Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-mulls-rule-require-speed-limiting-devices-trucks-145040555.html
The U.S. Transportation Department on Friday issued a proposed rule that would require trucks and buses to be equipped with devices that would limit their speed, a move it said could save both lives and fuel.

The agency said it will weigh setting speed limits at 60, 65 or 68 miles per hour for heavy commercial vehicles, but will consider other speeds based on comments from the public. Speed limits on interstate highways vary across the United States, with some states allowing vehicles to drive as fast as 85 miles (137 km) per hour, though many states have lower maximum speeds for trucks.

"There are significant safety benefits to this proposed rulemaking," Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said in a statement. "In addition to saving lives, the projected fuel and emissions savings make this proposal a win for safety, energy conservation, and our environment."

Under the long-delayed proposal, all new U.S. trucks and buses weighing more than 26,000 pounds (11,793 kg) would need to be equipped with a speed-limiting device.

The department said the maximum allowable speed would be decided after the agency receives public input. Publication of the proposal kicks off a 60-day comment period.

It said both vehicle manufacturers and the companies that purchase and operate the vehicles would be subject to the rule.

Representatives of truck makers and large truck fleets contacted Friday did not comment or said they were still studying the proposal.

It's for the environment...

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
More federal meddling.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Unfortunately most of the big carriers have cut their fleets back to the low 60's (mph) 5+ years ago. Saves fuel, supposedly. Pisses off the public when you're in the way. Not to mention most of the drivers of said trucks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just another step into taking away freedom. You watch, the self driving cars will transition into, cars that can only be self driven. And in 50 years time (probably sooner), you won't be allowed to drive a car anymore.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Calhoun
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-mulls-rule-require-speed-limiting-devices-trucks-145040555.html
The U.S. Transportation Department on Friday issued a proposed rule that would require trucks and buses to be equipped with devices that would limit their speed, a move it said could save both lives and fuel.

The agency said it will weigh setting speed limits at 60, 65 or 68 miles per hour for heavy commercial vehicles, but will consider other speeds based on comments from the public. Speed limits on interstate highways vary across the United States, with some states allowing vehicles to drive as fast as 85 miles (137 km) per hour, though many states have lower maximum speeds for trucks.

"There are significant safety benefits to this proposed rulemaking," Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx said in a statement. "In addition to saving lives, the projected fuel and emissions savings make this proposal a win for safety, energy conservation, and our environment."

Under the long-delayed proposal, all new U.S. trucks and buses weighing more than 26,000 pounds (11,793 kg) would need to be equipped with a speed-limiting device.

The department said the maximum allowable speed would be decided after the agency receives public input. Publication of the proposal kicks off a 60-day comment period.

It said both vehicle manufacturers and the companies that purchase and operate the vehicles would be subject to the rule.

Representatives of truck makers and large truck fleets contacted Friday did not comment or said they were still studying the proposal.

Interstate commuters might believe survival.

I get sick of trucks throwing on their turn signal and cutting people off so they can do another half a mph faster than the truck they'll take the next two miles to pass. If they ever offer Hellfire missiles as an option, I'm in. grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by bhemry
Unfortunately most of the big carriers have cut their fleets back to the low 60's (mph) 5+ years ago. Saves fuel, supposedly. Pisses off the public when you're in the way. Not to mention most of the drivers of said trucks.

The big carriers are the entire problem with the trucking industry today

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The guys proposing these rules have obviously never driven across the country. They probably think an hours drive is a long one. Let them get bottled up behind a couple of trucks playing hopscotch on the interstate and see how frustrating it is. Truckers seem to have self regulated as it is. It's pretty rare when I'm doing 80 or 85 on the interstate and a truck passes me. Heck, with the posted limits at 80 and 85 I don't even go 5 over anymore.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
bastad trucks should never be allowed to get in the passing lane ! it is made to pass not drive for 30 miles with 50+ cars backed up behind!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I imagine it won't be long before most trucks are unmanned.

Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I imagine it won't be long before most trucks are unmanned.

Poor truck drivers. Hope the surgery goes well.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cars would not be far behind...pun intended...
They would make more revenue if they would just record your speed and send your tickets to your car computer...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Just another step into taking away freedom. You watch, the self driving cars will transition into, cars that can only be self driven. And in 50 years time (probably sooner), you won't be allowed to drive a car anymore.

Saw a story on TV about Ford saying they expect to bring full (level 5) autonomous driving to the market in 5 years. The technology is advancing rapidly now that lots of high tech, high buck companies are behind it. When perfected it's expected to be much safer than human drivers, so at some point you'll have to pay a high premium (insurance and maybe advanced driver's training) to be allowed to have a vehicular that can be manually driven. Over the road trucks won't need drivers, but may carry a mechanic on some routes to chain-up, clean sensor lenses, etc.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RickyD
Interstate commuters might believe survival.

I get sick of trucks throwing on their turn signal and cutting people off so they can do another half a mph faster than the truck they'll take the next two miles to pass. If they ever offer Hellfire missiles as an option, I'm in. grin

I drove heavy haul, 105,500 GVW. I don't remember passing any truck on a hill. wink

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickyD

You understand, of course, that speed limiting devices are exactly why the situation you are sick of exists.

Or do you?

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

I was driving at 75 mph on I-25 (Colorado) yesterday {speed limit = 75] and was closely followed by a semi that wanted to go faster. I just tapped my brakes (to activate brake lights) and he backed off, pulled around and cut me off. so much for courteousness and obeying the law.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
They are already on all the trucks if they have a computer controlled engine. All I have to do is hook up my laptop to the truck and open options up and set the max speed to what ever the owner wants the top speed to be. Takes me less than 10 minutes.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by djs
...I just tapped my brakes (to activate brake lights) and he backed off, pulled around and cut me off. so much for courteousness and obeying the law.

Brake checking is illegal and discourteous.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just keep them the fug out of the passing lane.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My neighbor is a mechanic for a Sysco fleet and they took their limiters off.

Near the warehouse, and the primary entrance to I95 towards DC, is a left entrance onto the highway. With governors at 55 they were trying to merge into 80+ mile an hour traffic at all hours. Apparently the state police came by and discussed and then they discussed with the drivers union and then Sysco had a chat with their insurance company and the governors are gone.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by djs
...I just tapped my brakes (to activate brake lights) and he backed off, pulled around and cut me off. so much for courteousness and obeying the law.

Brake checking is illegal and discourteous.

I flip my lights on and off to get that effect.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Setting differential speeds is a major cause of accidents. Nothing like a little 4 wheeler slamming into the back of a truck they "didn't see".

My trucks are actually governed at 66 on the cruise. They also get 5 minutes on the pedal up to 80 mph, and unlimited time up to 69. If they need the speed to merge, pass, whatever, they can do it. Lots of neat options inside the ECM of modern engines.

I don't need a driver to decide to do 80 MPH across the desert in 100 degree heat and a full load, and see how many road gators he can create.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Hillary also wants to bring back the double nickle.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pugs and Dutch, very interesting.

Last edited by SamOlson; 08/26/16.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My Dad is of the board of directors of one of the larger freight companies and he is expecting them to go to driverless trucks at some point. They are really struggling to find drivers, and the average age of their drivers continue to climb, with no relief on sight.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Agreed, Diesel dummies trying to control the speed of traffic by getting side by side and driving 5 miles below the speed limit for miles on end, fug them and their mothers , wives and daughters

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12

The big carriers are the entire problem with the trucking industry today

Clearly you aren't familiar with the small gypo outfits that run Chip Trucks with minimum wage drivers around these parts..... eek

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by blanket
Agreed, Diesel dummies trying to control the speed of traffic by getting side by side and driving 5 miles below the speed limit for miles on end, fug them and their mothers , wives and daughters

What's so wrong with driving the speed limit in the left lane?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
not the limit you dipshit but below as some do side by side

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

We call that a "slug race"....fortunately ID has a law against holding up five or more vehicles and the ISP's pretty good about enforcing it....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There are professional driver on the road today that do a great job. The work hard, they work long hours, and they do it by the books. I did it for around six and a half years with no moving violations and no accidents.

Many a time I was doing the speed limit on cruse only to have a car pass me, cut back so close I could not see the tail lights from a slant hood Freightliner, and put on their brakes hard. The often slowed down to five or ten miles below the speed limit. I have had to break so hard I shifted 7,000 pound plus roles of paper to the front of the trailer and had to turn around and go back to the mill to be reloaded to be legal risking my ass to keep from killing some idiot. Just a hint, if you see a truck with 26 to 28 tires on the ground it might just be heavy and even a 80,000 pound rig cannot stop on a dime.

That said I will be the first to admit there are CDL drivers on the road who should not be allowed to ride a rocking horse.

To expect a truck to maintain 80 mph speeds in mountain country means you don't have the IQ to pas the test to be a bowling ball.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Apparently you dads condom was bigger than your personality!

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by MissouriEd

You must be one of those guys that get side by side and drop 10 miles an hour up every hill just because you can

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Apparently you dads condom was bigger than your personality!
and dads rubber was bigger than what run down on your mother

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Scott F
There are professional driver on the road today that do a great job. The work hard, they work long hours, and they do it by the books. I did it for around six and a half years with no moving violations and no accidents.

Many a time I was doing the speed limit on cruse only to have a car pass me, cut back so close I could not see the tail lights from a slant hood Freightliner, and put on their brakes hard. The often slowed down to five or ten miles below the speed limit. I have had to break so hard I shifted 7,000 pound plus roles of paper to the front of the trailer and had to turn around and go back to the mill to be reloaded to be legal risking my ass to keep from killing some idiot. Just a hint, if you see a truck with 26 to 28 tires on the ground it might just be heavy and even a 80,000 pound rig cannot stop on a dime.

That said I will be the first to admit there are CDL drivers on the road who should not be allowed to ride a rocking horse.

To expect a truck to maintain 80 mph speeds in mountain country means you don't have the IQ to pas the test to be a bowling ball.
Scott understand mountains and heavy loads, we have dik weed drivers going thru Flatlands like Ill, Ia, NB, SD that side by side slow down for miles on end.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
In that case the belong to this part of my post.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
you would not believe the crap you see here in Iowa on the road from truckers, they must be from missouri

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My company has 700 trucks, we are governed at 65 mph.
I don't like it, damn I would love to be able to go 70.

Still I pass a lot of trucks. Swift has 14,000 trucks and they are governed at 62.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Swift has 14,000 trucks and they are governed at 62.

Swift drivers need training wheels. I started with swift but the canned me when they found out I could back up. wink

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
and most Swift trucks will ride the left lane for ever

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
and most Swift trucks will ride the left lane for ever

Once again.

grin

BTW do you know there are places in CA where you can shell out the $$$ and walk away with a CDL without ever taking a test or even knowing English?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You know I get it a couple of years ago I contracted a bunch of trucks to haul equipment from Penn to Iowa. There were 50 plus loads and we set up JLG's to tarp and crews to chain down. I contract several loads as a buyer every month, but another part of my job is to go from point A to B and get fed up with the BS on the road

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know you get it just as I do. There is no excuse for bad manors on the rod or anywhere else for that mater.

As stated above in someone's post it is getting a lot harder to find good drivers. I don't have a solution to the problem. It is a tough job and the money is getting poorer and poorer leaving bad drivers who can do nothing else. Seventy hour weeks and almost no home time make the good guys find other work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was driving at 75 mph on I-25 (Colorado) yesterday {speed limit = 75] and was closely followed by a semi that wanted to go faster. I just tapped my brakes (to activate brake lights) and he backed off, pulled around and cut me off. so much for courteousness and obeying the law.

I am wondering why you did not just pull into another lane and let him go. It is what I do unless I am behind something where I can't go faster, then we both have to wait. If nobody in front of me, I pull over and would like others to do the same. miels

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What is wrong with getting out of other peoples way? miles

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am going to weigh in on this as we have heavy vehicle speed limiting to 100 kph for singles and b-doubles, and 90 kph for Road Trains...and I hold an Australian MC and have driven line-haul.

Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
My Dad is of the board of directors of one of the larger freight companies and he is expecting them to go to driverless trucks at some point. They are really struggling to find drivers, and the average age of their drivers continue to climb, with no relief on sight.

That will be because drivers are sick to death of being screwed over by the company they drive for, the arseholes loading, and the coppers that are out to shaft them every chance they get.

Like here there are undoubtedly a lot of very good drivers that most definitely are professional in their outlook and approach...there will also be a mass of absolute clowns that shouldn't be anywhere near a matchbox toy car on any given day of the week, you know them as they stand out like dogs balls every time you go for a drive, they are the ones the driving public notices.
And I am betting you have been hit by an influx of filth from india and every other cesspool around the globe that fancies themselves as Jesus on wheels, and I am also betting the bastards are getting away with murder as they do not understand English, can't fill in a log book...and are being used by the companies to screw local drivers out of a job, the same companies that are whinging about a lack of screwable drivers so they need to import more low filth from fukcrapistan.

And last but not least...I cannot wait to see how something created by some techy halfwit at microsoft goes about pulling into a property and loading up a mob of cattle, probably about as well it goes avoiding a mob of stock wandering over the road.

This isn't about safety, it is about companies screwing every last cent out of the game...and not paying.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

And as for the speed limiting...it works here.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

It's your Dad's company that's the problem not the drivers. Companies that treat drivers like human beings and pay decent have all the drivers they need. Of course those companies are rare these days as is decent paying freight to support those companies. The driverless trucks are coming fast and they will be a disaster for the economy of flyover America but Washington doesn't care about what flyover thinks.
Swift = Sure Wish I'd Finished Training

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by milespatton

Then he wouldn't get to play the grumpy speed nazi and keep everyone in their place.

99% of this crap could be avoided if people would just exercise some common courtesy and stay out of the left lane unless passing. Unfortunately common courtesy is in very short supply today.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The only way driverless trucks will become reality is to take the interaction with cars out of the equation on the highways. A computer and sensor is no match for a idiot behind the wheel of a car.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Why should safe drivers have too? They are not under any obligation to exceed the speed limit.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho's speed limit on freeways is 80. For trucks it's 70. Many trucks can't do 70 because of governors. So, we have cars going 80, trucks going between 60 and 70, and RV's going somewhere in between. Traffic jams have become the norm.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Why should safe drivers have too? They are not under any obligation to exceed the speed limit.

You don't have to exceed the speed limit to move over into the right lane.

Besides, it's an obnoxious passive aggressive behavior that causes road rage and increases the chances for an accident. It's not your place to police the speed of others by blocking them with your car. It's pretty simple: Don't be an a$$hole.

It's also illegal in many states to block the left lane even if you are doing the speed limit. I wish it was enforced more vigorously.

Here's an article describing Indiana's new law:

Left lane hog law

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

I am wondering why you did not just pull into another lane and let him go. It is what I do unless I am behind something where I can't go faster, then we both have to wait. If nobody in front of me, I pull over and would like others to do the same. miels

He explained it in the last sentence. He's discourteous and doesn't obey the law.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I just try to stay off any freeways unless there's no other choice.. I-94 is a half-mile away, but I take the back roads instead when going east/west.. It seems every other time I do use it there's a crash ahead or some vehicle on fire and traffic's backed up for miles..

And ya can't get OFF those things once yer on... I'll pass..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why should safe drivers have too?

What is safe about being in the way and pizzing people off?

You obviously don't have to, but courtesy should dictate that you do. miles

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
While Idaho doesn't have a specific right lane law, there are signs that tell slower traffic to keep right. However, with the great variation of speeds we have, you can often be going the speed limit in the left lane and the only way to move right is to slow down 10 mph.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Safe drivers don't ride in the passing lane, they travel in the travel lane and pass on the left.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got hosed in traffic last week when some dummy turned his fuel tanker upside down on I5.

Shut down the interstate in both directions for a while.

In addition to speed limiting, I'd like to see trucks relegated to certain lanes.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They are. In three and four lane roads there should be no trucks in the left land in WA.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Oh God, one of those.... Didn't you go to driving school?

The Left Lane, AKA PASSING LANE is just for that, PASSING. If you see someone behind you, for chrissakes MOVE OVER and whatever you do, PLEASE don't "join up" with the other slow driver on the right lane.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Yes you are, Ace. The left lane is the PASSING LANE. On a three lane road, the left lane continues to be the passing lane, the center lane is the transit lane (for you moderates) and the right lane is for women and geezers.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lot of folks should just hang up their driving.

They can't stand to be with any other folks on the road. grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Pat85

Safe drivers don't ride in the passing lane, they travel in the travel lane and pass on the left.

Really! Safe drivers don't think they own the road and can constantly exceed the speed limit.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Yes you are, Ace. The left lane is the PASSING LANE. On a three lane road, the left lane continues to be the passing lane, the center lane is the transit lane (for you moderates) and the right lane is for women and geezers.

Speed limit applies to all lane, Ace.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by pal
More federal meddling.

^^^He's exactly right^^^

We're we supposed to have a 10th Amendment? Didn't the states give the right for the federal government to exist? Weren't we supposed to have a decentralized government with a limited federal government? Weren't we supposed to have maximum individual liberty?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can see where this is going. GPS units will monitor speeds of certain vehicles for safety purposes only. When equipped vehicles exceed safe speeds, drivers will receive computer generated citations for violations. This will work out so well, that every vehicle driven upon any road/freeway in the USA will be required to be equipped with GPS monitoring units. Just think of all of that money that will be fleeced from Americans. And of course, it'll be for safety purposes only. We gotta think of the children.

Yeah, right!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Speed limit applies to all lane, Ace.

No it does not. But nice dodge to my statement out of staying out of the left lane. Aside from COMMON F U C K I N G courtesy, it is a SAFER MOVE to MOVE OVER instead of creating a hazard by blocking traffic.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
When two lanes are going the same direction you can pass in either lane. Just sayin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Passing on the right is generally frowned upon.

If your holding up traffic, just move the fugg over. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are. In three and four lane roads there should be no trucks in the left land in WA.

I was thinking more like a truck only lane on the right. Kinda a hov for trucks they aren't allowed to operate out of.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SakoAV
I can see where this is going. GPS units will monitor speeds of certain vehicles for safety purposes only. When equipped vehicles exceed safe speeds, drivers will receive computer generated citations for violations. This will work out so well, that every vehicle driven upon any road/freeway in the USA will be required to be equipped with GPS monitoring units. Just think of all of that money that will be fleeced from Americans. And of course, it'll be for safety purposes only. We gotta think of the children.

Yeah, right!

You are so far behind the times. Most companies know where a truck is at any given moment, speed, RPMs and a stack of other data. Go to fast and you are out the door.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Yeah, right!

You are so far behind the times. Most companies know where a truck is at any given moment, speed, RPMs and a stack of other data. Go to fast and you are out the door.

Scott,

No, I'm not behind anything. I know that GPS units have been in use for decades, which is how delivery companies track our packages. But that's not the topic of this thread. The topic is GOVERNMENTAL intervention.

Why would you suppose the feds want a speed monitoring device installed on commercial vehicles? Do you think that this is a slippery slope, that government can incrementally require all vehicles to be equipped with such devices? And from there, what will it do with information it collects from Joe speeding to work on the freeway? Can you envision Joe receiving a computer generated cite? Can you envision how government can use such devices to generate a whole of revenue that it'll fleece from the everyday, average Joes and Josephines of the country?

Oh yeah, don't forget that government can exert greater control over us by requiring every car sold in America to be equipped with a monitoring device.

From there, where does it go? Will government requiring tracking devices on our debit cards? That we'll be unable to disable tracking devices on our cell phones?

Seems as though only women have an expectation of privacy when they want to rid themselves of the burden of pregnancy.

There are two ways to enact public policy: rational comprehensive or incrementally. With the former, government bands and confiscates guns in one action. In the latter, government constricts the population of gun owners until no one is deemed safe to own guns.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Everything.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This was all just a matter of time anyway.

Every dumb fugk and their brother thinks using a phone and driving is an impossibility. They also think seat belts should be mandatory and motorcycles should be legal.

There's no logic in anything any more. It's all feel good idiotic BS.

Breathalyzers in every vehicle will be next.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In Idaho, the freeway limit is 80 and that applies to all lanes. If you're doing 80 in the left lane and someone wants to pass, you usually have to slow down to 70 or so to move right. Since you're already going the speed limit and passing cars & trucks doing it, I see no reason to slow down so someone can break the law. If I can do it without slowing down, then I'll move over.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Yeah, right!

Scott,

No, I'm not behind anything. I know that GPS units have been in use for decades, which is how delivery companies track our packages. But that's not the topic of this thread. The topic is GOVERNMENTAL intervention.

Why would you suppose the feds want a speed monitoring device installed on commercial vehicles? Do you think that this is a slippery slope, that government can incrementally require all vehicles to be equipped with such devices? And from there, what will it do with information it collects from Joe speeding to work on the freeway? Can you envision Joe receiving a computer generated cite? Can you envision how government can use such devices to generate a whole of revenue that it'll fleece from the everyday, average Joes and Josephines of the country?

Oh yeah, don't forget that government can exert greater control over us by requiring every car sold in America to be equipped with a monitoring device.

From there, where does it go? Will government requiring tracking devices on our debit cards? That we'll be unable to disable tracking devices on our cell phones?

Seems as though only women have an expectation of privacy when they want to rid themselves of the burden of pregnancy.

There are two ways to enact public policy: rational comprehensive or incrementally. With the former, government bands and confiscates guns in one action. In the latter, government constricts the population of gun owners until no one is deemed safe to own guns.

The Government already is in the loop. Trucking companys get two inspections a year where they can look at any of the data collected and match it the drivers log book. It has been going on for years.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
In Idaho, the freeway limit is 80 and that applies to all lanes. If you're doing 80 in the left lane and someone wants to pass, you usually have to slow down to 70 or so to move right. Since you're already going the speed limit and passing cars & trucks doing it, I see no reason to slow down so someone can break the law. If I can do it without slowing down, then I'll move over.

Amen Cousin, thank you.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
When two lanes are going the same direction you can pass in either lane. Just sayin.

I'm not a big fan of doing things the wrong way.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Under a 'flave administration, you'd be pitted. And executed.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Amen Cousin, thank you.

Back of the head. BANG!

Dave

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...If you're doing 80 in the left lane and someone wants to pass, you usually have to slow down to 70 or so to move right...

Come on!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

The question is why are you driving in the left lane then? I believe the law in MT is to travel in the right hand lane unless passing or turning. Though I've never heard of anyone actually getting ticketed for it. I wish they would enforce it though. You also are permitted to go 10 over in order to pass.

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I drove down the centerline pretty much the first 120 miles of the parts run to Miles City this morning.

Record time...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Actually we weren't in a hurry(in the right lane...) but when wife fell asleep the Explorer momentarily hit triple digits. Not another vehicle on the highway for miles......

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Careful RezDawg, I've read on here that you are NOT permitted to travel over the posted limit! And by Gawd they'll block all lanes of traffic to ensure it!

MAGA
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Careful RezDawg, I've read on here that you are NOT permitted to travel over the posted limit! And by Gawd they'll block all lanes of traffic to ensure it!

Perhaps for a while.

At some point though I suspect a decent Ukrainian/Ruski/KGB team would plow an opening.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was more worried about a tire blowing.

Cruising about 90, slow down to 74.

Wife asked, "Why'd you slow done?"

We're doing 74....

She replies, "Well it seems like we are going slow"....

Can you say smooth operator?!

Last edited by SamOlson; 08/27/16.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
And around here you will have 2 trucks side by side going below the speed limit for miles on end, across Iowa, Illinois, Tennessee, Missouri, Indiana, and Kentucky.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I see a lot of people on here need to drive a truck some , and they will drive their car/pickup different. And there are a few here I'd probably just blow their stupid head off if they cam across with the attuide they do here

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I was more worried about a tire blowing.

Cruising about 90, slow down to 74.

Wife asked, "Why'd you slow done?"

We're doing 74....

She replies, "Well it seems like we are going slow"....

Can you say smooth operator?!

There's smooth....then there is Rez Buck smooth.
She should just feel lucky you didn't knock her up while she was mesmerized.

Bam!!
What happened?!?
Your pregnant....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
I see a lot of people on here need to drive a truck some , and they will drive their car/pickup different. And there are a few here I'd probably just blow their stupid head off if they cam across with the attuide they do here

Blowin' Heads!!! Lol.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
laughing

On the drive back I asked her, "Remember that time you gave me road head?"

She sarcastically replied, "I was stoned".

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Crude joke for the truckers...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
edited to not sound like an azzhole. smile

Last edited by BillyGoatGruff; 08/27/16.

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
edited to not sound like an azzhole. smile

Gotta watch how you cam across.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have a sales territory that requires about 1,000 miles a week to manage, so I'm on on the road a good bit. I love it when I consistently help the truck drivers on the road, only to have one pull out in front of me, unnecessarily, a few miles from home. Pos will slow roll at about 20 under the speed limit for the next few miles. Makes me regret the courtesy that I extended to them earlier in the day. Nonetheless, I help them when I can.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Those here who have never spent time in the driver's seat of a semi have no clue.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"I got ten forward gears, and a Georgia overdrive
I eat them little white pills, and my eyes are open wide
But nothing bothers me tonight
I can dodge all the scales allright
Six days on the road, and I'm a gonna make it home tonight"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I think the right thing to do is make all trucks illegal. That was those scum of the earth truck drivers won't bother anyone any more.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think the right thing to do is make all trucks illegal. That was those scum of the earth truck drivers won't bother anyone any more.

Don't be cunnty.

Clark

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave

Don't be cunnty.

Clark

But is it so much fun. grin

I have said it before, there are CDL drivers out there that should not be driving anything but expecting a semi to hit the freeway at 70 is just stupid. So is expecting one to stop on a dime.

Seems like a few here would rather there were no trucks on the road so they would be free to drive any way they want.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The question is why are you driving in the left lane then? I believe the law in MT is to travel in the right hand lane unless passing or turning. Though I've never heard of anyone actually getting ticketed for it. I wish they would enforce it though. You also are permitted to go 10 over in order to pass.
Read my post. You think you're allowed 10 over to pass? I have a ticket to prove otherwise. I was going 5 over while passing and got tagged.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Take cars off the interstate highway system, you would see a drastic reduction in truck accidents. Several on this site shouldn't be allowed anywhere near commercial class 8 veichle with a car at highway speeds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your holding up traffic, just move the fugg over. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Most people that do this schitt, also want to impose their moral on you too. They think they are right in all things. Been around a bunch of them in my life. Then you have the ones that set the cruise control and forget about everything around them. miles

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pat85

Take cars off the interstate highway system, you would see a drastic reduction in truck accidents. Several on this site shouldn't be allowed anywhere near commercial class 8 veichle with a car at highway speeds.

From my experience the biggest single problem for truck drivers is car drivers that think trucks are just big cars.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Read my post. You think you're allowed 10 over to pass? I have a ticket to prove otherwise. I was going 5 over while passing and got tagged.

You're fugking homo.

Get your slow ass out of the left lane.

Dave

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
if i had someone in my car who needed medical attention and some ass hole wouldn't pull over to let me pass, they would have all kinds of problems.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Most people that do this schitt, also want to impose their moral on you too. They think they are right in all things. Been around a bunch of them in my life. Then you have the ones that set the cruise control and forget about everything around them. miles

That would be me. Set the cruse on the speedlimit or a little under and stay in the right or middle lane. Pass slower traffic on the left and move back over when safe.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Apologies Rock Chuck. Some nights I really should not post. smile

As to the 10 over I was speaking strictly to MT. I did not read the law,but have been told this by MHP troopers who would give their dying mother a speeding ticket.

MAGA
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by stxhunter
if i had someone in my car who needed medical attention and some ass hole wouldn't pull over to let me pass, they would have all kinds of problems.

Just wonder how many on this site would also advocate firearm violence against any drivers who obey the law?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm a big fan of road rage.

Dave

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a big fan of road rage.

Dave

Ed's a big fan of creating it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Had a good looking blonde give me a finger flip one time. I could a went into a rage over her.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm not going to read the whole thread, but aren't most of the trucks for major carriers governored anyway? It really sucks to get caught for five miles as a truck governored at 62 makes a one mph pass on another guy.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Ontario has a law requiring the use of speed limiting devices on certain CMVs, basically ones built after 1995 with a GVW of 24,000 lbs or above. They must be equipped with a device that limits their speed to 105 kmph (65 mph.) On our roads during our eight months of tough sledding that's likely enough as witnessed by the vast number of commercial ditch torpedoes.

Most of the local log trucks self limited years ago to 60 mph or a little less claiming sizeable savings in fuel. $60 per day, 250 days a year, 6-8 trucks on the road. It adds up, but they did it on their own before government regulation.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Just wonder how many on this site would also advocate firearm violence against any drivers who obey the law?

I would. Every truck driver should be shot in the groin and left beside the road with his piss jug in hand.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I would go along with this IF they required trucks and buses to stay in the right lane only, or if 3-4 lanes, right two lanes only.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
I would go along with this IF they required trucks and buses to stay in the right lane only, or if 3-4 lanes, right two lanes only.

I do not know of ant state that does not.

Edited to add
Except for places line Connecticut that have a bunch of left lane exits.

Last edited by Scott F; 08/28/16.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was wondering if State Troopers will write a ticket to a driver that holds up traffic while trying to pass another truck? I40 between Nashville and Little Rock is a nightmare because of all the truck traffic .

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Truckers can't make money if they can't speed

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Had a good looking blonde give me a finger flip one time. I could a went into a rage over her.

You drive so bad you piss women drivers off?

Impressive.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I don't care who you are, that's funny. I just upped the HP and torque on our heavy haul tractor to try to keep up with traffic a little better.

Came up on I84 last year, and some idjit had hit the back of a 105,000K milk tanker pulling the long hill between Glens Ferry and Mountain Home. Hit the rear tag axle so hard they tore it off. Remains of the pickup scattered to hell and back.

Some people should not be allowed to push a gas pedal under any circumstances.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Truckers can't make money if they can't speed

Truckers can't make money now mater what they do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Load heavy and drive fast. Tonnage first, safety last. miles

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Load heavy and drive fast. Tonnage first, safety last. miles

I have done a lot of the first part. Seldom pulled out with a gross weight under 100,000 lbs but crossing three major passes without killing anyone pretty much ruled out the last two. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If people drove Autobahn rules, the freeways would be safer. Lead, follow or GTF out of the way, for God's sake!
I always flash trucks when needed, give them room, never do the dive and turn, always always signal and acknowledge.
And they notice.
I've had long drives where the truckers are apparently talking about me, friendly flashes and quick pull-overs. Amazing what some overt courtesy and road awareness will get you.
One night back east, I even got the flashity flash, tucked right in and there were the cops.....don't know if it was the Montana plates or what, but the big rigs were watching out for us, this was I think in Kentucky. Couple miles later the running lights blinked again and away we went.
Then, of course, there is the Magnet @$$ game, especially in Washington State. Come up on a gaggle and you'll always skin off several as you pass.
So, what happens when you move back over to the right lane?
And then slow down? Yep. Magnet @$$.

And by the way, governors stink and are dangerous. There should be a limited override to allow going faster for two miles or so to allow a run on a hill or to complete a pass in good time. But THAT would make sense.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A few of my favorite people on Earth are truckers...

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Driving like a grandma in the passing lane is akin to standing in the entrance of the grocery store and catching up with a long lost friend.

Face that way. On your knees. BANG!

Vote 'flave.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have pulled a few older friends aside at the entrance of various buildings....

I forget you city people drive a lot of fancy interstate roads.

My favorites truckers are 99% two lane highway and gravel and they sure as hell don't have a stinking governor!

And when you meet a loaded one on a gravel road, slow down and pull your ass over to the side.
Let 'em have the middle if the shoulders are soft. We don't need to flop a load of cows!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Driving like a grandma in the passing lane is akin to standing in the entrance of the grocery store and catching up with a long lost friend.

Vote 'flave.

Or telling the cashier all about little Jimmy going off to college and how your uterus fell out long after she handed you the receipt.

Stores ought to hire some poor disabled kids to go stand in the corners and and let old people talk to them.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
There should be a limited override to allow going faster for two miles or so to allow a run on a hill or to complete a pass in good time. But THAT would make sense.

Two miles wouldn't help at all on any of the passes I used daily.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Vote 'flave.

Or telling the cashier all about little Jimmy going off to college and how your uterus fell out long after she handed you the receipt.

Stores ought to hire some poor disabled kids to go stand in the corners and and let old people talk to them.

On your knees. BANG!

Dave

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by djs

If there was room for the semi to pass you on the right, why the [bleep] didn't you move to the right in the first place and let him pass? Most states have laws against driving in the left lane and blocking faster traffic. Even if Colorado does not have such a law, what YOU were doing is dangerous and discourteous.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, and it anyone wonders why all the trucks are in the middle lane of a three lane freeway.... it's because less than one out of ten four wheelers understand the concept of merging on or off on a ramp.

I've completely given up on the whole concept, and park my 90,000 lbs square in the middle lane. That way Miss blue-hair, Mr. Old Man-in-Hat or teeny-bopper can't-wait-to-put-this-on-Facebook can slam onto the freeway at a frightening 45 mph and get up to speed when they get comfortable.

Don't like it? Have the cops start writing tickets...

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I always loved it when they would come down the ramp and drive on the shoulder for a quarter of a mile to get in front of me. Then they would cut right in front of me and slow down. Usually happens at least once a day.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by SamOlson

My favorites truckers are 99% two lane highway and gravel and they sure as hell don't have a stinking governor!

Cattle haulers are hard to keep up with on the interstates out there.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Oh God, one of those.... Didn't you go to driving school?

The Left Lane, AKA PASSING LANE is just for that, PASSING. If you see someone behind you, for chrissakes MOVE OVER and whatever you do, PLEASE don't "join up" with the other slow driver on the right lane.
LMAO.. Obviously the entire 7-county metro area of the Twin Cities never went to driving school.. Left lane hoggers to the MAX..

The topper was this: About 5-6 years ago I was driving on I-35 in the area where the speed limit is 45 mph.. Ahead of me was a signed "Driver's Ed" car with two people in it.. And IT WAS IN THE LEFT LANE AND DID NOT MOVE OVER!!!!

In the Twin Cities - if ya wanna pass someone - ya use the RH lane, 'cause the LH lanes are stuffed with a-holes that will NOT move over...

Rant over..

Amen Cousin, thank you.

Back of the head. BANG!

Dave
ROTFLMAO... I hear ya, my friend - I hear ya..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by savage24
If there was room for the semi to pass you on the right, why the [bleep] didn't you move to the right in the first place and let him pass? Most states have laws against driving in the left lane and blocking faster traffic. Even if Colorado does not have such a law, what YOU were doing is dangerous and discourteous.

Because he's a fugking ass hole that doesn't know how to drive.

That's why.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Redneck

LMAO.. Obviously the entire 7-county metro area of the Twin Cities never went to driving school.. Left lane hoggers to the MAX..

When we drive to Poland (AKA Minnesoduh) you can literally fly the entire way.

Blinker, left lane, zoooom.

Until you get east of Fargo. It's like some sort of invisible barrier of stupidity. The second you cross that border cars start hanging out in the left lane and the roads turn to dog schit.

Dave

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Redneck

When we drive to Poland (AKA Minnesoduh) you can literally fly the entire way.

Blinker, left lane, zoooom.

Until you get east of Fargo. It's like some sort of invisible barrier of stupidity. The second you cross that border cars start hanging out in the left lane and the roads turn to dog schit.
And that's in the summer.. Just WAIT until winter... MN has literally NO CLUE how to clear a highway..

But I digress - sorry.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

For once I'm for this regulation. Where we live (So. Texas) there are literally 1000's of tanker trucks (Eagle Ford) and NAFTA rigs blowing down the roads at 80-85 mph. Not to mention most of our roads are 2 lane- crazy amounts of fatality accidents in our area.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 30incher

The agency said it will weigh setting speed limits at 60, 65 or 68 miles per hour for heavy commercial vehicles, but will consider other speeds based on comments from the public. Speed limits on interstate highways vary across the United States, with some states allowing vehicles to drive as fast as 85 miles (137 km) per hour, though many states have lower maximum speeds for trucks. BBBuTT they are all pro drivers

For once I'm for this regulation. Where we live (So. Texas) there are literally 1000's of tanker trucks (Eagle Ford) and NAFTA rigs blowing down the roads at 80-85 mph. Not to mention most of our roads are 2 lane- crazy amounts of fatality accidents in our area.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
ones that bitch about "trucks" the most are the same ones that blow through work zones at 20+ over posted speeds cause they didn't see nothing

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by ldholton
ones that bitch about "trucks" the most are the same ones that blow through work zones at 20+ over posted speeds cause they didn't see nothing
BS more trucks blast up in the merging lanes into work zones than cars that I have seen.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I sure an glad I am retired. It is obvious I am not smart enough to know how to drive a truck. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scott, when I mean "pass" I mean two commercial trucks at different speeds PASSING with happy running lights blinking rather than having an effing "governor race." Seen a few of those, you'd think the guy being passed could take TWO MPH off his dial-o-matic and help out, mmmmm?

And being able to run up a hill means you can tip over the top without going all the way to the bottom of the gearbox. In a younger time, I drove wheat, that was a study in momentum management, you betcha. I'd start grabbing gears way before I started any climb -- if it was safe to try it. Going down? All air brakes are good for is parking.

As for DJS, you don't get a medal or gold star for matching the number on your speedo to the one on the sign, okay? If there's room, move the heck over.

Being from Montana, when I go out of state, I'm repeatedly stunned by the vast number of "drivers" who have never, ever actually "driven the road" and adjusted their speed for CONDITIONS. They slavishly stick to the "speed limit plus 3" or whatever the heck their formula is -- and when CONDITIONS go south, they wonder why they're in an 80 car pileup?

Gosh, I miss Montana's basic rule.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As a heavy haul driver I was always the truck in the right lane going up hills, down hills, and on the flats. I really cannot remember passing another truck and if I did come up on a slower truck I am plenty old enough to understand one or two miles per hour slower will not cause me to have a stroke.

I cannot speak for nor will I in any way defend other CDL drivers. As I have stated many times there are drivers out there who should not be allowed to walk let alone drive. Consider there are places in CA where an non English speaking illegal can walk in, pot down the cash, and walk out with a CDL in hand without ever having taken a test or driven anything at all.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 21 invisible), 1,786 guests, and 961 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.