Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-mulls-rule-require-speed-limiting-devices-trucks-145040555.html
The U.S. Transportation Department on Friday issued a proposed rule that would require trucks and buses to be equipped with devices that would limit their speed, a move it said could save both lives and fuel.

The agency said it will weigh setting speed limits at 60, 65 or 68 miles per hour for heavy commercial vehicles, but will consider other speeds based on comments from the public. Speed limits on interstate highways vary across the United States, with some states allowing vehicles to drive as fast as 85 miles (137 km) per hour, though many states have lower maximum speeds for trucks.

"There are significant safety benefits to this proposed rulemaking," Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said in a statement. "In addition to saving lives, the projected fuel and emissions savings make this proposal a win for safety, energy conservation, and our environment."

Under the long-delayed proposal, all new U.S. trucks and buses weighing more than 26,000 pounds (11,793 kg) would need to be equipped with a speed-limiting device.

The department said the maximum allowable speed would be decided after the agency receives public input. Publication of the proposal kicks off a 60-day comment period.

It said both vehicle manufacturers and the companies that purchase and operate the vehicles would be subject to the rule.

Representatives of truck makers and large truck fleets contacted Friday did not comment or said they were still studying the proposal.

It's for the environment...

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More federal meddling.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Unfortunately most of the big carriers have cut their fleets back to the low 60's (mph) 5+ years ago. Saves fuel, supposedly. Pisses off the public when you're in the way. Not to mention most of the drivers of said trucks.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just another step into taking away freedom. You watch, the self driving cars will transition into, cars that can only be self driven. And in 50 years time (probably sooner), you won't be allowed to drive a car anymore.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Calhoun
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-mulls-rule-require-speed-limiting-devices-trucks-145040555.html
The U.S. Transportation Department on Friday issued a proposed rule that would require trucks and buses to be equipped with devices that would limit their speed, a move it said could save both lives and fuel.

The agency said it will weigh setting speed limits at 60, 65 or 68 miles per hour for heavy commercial vehicles, but will consider other speeds based on comments from the public. Speed limits on interstate highways vary across the United States, with some states allowing vehicles to drive as fast as 85 miles (137 km) per hour, though many states have lower maximum speeds for trucks.

"There are significant safety benefits to this proposed rulemaking," Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said in a statement. "In addition to saving lives, the projected fuel and emissions savings make this proposal a win for safety, energy conservation, and our environment."

Under the long-delayed proposal, all new U.S. trucks and buses weighing more than 26,000 pounds (11,793 kg) would need to be equipped with a speed-limiting device.

The department said the maximum allowable speed would be decided after the agency receives public input. Publication of the proposal kicks off a 60-day comment period.

It said both vehicle manufacturers and the companies that purchase and operate the vehicles would be subject to the rule.

Representatives of truck makers and large truck fleets contacted Friday did not comment or said they were still studying the proposal.

Interstate commuters might believe survival.

I get sick of trucks throwing on their turn signal and cutting people off so they can do another half a mph faster than the truck they'll take the next two miles to pass. If they ever offer Hellfire missiles as an option, I'm in. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bhemry
Unfortunately most of the big carriers have cut their fleets back to the low 60's (mph) 5+ years ago. Saves fuel, supposedly. Pisses off the public when you're in the way. Not to mention most of the drivers of said trucks.

The big carriers are the entire problem with the trucking industry today

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The guys proposing these rules have obviously never driven across the country. They probably think an hours drive is a long one. Let them get bottled up behind a couple of trucks playing hopscotch on the interstate and see how frustrating it is. Truckers seem to have self regulated as it is. It's pretty rare when I'm doing 80 or 85 on the interstate and a truck passes me. Heck, with the posted limits at 80 and 85 I don't even go 5 over anymore.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
bastad trucks should never be allowed to get in the passing lane ! it is made to pass not drive for 30 miles with 50+ cars backed up behind!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I imagine it won't be long before most trucks are unmanned.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I imagine it won't be long before most trucks are unmanned.

Poor truck drivers. Hope the surgery goes well.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cars would not be far behind...pun intended...
They would make more revenue if they would just record your speed and send your tickets to your car computer...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Just another step into taking away freedom. You watch, the self driving cars will transition into, cars that can only be self driven. And in 50 years time (probably sooner), you won't be allowed to drive a car anymore.

Saw a story on TV about Ford saying they expect to bring full (level 5) autonomous driving to the market in 5 years. The technology is advancing rapidly now that lots of high tech, high buck companies are behind it. When perfected it's expected to be much safer than human drivers, so at some point you'll have to pay a high premium (insurance and maybe advanced driver's training) to be allowed to have a vehicular that can be manually driven. Over the road trucks won't need drivers, but may carry a mechanic on some routes to chain-up, clean sensor lenses, etc.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RickyD
Interstate commuters might believe survival.

I get sick of trucks throwing on their turn signal and cutting people off so they can do another half a mph faster than the truck they'll take the next two miles to pass. If they ever offer Hellfire missiles as an option, I'm in. grin

I drove heavy haul, 105,500 GVW. I don't remember passing any truck on a hill. wink

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickyD

You understand, of course, that speed limiting devices are exactly why the situation you are sick of exists.

Or do you?

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Calhoun

I was driving at 75 mph on I-25 (Colorado) yesterday {speed limit = 75] and was closely followed by a semi that wanted to go faster. I just tapped my brakes (to activate brake lights) and he backed off, pulled around and cut me off. so much for courteousness and obeying the law.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
They are already on all the trucks if they have a computer controlled engine. All I have to do is hook up my laptop to the truck and open options up and set the max speed to what ever the owner wants the top speed to be. Takes me less than 10 minutes.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
...I just tapped my brakes (to activate brake lights) and he backed off, pulled around and cut me off. so much for courteousness and obeying the law.

Brake checking is illegal and discourteous.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just keep them the fug out of the passing lane.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My neighbor is a mechanic for a Sysco fleet and they took their limiters off.

Near the warehouse, and the primary entrance to I95 towards DC, is a left entrance onto the highway. With governors at 55 they were trying to merge into 80+ mile an hour traffic at all hours. Apparently the state police came by and discussed and then they discussed with the drivers union and then Sysco had a chat with their insurance company and the governors are gone.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by djs
...I just tapped my brakes (to activate brake lights) and he backed off, pulled around and cut me off. so much for courteousness and obeying the law.

Brake checking is illegal and discourteous.

I flip my lights on and off to get that effect.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

617 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,276
Posts18,448,425
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.