Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
So one of our local WM's has both the '06 and .243 in stock. How do these things function and shoot? Not usually a fan of lightweight rifles, and these feel pretty light to me. I could probably get over most shortcomings at that price, except for accuracy issues I guess.

Their weak points are the magazine... which suck.

Even at that price, I'd cough up the extra $129 and be buying a Howa from Whittakers.....that would be $129 well spent, and also be supporting a Campfire member's business vs "WE Don't Give a Damn "Wally Mart.....

Ruger Americans are to Rifles as the Simmons are to rifle scopes.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Ken
I have and so has a good friend who's a machinist and gunsmith. Ask him about his SS RAR that he now has 1K into after changing the barrel, trigger and stock to finally get it to shoot right.

Yeah I'm impressed with the RARs

Someone that evidently has never heard of customer service from a good company. Not likely the average buyer of a $400 gun is going to sink $1000 into it, unless their expectations are a little overboard.

The overall consensus is that most are scoping these, picking their favorite load, and getting good accuracy with no changes. Some do a 5 minute, free trigger job, but that's about it. But, to each his own.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Seafire
So one of our local WM's has both the '06 and .243 in stock. How do these things function and shoot? Not usually a fan of lightweight rifles, and these feel pretty light to me. I could probably get over most shortcomings at that price, except for accuracy issues I guess.

Even at that price, I'd cough up the extra $129 and be buying a Howa from Whittakers.....that would be $129 well spent, and also be supporting a Campfire member's business vs "WE Don't Give a Damn "Wally Mart.....

Except for the fact that Rugers are made in the USA by a company with excellent customer service as opposed to made in Japan, China, and the Philippines, like Howa and Simmons.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mine in 7mm-08 did this with 140 NAB all day long.

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
People that don't like them just don't like them. But lack of accuracy is not really a valid excuse in most cases. The target above is pretty much status quo for out of the box, without much load development needed. Mine have done the same in a LH stainless compact .243, a LH standard stainless .243, and a LH stainless 7mm-08.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am on my second RAR, the first was a 22-250, the bolt was machined improperly and had to send it back.
Accuracy was , lets just say a challenge.
That gun went down the road.

I am a slow learner so I just picked up another, this time a predator in 223, the 8twist, threaded muzzle are features I wanted.
Well again lets just say accuracy has been a challenge.
It's very fussy and inconsistent. Have a bit more load development and if it doesnt work out it too will go down the road.
I want to like the darn things but am having a hard time.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
I am on my second RAR, the first was a 22-250, the bolt was machined improperly and had to send it back.

I am a slow learner so I just picked up another, this time a predator in 223, the 8twist, threaded muzzle are features I wanted.
It's very fussy and inconsistent. Have a bit more load development and if it doesnt work out it too will go down the road.

What kind of groups are you getting? Americans have a strong reputation for accuracy.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I think Walmart works differently here, in that the sales guy who knows about the deals call all their buddies and that's who get the guns, 22LR ammo, etc.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by irfubar

What kind of groups are you getting? Americans have a strong reputation for accuracy.

I am struggling to get 3 shot 1 inch groups.
Out of 5 or 6 different loads I may get one to shoot into an inch.
Most loads are in the 2 to 3 inch range.
And different loads wander all over the target.

By comparison my cheap Savage's tend to shoot most loads well and a few exceptional, without different loads wandering all over the place.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by KenMi

Except for the fact that Rugers are made in the USA by a company with excellent customer service as opposed to made in Japan, China, and the Philippines, like Howa and Simmons.

Well then since they are American made and we could put a man on the moon in a decade 47 years ago, why can Ruger make a damned working magazine for them? or is that too much to ask..

I'm not going to buy a POS just because it American made...nor am I going to deal with a rifle that you have to remove the mag after each shot, to load another round in the rifle.....

I have multiple other 223s that work just fine, along with 243s, 22.250s, 260sd, 270s, 30/06s

I just think it is funny, the campfire loves a cheap rifle, yet hates a cheap scoope.....

The one Ruger American I kept is a 223 Predator, which is accurate, but being a single shot affair, rules it out of being any serious hunting rifle.......

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a RAR .223 acouple of years ago. Bought it from a 24hr member in my area, used, at a fair price. Mounted some old weaver rings and an old M8 4X I had onto it. Had to do the X-acto knife and sand paper mod to the magazine. Ran some Federal Fusion 62gr and Hornady White tail 60gr through it.

1" @ hundred and 2ish @ 200, does everything my 13 year old Grandson needs. I like to shoot it as well. Probably shoots better than we do with it with factory ammo.

Ed
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Well then since they are American made and we could put a man on the moon in a decade 47 years ago, why can Ruger make a damned working magazine for them? or is that too much to ask..

I'm not going to buy a POS just because it American made...nor am I going to deal with a rifle that you have to remove the mag after each shot, to load another round in the rifle.....

I have multiple other 223s that work just fine, along with 243s, 22.250s, 260sd, 270s, 30/06s

I just think it is funny, the campfire loves a cheap rifle, yet hates a cheap scoope.....

The one Ruger American I kept is a 223 Predator, which is accurate, but being a single shot affair, rules it out of being any serious hunting rifle.......

What are you hunting with a 223 that would require a quick follow up shot? The magazines being shipped out now are still pretty cheap feeling, but much more reliable than the first run. Call Ruger, they'll probably send you a new one for free.

I digest a lot of information on the net. It's rare that an American has a magazine issue anymore and it's rarer yet that they don't shoot MOA.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
They single feed just fine from the bench, without magazine removal. The nice thing about a push feed action.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Mine is a 300 bo. The mag works well. The problem I have is it doesn't like to go bang every time I want it to. Took the bolt apart and cleaned/adjusted internals. Used softer primers. Now I think I figure out that if the bolt handle isn't pressed down all the way, and I mean every last mm, it gives me a light strike. Problem is it don't like to stay down all the way when carrying it in the woods.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Long out of Ruger Americans around here, but was able to snag a Savage Axis II with Weaver scope for 199.

Picked up a .243 RAR night before last. It was the display model, so dusty and a slight scratch under the barrel. I was of course very crushed that it was not pristine. You can still see the tear in my eye. Though that may have been for the additional discount. $159.00 plus tax.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I bought the last two RAR's at the local WM a couple of days ago for $179 each, a 30-06 and 243. Looking forward to seeing how accurate they are.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow! I'd like to find a left hand .243 model for that price.

Last edited by BigDogBoogie; 09/11/16.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
good luck finding a lefty at that price. But, if you check Galleryofguns (Davidsons) they are often on sale. And then you just find the lowest priced dealer in your area on their list, and have it shipped in.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
good luck finding a lefty at that price. But, if you check Galleryofguns (Davidsons) they are often on sale. And then you just find the lowest priced dealer in your area on their list, and have it shipped in.

Thanks for the info!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 54 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,084
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.