Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
As in red headed stepchild? I was toying with the idea of getting a .260 Remington but as I started looking at the big on-line dealers for dies and components I can't find anything but Lapua, Norma or Nosler brass. Even Hornady doesn't seem to make it but they make lots of 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 CM, 6.5X55 and even 6.5-284 cases, heck they even make .275 Rigby cases. But nada, zippo for the .260 that I can see. Remington makes brass but apparently hasn't for awhile, but that's pretty true of a lot of their brass. Even Prvi doesn't make any.

Seems the poor .260 has been abandoned and left to fend for itself. Now, that quality brass is fine but I still haven't wrapped my mind around paying over $1 per case. Basically I'm cheap and don't mind sorting through the plebeian stuff to get good cases.

So, given that this new rifle whim takes root, what's the better way to go to make .260 brass? Neck up .243 which is plentiful and still reasonable or neck down .308 which is even more plentiful and reasonable? I've never formed one case from another except to make .250 AI cases from .22-250 brass and I fire formed with COW to make those. Kind of thinking that might be easier except it would cost some primers and Unique.

Added: Yeah, I know, get a 6.5 Creedmoor. I would in a heartbeat but for some unearthly reason firearm manufacturers don't make a plethora of left handed Creedmoors. There are still some LH .260 Tikkas in stock for dirt cheap prices and that's what I was looking at.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
243 to 260 is the easiest one there is. just lube and run em through. zero case loss.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would neck down 7-08 brass or neck up 243 if you don't wanna pay for premium....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just buy the Lapua brass... it's worth the extra 30%

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim
If I was doing(making) 260 cases I would use 7-o8 brass and this avoid any problems should some one pick up one of your modified cases and try to shoot it. 260 in a 7-08 no problems, some idiot might try the other way. Just my take. YTMV Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've made thousands of 260 cases from new Hornady, Norma, and Winchester/Olin 243 brass. Heck, I probably have 1,000 rounds of loaded 260 ammo on the shelf that all has 243 headstamps. I'm pretty sure that the only brass that I have with 260 headstamps came to me as Remington and Speer factory ammo.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
northcountry,

Apparently you've never tried to run a .260 round through a .243. If you did, you'd find they can't come anywhere close to chambering.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
northcountry,

Apparently you've never tried to run a .260 round through a .243. If you did, you'd find they can't come anywhere close to chambering.

Are you sure? Have you tried using a teenager?

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I just picked up one of those Tikka T3 closeouts.

My plan is to use 7-08 brass. Found some WW cases at Sportmans Whorehouse last nite. Need to order some Lapua - it's really worth the moolah.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
243 brass is as cheap and plentiful as most.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lapua, Norma and Nosler make good brass, it's not too hard to find either. If people would actually buy and use 260 Rem brass instead of using 7mm-08 or 243 there would probably be a lot more on the shelf.

Gerry.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have enough 260 Remington brass to keep my freezer full, but if I didn't, I'd likely buy some 243 to run through a sizing die. I have a 6mm remington, but no 243, so it wouldn't cause any problems hereabouts.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
imho,
Only with Lapua brass being available at .90 cents a case would there be a serious discussion about the .260 Remington slipping into obscurity. To say nothing of Norma or Nosler's Norma Head Stamped version. Add proper annealing, AMP or the like, and amortize the price of Lapua brass over the long haul and I suspect it would significantly out pace Remington for value. If it is for a deer rifle then 100 cases will likely last for the rest of your life. If it is for competition you simply have to color your case head with an odd color sharpie and pick up your brass. Attrition will happen, however, we live in an age of plenty when it comes to just about anything 6.5mm related. How this discussion is seriously posed is beyond me... With all due respect.

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I just use 308 WIN. cases.

They work and i have more of them than any other.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For years 260 fans complained of the lack of quality brass available.

Now the brass is too good. Sheeeesh...... grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Matt in Virginia
....amortize the price of Lapua brass over the long haul and I suspect it would significantly out pace Remington for value.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but you don't need to amortize anything. When you're on your death bed, add up the money you have in the bank and chances are it'll be enough that you could've bought a couple hundred Lapua cases and lived high on the hog.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While we are on the subject, if anyone would like to trade me 50-60 Lapua 260 Rem brass for same in 308 Win, please PM me...

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
The 260 is in no danger of extinction around here.

I bought a pair of Model 77 MK II all weathers in 260 many years ago. Gave one to my son. Mine is now out getting a new Kreiger tube in........260.

I have 200 pieces of Lapua brass sitting on the shelf with 120 gr SMK and 123 Scenars waiting in the wings.

260 brass has always been a bit tough to find. About half of my old brass is stamped 7-08. I would rather neck down than up, as it allows one to leave a false shoulder on virgin hulls to ensure positive headspace.

I have been known to neck up two steps and neck down one with virgin brass.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
...with 120 gr SMK and 123 Scenars waiting in the wings.

Those 123's are skookum in the 260, in case you haven't tried 'em yet.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Since Lapua brass is available, the redhead is looking really good!

Otherwise, neck down 7-08 with a false shoulder and you'll never run dry.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I couldn't find 7-08 brass so I used Lapua 308 and made em.

Glad I did.

I reload for my son's 243 and while I'm a Hornady slut - their 243 brass sucks. It's the only brass that his Ruger won't hold reliably. HATE the stuff.

I'm a cheap bugger usually but Lapua brass is so DAMNED NICE once you get your hands on it. I'd spring for it and never look back.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
As in red headed stepchild?

Seems the poor .260 has been abandoned and left to fend for itself.

Added: Yeah, I know, get a 6.5 Creedmoor. I would in a heartbeat but for some unearthly reason firearm manufacturers don't make a plethora of left handed Creedmoors. There are still some LH .260 Tikkas in stock for dirt cheap prices and that's what I was looking at.

Brass isn't the problem, that is just a symptom :

The .260 needs an 8" twist and a 3" mag to shoot the 140's as well as the Creedmoor. The T3 has the twist, and if you really need to shoot the 140's, those mag issues can be "adjusted".

Get the LH T3 before they are gone, and you regret it !

--> In fact buy 2 and convert one to 6.5-280AI ;-)

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
As in red headed stepchild? I was toying with the idea of getting a .260 Remington but as I started looking at the big on-line dealers for dies and components I can't find anything but Lapua, Norma or Nosler brass. Even Hornady doesn't seem to make it but they make lots of 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 CM, 6.5X55 and even 6.5-284 cases, heck they even make .275 Rigby cases. But nada, zippo for the .260 that I can see. Remington makes brass but apparently hasn't for awhile, but that's pretty true of a lot of their brass. Even Prvi doesn't make any.

Seems the poor .260 has been abandoned and left to fend for itself. Now, that quality brass is fine but I still haven't wrapped my mind around paying over $1 per case. Basically I'm cheap and don't mind sorting through the plebeian stuff to get good cases.

So, given that this new rifle whim takes root, what's the better way to go to make .260 brass? Neck up .243 which is plentiful and still reasonable or neck down .308 which is even more plentiful and reasonable? I've never formed one case from another except to make .250 AI cases from .22-250 brass and I fire formed with COW to make those. Kind of thinking that might be easier except it would cost some primers and Unique.

I have three 260s (currently), a Ruger, a Forbes, and a custom 700 target gun. Each has it's own supply of brass - Remington for the Ruger, Lapua for the custom. The Forbes is being fed via reformed WW 7/08 brass. This way I have a positive ID as to which cases belong to which rifle. I don't have a 243, so I could use that brass also, in a pinch. My Remington brass (100pcs) is at least 10 years old, and is on it's 5th reload. I'll probably retire it then, and since it's impossible to find, I plan to switch to Nosler for that rifle.

Buy yourself that 260. You won't regret it....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Part of the fun of looking for a new toy, for me at least, is gathering as much info as I can about it, weighing the pros and cons, etc.

I tend to get a little penny wise and pound foolish about these things so it helps to get other viewpoints. Nothing like spending $590 for a rifle (and buying it in the first place because it's "on sale!"), another $100 or more for a good combination of dies - collet sizer, body die and good seater - and then trying to save $40 on cases. wink

Anyway, I do appreciate everybody's advice and comments.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, especially when the cases are essentially the final touch on the rifle's chamber.

The first thing I did after acquiring one of the Tikka T3 Lites in .260 from Whittaker Guns about a year ago was order 100 Lapua cases.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have hunting with a Sako 75 in .260 for the last 8 years. I liked it so much that I wanted a heavy barrel for target work @ 1K without breaking the bank.

I therefore bought a Cabela's Savage 12FV and re-barreled it using a Criterion 28" bull profile, rem match chamber in 1/8 twist. I bedded this into a B&C A2 stock and it is currently shaping up to be one of my most accurate guns. This includes my custom jobs in .308.

In my hunting rifle, I use plain Rem. 260 brass and it serves me well. Like others dais, you don't need many cases for hunting work.

For this new rifle, I purchase 100 pcs of Lapua .260. Having used Lapua in .308, I knew it was worth it. At almost a buck a case, amortization return is so low b/t loading them 10x vs 20x that I'll buy more if I need to.

With all of the above said, I can load Hornady 140 ELDs to 2.900 in the Savage and they'll fit in the magazine. The beauty of the .260 is that you can neck up or down any .308 case and be ready to roll. Try that with a 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x47.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Found it more economical to stock up on Prime ammo in 260 Rem to start. Just $31.99 a box , Norma brass and 130 OTM Norma bullet with a .583 bc.
Play on paper then load them up with what ever you want.

Did the same with the 6.5 Creedmoor but at only $ 26.60 a box.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was kinda thinking the 260 was making a bit of a comeback. I have owned 4 currently 3 and its probably one of my favorites. Have you been looking at which has more factory ammo choices 6.5CM or 260?

I generally believe that the Lapua brass has always been the most economical choice best quality and lasts better than any.

I have some that are on a dozen or more firings stopped counting and waiting on primer pockets to go. The Rem brass has a bit more capacity not sure if that translates to much but it lasts about 7 firings although you have to start culling after 3 firings.

I was surprised that Lapua did not start making 6.5 CM but they already make more 6.5's than any and the 6.5x47 looks like their number.

Good luck and shoot straight all you 260 shooters

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking into a 6.5-08 myself right now. Trying to decide between it and another 7-08 for deer and piggies.

Doubt it's going anywhere although a bud is singing the praises of his Creedmoors to me and why they are so much better than the 260.

Says the Creed better in a SA rifle, guess that depends on bullet weight/style and which rifle a guy has.

Wish Ruger would offer it in a SS Synthetic but since they do so much work with Hornady I doubt that will happen. So looking at the dreaded 700 since the Savages are all removable mags which are a no-go for me.

Really not any flies on the cartridge in my mind.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
scottishkat,

The word is that Lapua is coming out with 6.5 CM brass.

My recent thought was that the rise of the 6.5 CM would depress the 260 REM into the shadows. After reading this thread and giving it some more thought, I think the attention that the Creedmoor is getting may increase the overall interest in all .264 cartridges.

That may increase the interest in the 260 REM.

Sort of a "rising tide floats all boats" effect.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Looking into a 6.5-08 myself right now. Trying to decide between it and another 7-08 for deer and piggies.

Doubt it's going anywhere although a bud is singing the praises of his Creedmoors to me and why they are so much better than the 260.

Says the Creed better in a SA rifle, guess that depends on bullet weight/style and which rifle a guy has.

Wish Ruger would offer it in a SS Synthetic but since they do so much work with Hornady I doubt that will happen. So looking at the dreaded 700 since the Savages are all removable mags which are a no-go for me.

Really not any flies on the cartridge in my mind.

The Ruger Hawkeye FTW is available in both .260 and 6.5 CM with 8" twisted barrels. It's stainless, threaded, and braked, with both a plain cap and a cap weight-matched to the brake. The stock is laminated, painted in a Natural Gear-ish camo, and has adjustable LOP via spacers like some of the scouts. Not cheap, but not awful either.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/27/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I was already invested in .260 reloading equipment which is why I built the latest Salvage into a .260. Had I not been invested in dies and brass, I would probably have gone 6.5 Creed. I don't think you can go wrong with either unless you like to seat bullets into the lands (I don't) and then the Creed makes sense.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sometimes this stuff feels like the splitting of hairs. I couldn't get the least concerned about the popularity slippage or demise of any cartridge, or the cost of the preferred brass .

In thinking about past enthusiasm for the "next new big thing" cartridges that emerged over time (the WSMs are an example), there is cause for a smile. Given modern powders and bullets, some cartridge designs more than 100 years old seem to run right along with these "moderns". No fuss.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by CCCC
Given modern powders and bullets, some cartridge designs more than 100 years old seem to run right along with these "moderns". No fuss.

Yeah, guess I won't be dumping my 6.5 X 55's any time soon.

Mathew 22: 37-39

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My .260 was chomping at the bit today.... It is getting impatient for antelope season to get here. So I took it to the prairie to send a few 130 gr JLK's downrange.
Red headed step child. I think not!

I would like a T3 in .260 for my wife and I to share hunting......

P.S. I have used Remington brass only since i have owned a .260 and never experienced the problems others have. It has been accurate and long lasting enough for my uses.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If I owned neither rifle, especially were I not into reloading, I'd go the Creedmoor route. Be it marketing, Remington ineptitude, or merit, the Creedmoor is the winner for the short action 6.5 cartridge of our time. It gains daily in popularity and has become mainstream beyond what the 260 ever did.

If I had a 260 I would not toss it aside but neither would I seek one.

I am, in case it needs stating, not a gunwriter.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm committed. I have 4, 260's and don't see trading any of them for a creed.

Last edited by 6MMWASP; 08/27/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...and here I was studying on losing the T3 260 and picking up a couple Swede T3's in different colors for a matched pair during the Europtic closeout...to make sure I allus had enough access to properly labeled 260 brass as I progress deeper into geezerhood...and ya'll are sayin' NO Don't Do That?

Just wisht I'd bought a T3 SS 260 the last time I saw one...but this is the last blanket toss cleanout of the safe and the only keepers will Not be the mishmash junk like the NH 7 digit M70 Whizzum now residing at the LGS on consignment. Hmmmm, ain't gonna do nuthing 'till I got some Mail Box Money from the LGS so there is time to rethink everything a time or to...kinda like Measure 3 times and use the saw to only cut once.
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
...with 120 gr SMK and 123 Scenars waiting in the wings.

Those 123's are skookum in the 260, in case you haven't tried 'em yet.

I Hope zo. The barrel is still out to be salt bath nitrided. I am anxious to get it back in my hands and see how she shoots.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I just use 308 WIN. cases.

They work and i have more of them than any other.

Just out of curiosity several years ago, i resized 308 Win. brass to 260 Rem. It worked well and was easy as pie! Just lube the case and run it into the sizer.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Terry Wieland (in Rifle magazine) said that he expects the 260 Rem. to become more popular since the US military has adopted it for several purposes. I wasn't aware of the military interest - does anyone have any knowledge?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Terry Weiland mentioned in a recent article on 6.5's that the .260 had just been adopted by the military for specialized use and consequentially it might give the round a boost.
I couldn't find any more info about this "development" and am curious if any of you folks have heard of this?

I've used .260's for the last dozen years or so but am down to just one as I consider switching to the 6.5 CM. I sure have lots of .260 stuff I wouldn't care to replace tho.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ha! Great minds think alike. Or ask the same questions anyway smile

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, all of you guys sure have me twisting my own arm to pull the trigger on one. wink

As I get older I'm really liking the medium sized rounds, they have plenty enough oomph but don't kick as much or eat as much powder as the '06 based rounds and certainly not like magnums. The .243 is a lot of fun to load and shoot but it definitely eats throats. I've been playing with a 101 year old 6.5x55 for a couple of years now and this weekend ran my first 50 rounds through a modern 6.5 Swede - an MRC 1999 - and sure do like that .264 bore in these middlin' sized cases. Both rifles are very accurate with mild recoil, there are lots of great bullets available and unless someone's been hiding the fact, they don't burn out throats like their half millimeter smaller cousin.

Now if Ruger would just start making the standard LH American in 6.5 Creedmoor... whistle

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, I just sent in the order for a new left hand Tikka T3X Hunter in .260 Remington. I was going to get one of the discontinued T3 models on sale but after comparing them side by side at the local Sportsman's Warehouse I much prefer the checkering and feel of the newer stock, plus I found a very good price for one online.

Simultaneously, I submitted an order for 100 Lapua cases and the necessary dies and such to get started reloading. After all, it's only money, right?

Thanks to all the enablers here for helping persuade me to get this, perhaps I can return the favor some day... wink

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Huh.

I compared a T3 and a T3X side by side and decided I like the fit and finish and attention to detail of the old one better.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just coughed up $102 shipped for 260 brass also. My problem is that even though I have plenty of brass to make it from, I have multiple rifles in all the chamberings and mixed headstamps/chamberings is just something I don't need. I have enough trouble keeping track of "which 243, or which 308", etc. already.......

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, you and me both. wink Couple of .243's, couple of .308's plus older lots of brass from other now sold .243's or .308's sitting around waiting for the current lots to get used up, etc. etc.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah. I try real hard to label stuff. And am usually pretty good about it, but well, you know.

I am now down to 2 223s for maybe first time ever. One bolt, one AR. Was sorting through some brass and found brass with extractor marks on it labeled for a bolt gun, etc.

I wish I woulda just had all 5.56 HS in the ARs and 223 HS in the bolt guns, but it is way beyond that now. Plus I really like LC brass and have for a long time.

The 243 stuff is a mess also. Brass here for 4 of them, have loaded for 6 that I can think of. I won't go on. 308s too. Same sheeeit.

I would like to streamline my mess. Pick 1-2 223 bullets, sell rest, etc., etc.

Have tried to consolidate powders also, but still have 28 different ones on hand. I am phasing certain ones out though.

Maybe, eventually I will run a tight-knit operation here grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Different rifles in same cartridge - ID brass used in each - dot(s) on case head with perm marker 1st time used, repeat as needed.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 338Rules
[quote=Jim in Idaho]As in red headed stepchild?

Seems the poor .260 has been abandoned and left to fend for itself.

Brass isn't the problem, that is just a symptom :

The .260 needs an 8" twist and a 3" mag to shoot the 140's as well as the Creedmoor. The T3 has the twist, and if you really need to shoot the 140's, those mag issues can be "adjusted".

Get the LH T3 before they are gone, and you regret it !

--> In fact buy 2 and convert one to 6.5-280AI ;-) [/quote
My last 260 build was 1:8 hart screwed on to a long action

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I bet I have a thousand pieces of brass to load my 260s with.... and I bet less than 50 are stamped 260 on the bottom... most are stamped 308.... as they are plentiful and I don't shoot a 308... so zero confusion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

ldholton : " My last 260 build was 1:8 hart screwed on to a long action "

Why did you choose a long action ? Throating / Magazine length ? Which Long action ?

The reason for my earlier suggestion of buying 2 ( made only half in jest ), was that LH actions can be scarce, and a T3 .260 could be readily reamed out to the 6.5x280AI.
Mag & Bolt Stop mods extra of course

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 338Rules

ldholton : " My last 260 build was 1:8 hart screwed on to a long action "

Why did you choose a long action ? Throating / Magazine length ? Which Long action ?

The reason for my earlier suggestion of buying 2 ( made only half in jest ), was that LH actions can be scarce, and a T3 .260 could be readily reamed out to the 6.5x280AI.
Mag & Bolt Stop mods extra of course
Used old sportsman 78 action , same as 700 LA so I could seat 140-142's out and "chase" lands as they wear and still run ammo through the mag. for hunter class silhoutte rifle

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
.260's hair isn't red.... but here's a redhead with her .260...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The OP asked his question in the wrong place, if he expects an objective answer.

A loony forum made up of a bunch of churners, turners, and barrel burners could never give a straight answer to it.

Of course, the .260 is and always has been a red headed stepchild, except for here where any and all cartridge configurations have their afficionados.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by johnw
The OP asked his question in the wrong place, if he expects an objective answer.

A loony forum made up of a bunch of churners, turners, and barrel burners could never give a straight answer to it.

Of course, the .260 is and always has been a red headed stepchild, except for here where any and all cartridge configurations have their afficionados.

My interpretation of the OP's original question was whether the lack of component brass has made the 260 an undesirable cartridge choice.

Access to 260 component brass has been an issue since it was introduced in 1997. I think that most guys who shoot 260s accept that as a fact of doing business and just use resized 243, 7mm08, or 308 parent cases. If a person is going to shoot factory ammo or feels the need to shoot longer VLD-style bullets, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a much better choice. If a person is going to load his/her own ammo, doesn't mind using brass with different head-stamps, and thinks that he/she can get by with bullets of 130 grains or less, the 260 is still, IMO, a very viable 6.5mm bore cartridge.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You do realize a .260 will run a 140 VLD just fine at 2.8".... and typically still out pace a Creed.... right? Kissing lands isn't necessary... just preferable, and at 2.8" with a 140, the .260 still has more case capacity than the Creed with same bullet at same length.

I've yet to see a factory Creed that'll kiss a VLD and keep it in a 2.8" mag either. This whole "the Creed is better in a short action" wives tale is getting old. The only reasons a Creed is "superior"... is the factory ammo and platform availability.

If you really need to kiss a 140 and feed it from a 2.8" magazine, then the x47 is the best choice.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just talked to the OP and he said the real reason for asking was that he was wondering if the 6.5 Creedmoor wasn't sending the .260 into an early obsolescence, something like the .243 did to the 6mm Remington. The relative dearth of readily available cases seemed to portend this but, being as loony as anyone, he was then wondering what would be the best route to go if the supply of brass cases headstamped .260 continued to dwindle.

We talked about several things and he also let on that he is actually quite fond of red headed children such as the 6mm Remington et al, and once converted a perfectly good and quite valuable LH .30-06 Model 70 into a 6mm.

Personally I think he's crazy and should stick with the .30-06, .270, 7mm RM and .300 WM which are what God intended left handers to shoot...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seem to remember it was a factor other than simply the .243 that kinda killed the .244 Rem - or is that what you meant by the 6mm?

RSY Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djs
Terry Wieland (in Rifle magazine) said that he expects the 260 Rem. to become more popular since the US military has adopted it for several purposes. I wasn't aware of the military interest - does anyone have any knowledge?

This. Recently came across some scuttlebutt that the .260 is on the rise in the AR world (wonder what took so long). If that turns out to be the case, stand by for increased availability of all things related.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
DocGKR has been posting in another forum suggesting the .260 is on the rise with .mil users.

My speculation is the geometry being more like the 30-06 and 7.62x51 gives it an edge in reliability when feeding in autoloaders. Who would have guessed?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Mine runs just fine at 2.81 with 140/142 pills. Brass is no big deal, buy Nosler, Lapua, and shoot away.

But I am a read head so who knows?

Good Shooting!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
260 is thriving, its one of the most popular cartridges in the exploding sport of PRS.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm going through a quandary - do I re-barrel a 260 Rem Model Seven or just buy a new rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hunting1
Mine runs just fine at 2.81 with 140/142 pills. Brass is no big deal, buy Nosler, Lapua, and shoot away.

But I am a read head so who knows?
I hardly have any hair, but I can easily fit rounds in the Savage 260 when loaded with 139gr Scenars. Knocks holes in pronghorns too!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bought a closeout SS/fluted T3 from Whittakers a month ago. Dies and brass (WW and Lapua 7-08) should arrive this week. Someone tune me up on a longer (3.00") detachable mag.

Considered a Montana in Cred pretty hard. May go that route if the T3 doesn't make be happy. Still perplexed by the "loose" recoil lug thingy. It'll prolly shoot despite this.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The good news is my read headed child is shooting pretty good albeit with the shorter bullets. Well, "fantastic" with the shorter ones but only "good to great" with a longer one. Got a T3x Hunter in .260 and this is from a comment I made about it in another thread.

Tikka T3x .260 – This one is the classic .260 conundrum since it comes with a 2.8” magazine, you can load to 2.805 or 2.81” max. The relatively short Hornady 100 gr. A-Max is only .01 off the lands at a 2.8” OAL, even the Hornady 129 Spire Point is only .015” off the lands when seated to touch. But the 123 gr. A-Max is a full .090” off the lands at 2.8”. In mine the 100 and 129 grainers shoot just fine, half inch or better for 4 shots in fact (it is a Tikka, after all), but that 123 grain bullet needs another .08” room, it will shoot great but only if you load it too long to fit in the mag.

You can modify the Tikka bolt stop to allow a full length travel and that’s probably what you’d need to do if you want to use that in conjunction with a full length magazine to really touch the lands with the longer bullets. I tried a long magazine to see if that would work – even in their "short action" i.e. short bolt stop the bolt comes back far enough to allow a 3.1” OAL and still pick up the rounds - but feeding becomes problematic with bullets tending to nose dive and shift around in the magazine too much.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Sent my parts off to the smith last week, including a Wyatt's box. I spec'd out the build sheet down to the last detail, if it comes back with red hair I'm gonna be pissed.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Gee guys....

some of us around here have been shooting the Ruger 77 Mk2 in 260, with a one in 8 twist and a decent length magazine for a decade and a half or more....

or the Rem VLS since about 1998.....

why so long for everyone to get on the bandwagon, on something that offers so much....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
.260's hair isn't red.... but here's a redhead with her .260...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Best answer, yet.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

451 members (17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1lesfox, 34 invisible), 1,710 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,227
Posts18,447,707
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.