Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Same kind of crap often happens with custom knife makers. It's mostly a one man show. They take money in advance ,then when any life crisis happens they have spent the money and are not able to do the work. Most of the time they stay afloat a while robbing Peter to do Paul's work, but it eventually catches up to them and then they get too ashamed to answer the calls. It's really a shame and communication with honest would always help matters.

I disagree, just as I disagree that it's something that happens with taxidermists too.

The people that it DOES happen to are people with LOW MORAL CHARACTER, regardless of profession.

I don't really know what you are disagreeing about. I didn't mean my post as an excuse. Yes, low moral character is certainly a major contributor.

It has NOTHING to do with the profession and EVERYTHING to do with the individual.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Same kind of crap often happens with custom knife makers. It's mostly a one man show. They take money in advance ,then when any life crisis happens they have spent the money and are not able to do the work. Most of the time they stay afloat a while robbing Peter to do Paul's work, but it eventually catches up to them and then they get too ashamed to answer the calls. It's really a shame and communication with honest would always help matters.

I disagree, just as I disagree that it's something that happens with taxidermists too.

The people that it DOES happen to are people with LOW MORAL CHARACTER, regardless of profession.

Exactly....

I don't really know what you are disagreeing about. I didn't mean my post as an excuse. Yes, low moral character is certainly a major contributor.

It has NOTHING to do with the profession and EVERYTHING to do with the individual.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I had a very similar problem with a gunsmith I had became aware of on the benchrest central forum. He kept my rifle for more than 2 years. I finally had enough of what seemed like "alcoholic excuses". I asked him to return all of my parts immediately and then let him talk me into another two days because he was almost done. Well, when I got the rifle he had left the 3" barrel shank that I had written to be trimmed to
1 1/2" and it had a mirror finish barrel that I had written to be bead blasted.
I didn't send it back because I didn't want another 2 year delay.

Guys, when this crap happens you will probably be more satisfied to have another smith complete the work.

747 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Stray Dog thanks for sharing your experience with me. It's unfortunate but seems to occur regularly. I have learned a lot from all the feedback. This is just my opinion but I will only use a smith within reasonable driving distance from now on.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Or use Kampfeld customs.
He's honest.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Talked to him 2 weeks ago (Kampfeld). Was more work than he had time to do and was honest about it. Much rather that than be B.S.'d and wait years. Had it happen before...told 6 weeks tops and 10 mos. later had a subpar overpriced semi-custom that shoots a hell of alot better than it looks, (which is better than looks better than it shoots.) and an overly proud Smith trying to convince me/himself of what a great job he'd done.

S
S
I see I'm not the only one who has given money to this scoundrel and not heard a word from him. I sent money back in February and have not been able to contact him since. It's hard to believe people have been putting up with this for two and three years, this is totally unacceptable behavior from any respectable person or business. I really thought something happened to the guy and we tracked him down through a family member, only to find out he is just fine.My next move is a certified letter, and then court if no response. I will spend what it takes to get justice and make others aware of his practices.

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by Sam427
I see I'm not the only one who has given money to this scoundrel and not heard a word from him. I sent money back in February and have not been able to contact him since. It's hard to believe people have been putting up with this for two and three years, this is totally unacceptable behavior from any respectable person or business. I really thought something happened to the guy and we tracked him down through a family member, only to find out he is just fine.My next move is a certified letter, and then court if no response. I will spend what it takes to get justice and make others aware of his practices.

And the story goes on...........

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
He answered the phone personally when I called him over a year ago. He was seemingly honest about his lead times and I decided it was too long for me to wait. I asked if he could suggest someone that he thought worked to the same level of detail and skill that he did. Mathew Stewart has now plumbed 3 rifles for me and they all have far exceeded my expectations. I now worry about Matt becoming so busy that I'll find the wait too long. I know this doesn't put parts back in the hands of those waiting on Gradous but I guess I'm saying I lucked out and that there are other ways. Mark at SAC is another top shelf guy fwiw...

S
S
Oh, he was quick to respond and answer emails when I was looking for someone to do the rifle, but as soon as he got the money he cut off all communication.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
All you guys are much more patient professional gentlemen than I can ever hope to be!

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hilarious thread..... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
747 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
BobinNH if you think the original point of this post is hilarious you have a weird sense of humor IMO!!

G
G
To all of my friends and customers. My sincerest apologies for the confusion and delays. The delays were caused by a large expansion to the shop that now houses new cnc equipment and all ancillary equipment necessary for the job at hand.
The procurement of equipment, tooling, three phase power, transformers and construction took much longer than expected.
After working on guns for 21 years by myself. I have decided to train a small crew of select people with a skill set exceeding my own in many ways which includes communication skills that I don't have.
Thank you for giving me the chance to work for you as my passion is building the most accurate rifle possible.
Now that I have a couple of skilled and long time friends at the wheel to enhance my process of building guns I know we will be able to move through the back log quickly.
Monday the 29th we will be able to take all calls concerning builds.
Thank you for your support and patience.
Robert Gradous

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
Taxidermist follow this same general pattern it seems. A local taxidermist was extremely talented and learned from one of the best. He decided to branch off and start his own thing. At first, all was well, low prices and outstanding service/quality. As his reputation grew, so did his business. His wait times and prices continued to grow as well. He was forced to hire people to do some of the more menial tasks. At this point, he would do all the tough stuff and detail work. Time passed and I watched him get busier and busier. He worked seemingly day and night for a few years and the very first thing that began to suffer was customer service. He wouldn't return phone calls, emails, etc... When you were able to reach him, he wasn't very friendly and often was downright rude. His wait times increased, his word meant nothing. It was obvious that he had dependency issues with drugs and alcohol. His life was falling apart. Business suffered and the quality of his work also suffered. People's animals were "misplaced", orders were "forgotten". More and more, phone calls, emails and texts were ignored. His business fell apart and closed.

Know of a taxi in western WA with a similar story. She does great work, but don't expect to get anything back in the next few years. Are detailed threads on Hunting-Washington about people waiting 3 years, some as long as 5 years to get their game back. She'll say a year, but then not contact you again. And you can try to get a hold of her, but good luck. And if you ever do, she's "working on" yours and should be done shortly, for no comms to continue for another year or two.

Stop accepting work if you can't deliver on the work you already have in your shop

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Gradous
To all of my friends and customers. My sincerest apologies for the confusion and delays. The delays were caused by a large expansion to the shop that now houses new cnc equipment and all ancillary equipment necessary for the job at hand.
The procurement of equipment, tooling, three phase power, transformers and construction took much longer than expected.
After working on guns for 21 years by myself. I have decided to train a small crew of select people with a skill set exceeding my own in many ways which includes communication skills that I don't have.
Thank you for giving me the chance to work for you as my passion is building the most accurate rifle possible.
Now that I have a couple of skilled and long time friends at the wheel to enhance my process of building guns I know we will be able to move through the back log quickly.
Monday the 29th we will be able to take all calls concerning builds.
Thank you for your support and patience.
Robert Gradous

Hopefully someone on your newly hired crew is well versed in business ethics and can teach you same.

David

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wow just wow. Hope it works out. Been there done that. Wife says one morning lets go get your stuff with " gunsmith" 18 months. "Gunsmith" shat his pants in front of other prospective customers. Jkobe did the work in 2 weeks. Just saying.

Last edited by sidepass; 08/26/16.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ron Jeremy is building my next rifle. If I'm going to get f*cked, might as well get f*cked by a pro.

Go big or go home...

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by sidepass
Wow just wow. Hope it works out. Been there done that. Wife says one morning lets go get your stuff with " gunsmith" 18 months. "Gunsmith" shat his pants in front of other prospective customers. Jkobe did the work in 2 weeks. Just saying.

That is a good indication of Kobe's backlog. Just saying.

S
S
I'm still trying to get my stuff back after certified letters, the guy still won't contact me. I have no desire to wait any longer and just want was is mine back! Good luck to those who wait.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (808outdoors, ATC, Bclark, 10gaugemag, 11 invisible), 1,528 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,672
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.