Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Unlike Jordan, I don't automatically install it in every barrel that comes into the house...

laugh

But, in Jordon's defense, a barrel is probably cleaner when it's new than after it's been shot a bunch. Thus, it's a lot easier to clean.

Given that, why not DBC them while they're pristine. I don't think DBC can hurt, can only help. Some barrels may not need DBC, but it can't hurt'em. The others will for sure benfit.

So, guess I'm with Jordon on that one.

To me, it's a practical matter, do what easiest...

DF

Yup, that's my rationale, too.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bugger,

What was the author's definition of a clean barrel? Cleaned between each shot?

I believe it was an article in American Rifleman. It was only several years back. Last time our cousins got together for a Prairie Dog hunt I brought the subject up. That was three years ago. Sadly this hunt used to be annual. But we're doing again in two weeks. 😊

As I recall the author was a clean fanatic, cleaning after every ten rounds or so. If I recall correctly at least some of but not all was in regards to Ar-15's, M1's and the like. But he also covered bolt action rifles. He may have even brought up bench rifles.

It's not that I'm not a cleanliness freak, it's that I have other things to do. And oh yes, to have complete disclosure both my wives (past and present) think/thought that I'm a slob. But they obviously have/had judgement issues.

The article was news to me and I've not seen another, pro or con.

Last edited by Bugger; 08/24/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Unlike Jordan, I don't automatically install it in every barrel that comes into the house...

laugh

But, in Jordon's defense, a barrel is probably cleaner when it's new than after it's been shot a bunch. Thus, it's a lot easier to clean.

Given that, why not DBC them while they're pristine. I don't think DBC can hurt, can only help. Some barrels may not need DBC, but it can't hurt'em. The others will for sure benfit.

So, guess I'm with Jordon on that one.

To me, it's a practical matter, do what easiest...

DF

Yup, that's my rationale, too.

laugh

Guess we gotta double team JB from time to time... grin

He's a purist, I'm more along the lines of expediency, if a little is good a lot must be better... grin

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually, NOT installing DBC in every barrel is all about expediency for me. If I installed DBC in every rifle that came in the door, I wouldn't get much else done. If only one rifle a month showed up it would make sense, but that's not the way it works around here!

So I install it in some to forestall almost certain severe fouling, and decide on the others after shooting them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JB's day job is to fool with rifles, as where I don't have time to sort out which barrels need help and which don't, so while I didn't always do it this way, now they all get treated right out the gate since I've never seen DBC be detrimental to any barrel yet, so I figure it can't hurt. It doesn't take me long to get brand new barrels clean to bare steel, and I would be running a couple of patches down anyway to clean up any metal shavings, and applying the coating takes an extra 5 minutes.

I'm sure JB doesn't mind us having diverging thoughts when it comes to a preference issue. Now if this was a technical disagreement we'd be in trouble grin

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ha!

Yeah, I'm at the range quite a bit (last week three times), so it doesn't take long to sort them out.

I've also never seen any negative effects from DBC, and in fact one other reason I sometimes install it is rust prevention. Rifles normally don't rust much here in Montana, but while I don't travel to hunt as much as much as a few years ago, once in a while I end up someplace wet. Which is why my rifles with waterproof exteriors tend to have DBC'd bores as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ha!

Yeah, I'm at the range quite a bit (last week three times), so it doesn't take long to sort them out.

I've also never seen any negative effects from DBC, and in fact one other reason I sometimes install it is rust prevention. Rifles normally don't rust much here in Montana, but while I don't travel to hunt as much as much as a few years ago, once in a while I end up someplace wet. Which is why my rifles with waterproof exteriors tend to have DBC'd bores as well.

Agreed. It's pretty dry here in AB, too, but I like not having to worry about rust at all, so my rifles either have Cerakote or DGS on the outside and DBC on the inside. I've seen some simply amazing things when it comes to DBC preventing rust.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I see JB's point; it's not a technical issue, a function of logistics.

Makes perfect sense. (Not surprising... cool)

I don't have that many; it's easy for me to DBC them all.

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My "opinion" is the only breaking in of a good custom lapped barrel is the throat. To alleviate this I put a bronze brush in my electric drill, wrap the brush with a little 0000 steel wool and lap the chambering fluff out of the throat. About 5-10 seconds. The bore has been lapped already and the machining fluff from the reamer in the throat is your problem. Now, just go out and shoot it. I don't use factory barrels and would not form any opinion on them.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Apparently!

Actually, I dunno how the stuff works. Doug Burche told me it filled in imperfections in the bore, but since it also apparently works on super-smooth bores.

Maybe it's like a Thermos bottle, which keeps cold stuff cold and hot stuff hot. :-)

DBC fills in the pores of the steel and has a lower coefficient of friction than steel, so once cured it "scrapes" less material off the bullet jacket, and as you know, it relinquishes it much easier than steel does, as well.

Taking this to the next logical step (uh-oh smile ) is there a consequent drop in pressure/speed after application which allows a higher charge to attain the same pressure/speed?

Or is that just crazy talk?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think that rather than "allowing" a higher charge to achieve the same pressure/speed, it would be "requiring". Using more powder to achieve the same thing wouldn't seem to be a positive to me.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
yep yep

That's the point of my question, I guess.

Does that occur and is it a significant difference - fouling aside.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
Apparently!

Actually, I dunno how the stuff works. Doug Burche told me it filled in imperfections in the bore, but since it also apparently works on super-smooth bores.

Maybe it's like a Thermos bottle, which keeps cold stuff cold and hot stuff hot. :-)

DBC fills in the pores of the steel and has a lower coefficient of friction than steel, so once cured it "scrapes" less material off the bullet jacket, and as you know, it relinquishes it much easier than steel does, as well.

Taking this to the next logical step (uh-oh smile ) is there a consequent drop in pressure/speed after application which allows a higher charge to attain the same pressure/speed?

Or is that just crazy talk?

Velocity of the bullet comes from sustained pressure as the bullet is pushed down the bore (bear with me). There are two primary sources of this pressure that is generated- the inertia of the bullet and the tight fit between the bore and bullet, providing resistance against the rapidly expanding, hot gases in the chamber, as well as the coefficient of friction between the bullet and the bore. The bullet's inertia and bullet/bore fit is by far the biggest contributor to resistance, and therefore pressure generation, with coeff. of friction between the bullet and bore being a very minor portion. An analogy would be you trying to push a 10,000 lbs boulder through a doorway in your living room (don't ask me how it got there) on carpet versus linoleum. The difference in resistance the boulder gives you when pushed on carpet versus linoleum is pretty insignificant, considering the amount of force required to overcome the inertia of the boulder and squeeze it through the doorway. This can be seen when we modify the friction between the bullet and the bore by either changing the bullet material or the bore surface. In this case, the coating fills in pores and reduces friction, but the change in overall pressure is minimal.

But the reduction in the coefficient of friction is enough to prevent the bullet's jacket from scraping off and being deposited in the pores and crevices of the bore.

Here's a couple of 1000 words to show you what I mean:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 54 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.