Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I've hunted public land all my life. If I've had private land to hunt on, it was surrounded by public, where most of the folks hunted anyway.

I've hunted in MN and WI, almost all on public land. I've shot plenty of deer and even some damn fine ones. But I also know not to look a gift horse in the mouth and sometimes will take nearly any legal animal depending on the situation.

Having trail cam's helps being pickier when I know what's around.

Camp is where you make it.
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd love to lease some private access to waterfront so I could hunt waterfowl. Public waterfowl access is kind of a zoo here.

Many times have had the opportunity for $100/per gun/per day for upland/pheasants but never bought in. Just never knew what I'd be getting.

Have taken the opportunity to hunt elk on ranches and it just did not feel like fair chase to me. I have the ability to be successful on national forest and it just feels more sporting.

As mentioned, everyone's situation is different.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
We one trophy buck and a cull buck plus two does. You can take family, but still each guy gets only the 4 deer. Turkeys out the ass. Pigs out the ass too. The East Texas lease is paper land. We get the same limits, except that county has antler restrictions, bucks have to be outside the ears. That rule has improved hunting in East Texas. Tons of pigs there also. I have more fun trapping pigs than deer hunting. I built a 30 round trap at the East Tex lease. It's 5 feet tall. Built a trap gate to take up there this week. I've never trapped pigs there before. East Tex pigs are way bigger than hill country pigs. Guys have killed 400lb piggies. I have a 300 lb feeder hanging over the pen. Cant wait to get gate in place. There shouldn't be too many pigs get over a 5 foot fence. The Hill country feeder pens are only 34", so we get some that jump out.

Last edited by hanco; 08/26/16.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well, I can hunt deer,bear,turkeys,fish,grouse on my property but it aint free.I have upkeep and property taxes to pay.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
No my house and the property are paid for, but f--king taxes are 500.00 a month.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntz
Well, I can hunt deer,bear,turkeys,fish,grouse on my property but it aint free.I have upkeep and property taxes to pay.

Same here except for the bears, fish and grouse. We have deer, turkeys, squirrels, coons, ducks, a 100 yd range, a 400 yd range, hard work and taxes on our property. It's not free, but I wouldn't swap it for anything that I have seen that was free either.

I have leased property in the past. Some was good, some not so good. Most leases were lost because partners in the club bailed out after they realized that they either didn't like the drive or work necessary to keep it up. The next lease I get into will be one that I get myself, so that I'm not at the mercy of others that could bail out at any time.

Harry
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
No my house and the property are paid for, but f--king taxes are 500.00 a month.

I've heard that about TX. No income tax, but they whack you pretty hard on property tax.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grew up in Va, Tenn, and WVa in an era when folks could roam the farmlands and forest with no issues. Not that way anymore. In the 60's I came to the NW in the military and the lights went on.

In Oregon here which is about 55% public land and live in a county that has about 7,000 square miles of public desert and forest. I was out a week back hunting pronghorn in a unit that was 95% public land. Those aspects are what brought me to the NW. Request for permission would probably get me access to about 1/2 of the remaining 3,000 square miles of the landscape in the county. The capacities to hunt/fish/camp pretty much wherever are truly a treasure.

Were I in your boots, I'd probably spend the bucks to travel and hunt out of state. I still go out state for some better quality experiences, but those outings as well have all been on public lands (AK, ID, Wy, Nv, and Az). With low densities of game in the more arid areas, one has to do some scouting to find the jewels, but limited draws pretty well hold hunter densities to very conservative levels

Last edited by 1minute; 08/26/16.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I hunt private ranches free.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Montana you have to pay everywhere. Go elsewhere

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
first of all where is all the public hunting land in texas? I grew up there and knew of NONE unless it was around the many lakes in the area mainly used for picnicking and lake activities.

The public lands isssue is the main reason I would never move back to texas. you wanna ride your atv, know someone pay someone or own the land. you want to shoot your guns,know someone pay someone or own the land, you want to hunt know someone pay someone or own the land, you want to fire off your cannon,know someone pay someone or own the land, you want to go 4 wheeling, know someone pay someone or own the land.

I can throw my guns in the truck and head out to the desert or the mountains and shoot anywhere I want to. can't do that in Texas.

the biggest threat we have around here is this push the state is doing to take control of all the federal lands. This happened in the east and south and guess what there is no public lands there anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Free hunting". Well the vast majority of Alaska is public land, there is some native land that requires a minor trespass fee. But the part that is far from free is the cost of traveling to the parts of the state that hold game. And there's the rub, most of the state does not hold much game, so you'll have to plan a week long expedition and spend thou$ands accessing the "free" hunting.

hanco Online Content OP
Campfire Savant
OP Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like the free idea. The lease I hunt in East Texas has been managed by the same company for 80 years. It is paper company land. I'm a newbie, I've been on there 21 yrs. The are guys that have been on there for 40, 50, and one man for 62 years. There has been some nice bucks killed there. It started out at 50.00 a year. It's slowly gone up. I'll give up the 2000.00 lease when I retire. The East Tex lease is 1 1/2 hours away. Beats 41/2 hrs!! It is time to take tractor up there to mow. Plant oats in October. Both places have their good and bad points. The East Tex lease is 10,000 acres. I have never seen all of it. Dont really know how many guns are on it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
How many of you all hunt for free, I have a lease In east Texas that's 800.00 and a lease in west Texas that's 2000.00, Dove hunting is 50.00 a day. Do any of you get to hunt for free? There is very little free hunting in Texas unless you hunt on family or friend land. Is there free hunting in other states?

"Free" as in "Freedom" -- Never have I paid to hunt.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My daughter and I killed a big mule deer last year on public land. We hunted 3 days and I only spoke with one other hunter and the reason for that was because of a big bull moose hanging around. I've taken all 3 species of deer the state has and it was all done on public land. Deer, Elk, Moose, Sheep, Goat, Bears, Cougar, upland birds, grouse and waterfowl is hunted on public property with great success. Most places I hunt are places that I don't see other people. Get off the road and a guy has an endless playground.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
first of all where is all the public hunting land in texas? I grew up there and knew of NONE unless it was around the many lakes in the area mainly used for picnicking and lake activities.

The public lands isssue is the main reason I would never move back to texas. you wanna ride your atv, know someone pay someone or own the land. you want to shoot your guns,know someone pay someone or own the land, you want to hunt know someone pay someone or own the land, you want to fire off your cannon,know someone pay someone or own the land, you want to go 4 wheeling, know someone pay someone or own the land.

I can throw my guns in the truck and head out to the desert or the mountains and shoot anywhere I want to. can't do that in Texas.

the biggest threat we have around here is this push the state is doing to take control of all the federal lands. This happened in the east and south and guess what there is no public lands there anymore.
The biggest cogs pushing the transfer of federal lands to the states are in Utah; Bishop and Chaffetz specifically. Kinda ironic from my view considering the economics of public land to the state of Utah...

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I think back in the late 60's I paid about $20 to hunt one year on a private ranch and a couple years I paid the same amount to hunt on the Jicarilla Apache reservation. Then I did one guided hunt in Alberta, but it was on public land.

Other than that, I have always hunted public land from 1955 until now. I don't see the crowds because I hunt wilderness areas or at least hard to get to areas.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I guess that I hunt for 'free', mortgage, property taxes and upkeep excluded.

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My brother and I are on a 1500 acre lease on lake falcon. We can also fish and hunt ducks. This is our first season on it. There are 3 other hunters. It's 1500 a piece for them. But my brother must be part Jew he got the both of us on for the price of one. They usually kill a couple bucks in the 150-160 range there each season. I'm forunate enough to also have a buddy who lets me hunt his place no charge, his ranch has been in their family since 1852.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have been fortunate to hunt public, private, paper company,large ranches that I paid to hunt and large private holdings that I did not have to pay anything.

I guess I have covered it all at one point or another. I have been very fortunate to have been invited by gracious landowners to hunt their properties in different states and provinces, either on my own or part of an outfitted operation.

In Canada I have hunted Crown Land and loved it. My biggest Colorado mule deer was killed on public land,but access was over private.

Here in New England I have access to literally millions of acres of big woods country, in northern Maine and NH,where admission is the price of a license. I love having easy access to country with big whitetails.

I would say I have done more hunting unguided public access land than any other situation.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/26/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
680 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.