Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
When salmon are spawning at outlet of Paxton fish in the closed(to salmon fishing) area with an egg or facsimile. If it is still legal to do so. 12 inchers used to be in there thick sucking up Salmon roe.

Soak some eggs off the shore in Kenai Lake late evening/overnight down Hidden Lake Trail. Almost always has worked for me for lakers, dollies and the occaisional rainbow. Or most anywhere probably. They come up and cruise the shoreline late eve and night.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Michigan state record was caught in Lake Superior off L'Anse....61.5lbs. It is on display at the Hillside Restaurant in L'Anse. I was told it was caught near Stannard Rock,

http://daybreakfish.com/stannard-rock-offshore-adventure/

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las
When salmon are spawning at outlet of Paxton fish in the closed(to salmon fishing) area with an egg or facsimile. If it is still legal to do so. 12 inchers used to be in there thick sucking up Salmon roe.

Soak some eggs off the shore in Kenai Lake late evening/overnight down Hidden Lake Trail. Almost always has worked for me for lakers, dollies and the occaisional rainbow. Or most anywhere probably. They come up and cruise the shoreline late eve and night.

Not being a smart azz, but I can't find a paxton lake, I'm assuming paxson and paxton are the same? Google earth couldn't anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My wife's first from our place in north Idaho. Now empty nesters we need to get up there for rainbows.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by las

Not being a smart azz, but I can't find a paxton lake, I'm assuming paxson and paxton are the same? Google earth couldn't anyway.

And I think he is talking about Summit Lake, rather than Paxson as that is where the closed area is. And I have not seen the swarms of small lakers in many years.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just curious. I'm sure it's temperature and food source specific, but how old would some of those yard long fish be?

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Research there showed 8 years to maturity and about 25", and 8 more years to 26". Things slow WAY down when they start spawning.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 405wcf
The Michigan state record was caught in Lake Superior off L'Anse....61.5lbs. It is on display at the Hillside Restaurant in L'Anse. I was told it was caught near Stannard Rock,

If you stop to check it out, get yourself a cinnamon roll while youre there.....

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pittu
Originally Posted by 405wcf

If you stop to check it out, get yourself a cinnamon roll while youre there.....

Best cinnamon roll I have ever had!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by las

And I think he is talking about Summit Lake, rather than Paxson as that is where the closed area is. And I have not seen the swarms of small lakers in many years.

There is definitely great ranbow fishing at the outlet of Paxson, we would fish down there a couple times a year. Never got much for lakers there this time of year but the rainbow fishing is really good. We always fished beads though. There are a couple of markers along the shore that mark where the lakers spawn. We fished those spots in the fall with great success.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You guys are correct. "Paxton" was misspelled. Should have been spelled "Summit".

Have not been to either lake or area in 30 plus years. Brain ain't the only thing on a downgrade..... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I felt like an azz for asking, but I know how my brain works these days.

Thanks, Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good read... http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=364. ...I have some old paperwork from a fish /l trout study off the D- hwy.... The fish are old !!!! And I to have found the fish grow to the lake size.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

478 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 46 invisible), 2,105 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.