Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Just curious what you guys think caused this. It's a brand new Remington Mountain SS in 7-08. I haven't shot it yet, and will probably not send it back to Remington as I am thinking of cutting the barrel back to 20" anyway (the rest of the barrel looks fine).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
But is the handle still attached to the bolt body?? laugh laugh
(Sorry, couldn't resist.. )

Looks to me like the pilot they used to cut the crown was a tad tight - and burnished the rifling a bit..

Do a new cut/crown and you'll probably be just fine..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That isn't right!
I've inly had one mountain rifle and had a lot of 700's. That Mountain rifle was modified by others by cutting muzzle breaks in the barrel. It shot about a 5" to 7" group off snad bags. I cut the barrel back to 20" and the rifle would put three shots into one inch. But it shot 5 shots into about 3-4"'s.
I'm rebarreling that rifle.
The reason I'm mentioning this is that rifle depreciated in value when I shortened it, on the market anyhow.
If you send it in, you should get a much better barrel/rifle. You could see how it shoots and if it shot to what you'd expect/want then you could shorten it. If not the rifle would still have value on the market
If you shorten your existing rifle, what are you planning on doing with it, if it doesn't shoot to your expectations?

Last edited by Bugger; 08/26/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
But is the handle still attached to the bolt body?? laugh laugh
(Sorry, couldn't resist.. )

Looks to me like the pilot they used to cut the crown was a tad tight - and burnished the rifling a bit..

Do a new cut/crown and you'll probably be just fine..

Lol, I haven't had a chance to rip the handle off yet! I haven't bought a Remington in over a decade, and this one reminded me why.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Bugger
That isn't right!
I've inly had one mountain rifle and had a lot of 700's. That Mountain rifle was modified by others by cutting muzzle breaks in the barrel. It shot about a 5" to 7" group off snad bags. I cut the barrel back to 20" and the rifle would put three shots into one inch. But it shot 5 shots into about 3-4"'s.
I'm rebarreling that rifle.
The reason I'm mentioning this is that rifle depreciated in value when I shortened it, on the market anyhow.
If you send it in, you should get a much better barrel/rifle. You could see how it shoots and if it shot to what you'd expect/want then you could shorten it. If not the rifle would still have value on the market
If you shorten your existing rifle, what are you planning on doing with it, if it doesn't shoot to your expectations?

Good points. I may end up sending it back to them and see what they say.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Ok, I turned in an online repair ticket. There are a few other issues that need to be looked at while they have it anyway.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
417 members (10ring1, 1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 42 invisible), 2,114 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,021
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.