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Not much leasing in my neck of the woods. I have several hundred acres of county owned public land out my back door. We own some hunting land/camp an hours drive away. Just 20 minutes north of me is the Adirondack Park with over 2.6 million acres of State land to hunt and fish.

You are not allowed to hunt on parish/county public land in Caddo parish La. The parish owns quite a bit of land that would be good to hunt, but it's off limits. The land is owned by the Caddo Parish Levee Board and it receives tax money, from the public, but no one is allowed on its land. Doesn't seem right to me.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Iowa has a lot of public land open to hunting. We have 99 counties and just going through the "C"s' total 117,000 acres. We have four reservoir systems distributed around the state that have tens of thousands of acres each, and two major rivers on each side of the state, the Mississippi and Missouri, that have lots of state land adjoining it, which is open to hunting more then not. I've hunted on some of it and it's good habitat and usually not over hunted, particularly in the northern, southern and west parts of the state. Some tracts are remote and likely see no hunting for years. Even on public land close to Des Moines, I've hunted for the day and never saw another person, particularly in bow season.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'll take restricted access, well managed, private lease arrangements any day over the overcrowded, overhunted public land draw hunts I've done.

+1

So many, who for generations hunted timber company land here locally, were really pizzed when the companies discovered hunting lease revenue. Some of those birthright "nesters" became violent, burned vehicles, camps, etc.

Those who pay the taxes, own the land should have some say, should be able to receive benefits from that ownership. Free stuff only exists in Dem. political speak...

As populations grow, demand for hunting space can't keep up without game management, hunting property management, etc. And, that costs money.

Out in the great open spaces, maybe not as critical. In more populated areas, that's just a reality and the way it's gotta be.

DF

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

This^ The day I have to pay to hunt is the day I hang it up. I have no problem helping a land owner fix a fence, pick up trash or assist in any way I can, but to pay for it is another thing all together.

Landowners have costs... costs rise each year. Landowners these days have liability, that they can't control due to suit happy people.

I don't fault anyone for charging. How mcuh they charge can be beyond nuts though.

But as a landowner, and until you are, its hard to realize what it costs just to own and protect the land...

Granted I"m going to have to pay the taxes and insurance among other things regardless, but to ask for a bit of help in return for your use of my property, ain't wrong IMHO.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (12344mag, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 88 invisible), 2,735 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.