Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You know I get it a couple of years ago I contracted a bunch of trucks to haul equipment from Penn to Iowa. There were 50 plus loads and we set up JLG's to tarp and crews to chain down. I contract several loads as a buyer every month, but another part of my job is to go from point A to B and get fed up with the BS on the road

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know you get it just as I do. There is no excuse for bad manors on the rod or anywhere else for that mater.

As stated above in someone's post it is getting a lot harder to find good drivers. I don't have a solution to the problem. It is a tough job and the money is getting poorer and poorer leaving bad drivers who can do nothing else. Seventy hour weeks and almost no home time make the good guys find other work.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was driving at 75 mph on I-25 (Colorado) yesterday {speed limit = 75] and was closely followed by a semi that wanted to go faster. I just tapped my brakes (to activate brake lights) and he backed off, pulled around and cut me off. so much for courteousness and obeying the law.

I am wondering why you did not just pull into another lane and let him go. It is what I do unless I am behind something where I can't go faster, then we both have to wait. If nobody in front of me, I pull over and would like others to do the same. miels

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What's so wrong with driving the speed limit in the left lane?

What is wrong with getting out of other peoples way? miles

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am going to weigh in on this as we have heavy vehicle speed limiting to 100 kph for singles and b-doubles, and 90 kph for Road Trains...and I hold an Australian MC and have driven line-haul.

Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
My Dad is of the board of directors of one of the larger freight companies and he is expecting them to go to driverless trucks at some point. They are really struggling to find drivers, and the average age of their drivers continue to climb, with no relief on sight.

That will be because drivers are sick to death of being screwed over by the company they drive for, the arseholes loading, and the coppers that are out to shaft them every chance they get.

Originally Posted by Scott F
There are professional driver on the road today that do a great job. The work hard, they work long hours, and they do it by the books. I did it for around six and a half years with no moving violations and no accidents.

Many a time I was doing the speed limit on cruse only to have a car pass me, cut back so close I could not see the tail lights from a slant hood Freightliner, and put on their brakes hard. The often slowed down to five or ten miles below the speed limit. I have had to break so hard I shifted 7,000 pound plus roles of paper to the front of the trailer and had to turn around and go back to the mill to be reloaded to be legal risking my ass to keep from killing some idiot. Just a hint, if you see a truck with 26 to 28 tires on the ground it might just be heavy and even a 80,000 pound rig cannot stop on a dime.

That said I will be the first to admit there are CDL drivers on the road who should not be allowed to ride a rocking horse.

To expect a truck to maintain 80 mph speeds in mountain country means you don't have the IQ to pas the test to be a bowling ball.

Like here there are undoubtedly a lot of very good drivers that most definitely are professional in their outlook and approach...there will also be a mass of absolute clowns that shouldn't be anywhere near a matchbox toy car on any given day of the week, you know them as they stand out like dogs balls every time you go for a drive, they are the ones the driving public notices.
And I am betting you have been hit by an influx of filth from india and every other cesspool around the globe that fancies themselves as Jesus on wheels, and I am also betting the bastards are getting away with murder as they do not understand English, can't fill in a log book...and are being used by the companies to screw local drivers out of a job, the same companies that are whinging about a lack of screwable drivers so they need to import more low filth from fukcrapistan.

And last but not least...I cannot wait to see how something created by some techy halfwit at microsoft goes about pulling into a property and loading up a mob of cattle, probably about as well it goes avoiding a mob of stock wandering over the road.

This isn't about safety, it is about companies screwing every last cent out of the game...and not paying.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

And as for the speed limiting...it works here.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
My Dad is of the board of directors of one of the larger freight companies and he is expecting them to go to driverless trucks at some point. They are really struggling to find drivers, and the average age of their drivers continue to climb, with no relief on sight.

It's your Dad's company that's the problem not the drivers. Companies that treat drivers like human beings and pay decent have all the drivers they need. Of course those companies are rare these days as is decent paying freight to support those companies. The driverless trucks are coming fast and they will be a disaster for the economy of flyover America but Washington doesn't care about what flyover thinks.
Swift = Sure Wish I'd Finished Training

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by milespatton

Then he wouldn't get to play the grumpy speed nazi and keep everyone in their place.

99% of this crap could be avoided if people would just exercise some common courtesy and stay out of the left lane unless passing. Unfortunately common courtesy is in very short supply today.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
The only way driverless trucks will become reality is to take the interaction with cars out of the equation on the highways. A computer and sensor is no match for a idiot behind the wheel of a car.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Why should safe drivers have too? They are not under any obligation to exceed the speed limit.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho's speed limit on freeways is 80. For trucks it's 70. Many trucks can't do 70 because of governors. So, we have cars going 80, trucks going between 60 and 70, and RV's going somewhere in between. Traffic jams have become the norm.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by MissouriEd

Why should safe drivers have too? They are not under any obligation to exceed the speed limit.

You don't have to exceed the speed limit to move over into the right lane.

Besides, it's an obnoxious passive aggressive behavior that causes road rage and increases the chances for an accident. It's not your place to police the speed of others by blocking them with your car. It's pretty simple: Don't be an a$$hole.

It's also illegal in many states to block the left lane even if you are doing the speed limit. I wish it was enforced more vigorously.

Here's an article describing Indiana's new law:

Left lane hog law

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I was driving at 75 mph on I-25 (Colorado) yesterday {speed limit = 75] and was closely followed by a semi that wanted to go faster. I just tapped my brakes (to activate brake lights) and he backed off, pulled around and cut me off. so much for courteousness and obeying the law.

I am wondering why you did not just pull into another lane and let him go. It is what I do unless I am behind something where I can't go faster, then we both have to wait. If nobody in front of me, I pull over and would like others to do the same. miels

He explained it in the last sentence. He's discourteous and doesn't obey the law.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I just try to stay off any freeways unless there's no other choice.. I-94 is a half-mile away, but I take the back roads instead when going east/west.. It seems every other time I do use it there's a crash ahead or some vehicle on fire and traffic's backed up for miles..

And ya can't get OFF those things once yer on... I'll pass..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Why should safe drivers have too?

What is safe about being in the way and pizzing people off?

You obviously don't have to, but courtesy should dictate that you do. miles

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
While Idaho doesn't have a specific right lane law, there are signs that tell slower traffic to keep right. However, with the great variation of speeds we have, you can often be going the speed limit in the left lane and the only way to move right is to slow down 10 mph.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P

Safe drivers don't ride in the passing lane, they travel in the travel lane and pass on the left.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got hosed in traffic last week when some dummy turned his fuel tanker upside down on I5.

Shut down the interstate in both directions for a while.

In addition to speed limiting, I'd like to see trucks relegated to certain lanes.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
They are. In three and four lane roads there should be no trucks in the left land in WA.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by blanket
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Just keep them the fug out of the passing lane.
Agreed, Diesel dummies trying to control the speed of traffic by getting side by side and driving 5 miles below the speed limit for miles on end, fug them and their mothers , wives and daughters

Oh God, one of those.... Didn't you go to driving school?

The Left Lane, AKA PASSING LANE is just for that, PASSING. If you see someone behind you, for chrissakes MOVE OVER and whatever you do, PLEASE don't "join up" with the other slow driver on the right lane.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 41 invisible), 2,669 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.