Print Thread
Hop To
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have a Ruger LCP and have been happy with the gun the last 4 years, but oh, the trigger is hard and long, reliable though. Sold a collector gun to raise the cash for another carry pistol, was looking at a S/W Body Guard, but ended up getting a Kahr instead as I like the looks of them.

Have read that they require some special effort to get to shoot reliably, but in truth, all the pocket .380's that I checked into need special time and effort/ammo to trust your life to. Any suggestions from an owner of one?

I read that if you get a jammo matic, you can send it back to the factory for adjustment, use Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish to smooth out the internal contact surfaces, rack the slide back 100 times, run them wet (lots of lube, my favorite for all my guns) and even leave the slide locked back for 24 hours to cure your ills. Also, try different ammo, using mostly solid FMJ for reliable feeding.

Back in the 1970's we mostly used solid FMJ bullets in the semi-auto pistols as you usually had to have a gunsmith do a "throat job" to get them to feed reliably. Times sure have changed since my tender youth as the modern pistols will eat anything if they are of larger sizes in frame.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had one for a couple weeks, traded it for a set of C-T Laser grips for my J frame and a rail light for my Walther P22. All I will say.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kahr QC is completely hit or miss. They state in their literature that 200 rds is required to break them in but you’ll likely know quicker than that if you’re going to have issues. I could tell you some sorted adventures about my Kahr experiences but I’ll save you the sad stories.

If you get a good one, hold on to it cause the next one may be a dog. A friend of mine just bought his second or third Kahr 9mm and it won’t shoot 2 magazines without a malfunction. It’s got issues that must be handled by the factory.

I will say that Kahr CS was good to me as they sent me free return shipping labels 5 or 6 times. You’d think they’d figure out it’s cheaper to make them right the first time but what the heck do I know.

One thing’s for certain; I spent enough on “break-in” ammo to buy another gun and I’m not going to be a beta tester for Kahr ever again. I know where half a dozen used one's are right now that I'd buy if they were to ever come up for sale because I know they work, but buying a new Kahr ain't never going to happen for me again.

I hope you have good luck with yours. When they work, they shoot really well.

Last edited by 41magfan; 08/26/16.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 41magfan
If you get a good one, hold on to it cause the next one may be a dog.
This is my impression, too. I lucked out and the only Kahr I ever bought was a keeper (never a jam), one of the first P9s, but a friend of mine bought one and it was back and forth to the factory, and then finally replaced, and still no good. finally, he dumped it at a local gun show. I'd never sell mine, though. Proven track record.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Have got the P380...several boxes of ammo down the tube, mostly JHPs and ZERO issues... Friend bought one, loved it and bought two more for the kids...zero issues also...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Only have experience with one Kahr, a CW9, reliable from the first round fired,but I've only fired FMJ thru it. I like it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here’s just one example of the disparity in reliability;

Regardless of the parroting BS kicked around on the internet, limp-wristing isn’t the cause of most malfunctions in most semi-auto pistols.

However, I had a P380 that would malfunction on demand if you didn’t hold it firmly. I’m talking a 100% rate of malfunction if you held the gun with less than a decent grip.

In contrast, a friend of mine has a CM380 that you CANNOT make malfunction, no matter how light you hold it. In fact, we attempted to induce a limp-wrist malfunction by having one person hold the gun with just finger pressure while someone else actuated the trigger.

Our grip on the gun was so loose it almost came out of our hands but it still cycled completely. This particular CM380 has NEVER malfunctioned - not even once. Wet, dry, clean or dirty .... it just works.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The question is not if there are spotty dependability problems, it is why. What causes it? The mags or the gun is overly "tight"? Are the tolerances too tight to function reliably? For example, a Glock has a lot of play and slop in its function. It's what gives them the bulletproof track record.
If you've shot or handled a Kahr, you quickly realize there is much less play or slop.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a P-380. It took 200, more or less, for it to run reliably. I just ran 100 rounds thru it last week and not a single bobble. We have 2 CW9's as well. Neither bobbled right out of the box and have never done so since. Ran about 150 rounds thru it last week as well. Kahr's are tight outta the box, no doubt about it.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
The question is not if there are spotty dependability problems, it is why. What causes it? The mags or the gun is overly "tight"? Are the tolerances too tight to function reliably? For example, a Glock has a lot of play and slop in its function. It's what gives them the bulletproof track record.
If you've shot or handled a Kahr, you quickly realize there is much less play or slop.

I know their chambers must tend to run tight. I had some slightly out of spec reloads (I didn't make 'em) at one time that would often not chamber all the way to battery in my K9, but my Hi-Power would eat 'em up with no problem.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've had six or so of the Kahrs and all have run very well with no issues.. The only one that needed the factory was my P-9 that had a frame rail separation (polymer). I sent it in, they installed a new frame w/new serial number and sent it back - no charge, even though this pistol was way out of any stated warranty..

I have no hesitation in obtaining another one if I had the need..

As to your specific 380, (and as in most compact or 'pocket'-style pistols, they can be really more 'ammo-specific' than others.. When you find the stuff it swallows w/o a hiccup - then STAY with that ammo..

FWIW..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My only experience with Kahr is the CW9. Perfectly reliable. Have had it three years. Not one malfunction. It is exceedingly accurate for its purpose; better than one would expect.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just scored on a P380 for a song. It is used, which I am fine with. Cuts down considerably on break-in ammo costs. Fingers are crossed on getting a reliable one.

Buy once, cry once.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I know their chambers must tend to run tight. I had some slightly out of spec reloads (I didn't make 'em) at one time that would often not chamber all the way to battery in my K9, but my Hi-Power would eat 'em up with no problem.

Tight chambers was the story I got from the gunsmith at the shop where I bought mine. The K40 was perfect with factory rounds but had a few issues with some handloads. I fixed that with a Lee FCD & Bulge Buster, it became 100%. The CW9 had iirc 3 FTE in the first 50 or 60 rounds & is now perfect. I was using up the last few grains of a couple of different powders I had lieing around for my break-in rounds; those 3 were 800X. I suspect they just weren't quite hot enough. Doesn't matter now, they've been shot up & the pistol runs fine with my current loads.

HE112, I'm looking forward to your range report.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I was using up the last few grains of a couple of different powders I had lieing around for my break-in rounds; those 3 were 800X. .
800X??? wow.. I can't believe that stuff is still used by anybody.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 16penny, 17CalFan, 23 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,371
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.