Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by handwerk
I've used my kuiu attacks every elk season since kuiu came out and they are still my favorite all around pants.

Agreed. Last year I wore these on a snowy high country elk hunt and throughout Midwestern states' deer seasons and could not have been happier.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I've been wearing the Sitka timberline pants the past 2 seasons and really like them. They are very comfortable, quiet, and the(removable) knee pads are awesome as is the reinforced seat that keeps your ass dry when sitting in snow.

The one thing I don't like about them is the built-in/ fixed belt can't be removed to wear something better, and the additional belt loops are not big enough for a tactical style belt (don't know if this has been changed with newer model). They come with suspenders which are nice until you have to take a deuce, which everyone knows occurs once you get all layered up for a late season hunt.

They are on the heavy side for an early season hunt, but do breathe well. I stick to standard lightweight BDU pants for early season hunts.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I hardly ever wear my surplus wool anymore since I switched to the attack pant. Also have been using that Alpine pant and I really like it so far.

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just got the Kuiu Alpine pants. Haven't hunted them yet, but trying them on they feel great

20% off for first time buyers
https://share.kuiu.com/x/qpf1X6

M
MHWASH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I decided to get the First Lite Kanabs first. Not sure which direction I'll go next, but wool has always worked. I can't believe how light these Kanabs are!

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
To my knowledge, PNUMA is the newest name in lightweight hunting clothes. They claim "Twice As Good, Half The Price", with a lifetime guarantee.

I have not yet tried it.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
A lifetime guarantee on their rain gear and a Moisture Vapor Transfer (MVT) rating of 120,000 and Waterproof rating of 20,000>. I might have to give the PNUMA a try even though it is pricey and new to the market.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a pair of wool codet. Nice pants but their sizing is off. If you wear 36s waist in jeans I'd suggest ordering 38s in codet pants. Especially if you want to wear long under wear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am a sucker for the "higher tech" new stuff. It seems I try most of them when they come out. I will say, for the money, you are very hard pressed to beat the Cabelas microtex (sp?). Don't get me wrong. I like my Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite and various mountaineering options. None of them really do more than those Cabelas ones which sell for significantly less.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Right now Cabela's and Midway have cold weather hunting parkas, pants & such on sale. I was needing a more weather proof parka and decided to go with the Midway offering. No I won't be in Siberia, just wanted wind, rain resistant and warm. I have some 'dry-plus' pants that work well.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll give another vote for cabelas microtex, but have recently tried some 511 Stryke pants and really like them. Same price and a little tougher.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I am a sucker for the "higher tech" new stuff. It seems I try most of them when they come out. I will say, for the money, you are very hard pressed to beat the Cabelas microtex (sp?). Don't get me wrong. I like my Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite and various mountaineering options. None of them really do more than those Cabelas ones which sell for significantly less.

micro tex is great stuff from hot to cold damp weather. The breath ok, block wind and dry out quickly and you can get on sale for around $20 if you check cabelas from time to time

First lite wool is really good gear

I have sitka and like it but to me noisy when walking through brush

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For years, every pair of pants I have hunted in, both wool and synthetic, including those worn in the 'Kodiak Double' thread, have been from Goodwill.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by djb
My legs don't typically get too cold when moving. I use the nylon fishing type pants and add layers of merino wool long johns as needed as the temps drop. It is a very flexible layering type system that works well for me. While not water proof, the pants shed water and snow pretty well and dries very fast.

And, the nylon pants make a perfect windbreaker outer layer.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by smokepole
The main advantage is, the synthetics are much lighter. And they're also more comfortable IMO. Disadvantages are, they're not as durable, more expensive, and not good around campfires--a stray spark = a hole.

This.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
nylon pants would make me sweat like a dog.....

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Core4element makes some good stuff also..

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Aviator
Core4element makes some good stuff also..

If you can find it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

297 members (22kHornet, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,733
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.