Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Pre 64 is what I would choose or an old sako l61r

Exactly! I have both and love em!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I remember them as the "Ithaca" LSA. Thought they were a Sako.

Getting technical about it....they were made for Ithaca by Tikka, before Sako owned Tikka. I believe they were being made in the mid to late '60's to early 70's but don't quote me on those exact dates. You get the idea though. They are very well made, I'm certain of that.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I remember them as the "Ithaca" LSA. Thought they were a Sako.

Getting technical about it....they were made for Ithaca by Tikka, before Sako owned Tikka. I believe they were being made in the mid to late '60's to early 70's but don't quote me on those exact dates. You get the idea though. They are very well made, I'm certain of that.

Exactly on the money.

Ithaca was the importer. They were built by Tikka, and are seriously nice rifles, that almost nobody knows about. Very nice walnut stocks that when you handle it you know immediately that the person who designed it was a shooter. Bofors steel barrel. Great shooters. One of the true "sleepers" of the rifle world.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Tikka with Limbsaver pad and it will not beat you up.

Ted
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kenster99
Go to a gunshow and find a sporterized Springfield. I guess they will always be my favorite 06.

[Linked Image]

I like that. My favorites are the M1917 sporters, when done right. The 1903's are damn good rifles too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had a bunch of the newer made rifles, but have settled on a Husqvarna for my 30/06. I just find it hard to get excited about a stainless steel and plastic hunting rifle. The action is smooth as butter, it's made of blued steel with a walnut stock and shoots better than I can hold. The best part is it was priced in the same range as the Ruger American. I'd buy another tomorrow, if I ran across it.
[Linked Image]

Harry
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Does "this guy" have a deluxe model or the regular one?

A standard one (I think) as I have never paid any attention to the deluxe versions.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Here is the first one I came across. The bolt handle does not sweep back like ours. This one may be some other action.

Sears M50

[Linked Image]

That must be a very early version. Both of the ones I had had the same bolt handle as a typical FN Supreme, swept back with a checkered flat on the knob. I'd think it was a replacement bolt, but the same seller has an identical .270 listed.

My F.I. 1948 has the swept back bolt. Gotta wonder what the dates are on these, and if they're "c" or "h" collars.

EDIT: My bad. Only one rifle. For some reason, it appears in the additional items section as well as the main listing. Another difference I noticed is that the rear sight is dovetailed into the barrel just in front of the receiver, rather than fitted into a dovetail adapter screwed to the barrel. Curiouser and curiouser.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/27/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
X-bolt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T3 Super lite stainless fluted on sale at sportsmans warehouse , with a limb saver pad.

Of course, an older Tikka LSA or Sako is pretty hard to beat, too.

I love my super lite in 308, but have a Remington 722 in 308 that is my all time favorite. It was made the year of my birth and I'm 12 animals for 13 attempts with it.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I have had a bunch of the newer made rifles, but have settled on a Husqvarna for my 30/06. I just find it hard to get excited about a stainless steel and plastic hunting rifle. The action is smooth as butter, it's made of blued steel with a walnut stock and shoots better than I can hold. The best part is it was priced in the same range as the Ruger American. I'd buy another tomorrow, if I ran across it.
[Linked Image]

I agree. I've owned four of them. Three .30-06's. If I were picking from current production I would go with the Tikka T3.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mathsr
[Linked Image]

Amen, that is a damn good one right there. All anyone would ever need in a hunting rifle. I had a chance to buy one at $400.00 and should have, but you snooze you loose. I also know a girl that bought a lightweight 1600 270 Winchester for $350.00. Every bit as good/functional as a pre 64 model 70, but at a fraction of the cost..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
About five years ago, I was in a So Cal gun shot. Yeah, I know. We still have a few left. Anyway, there was a Pre-'64 Winchester chambered in .270 Win (Jack O'Connor special) on the rack. It had a era-appropriate scope (read: needed an updated model). It was in good condition. The shop was asking a grand for the rifle. I picked it up. It was one heavy gun. I decided to stick with the 2 .270 Win rifles I have.

Pre-'64 Winchester Model 70's were hand fitted, I believe. I might be wrong. Anyway, they were the gold standard at one time. Just as gold changes hands, so do standards. Computer-aided manufacturing has taken human error out of production. Now even a promotional rifle will shoot well. In fact, I have a friend who bought a Remington promotional rifle. That darn thing didn't know it was a promotional rifle. It shot like it was custom made.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SakoAV
About five years ago, I was in a So Cal gun shot. Yeah, I know. We still have a few left. Anyway, there was a Pre-'64 Winchester chambered in .270 Win (Jack O'Connor special) on the rack. It had a era-appropriate scope (read: needed an updated model). It was in good condition. The shop was asking a grand for the rifle. I picked it up. It was one heavy gun. I decided to stick with the 2 .270 Win rifles I have.

Pre-'64 Winchester Model 70's were hand fitted, I believe. I might be wrong. Anyway, they were the gold standard at one time. Just as gold changes hands, so do standards. Computer-aided manufacturing has taken human error out of production. Now even a promotional rifle will shoot well. In fact, I have a friend who bought a Remington promotional rifle. That darn thing didn't know it was a promotional rifle. It shot like it was custom made.

Throw the hook out for someone else... whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice work.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ignore the rest of these suggestions and find yourself a Model 70 Classic (5 digit serial number) with or without the BOSS (I actually like them). Then load up 57.5 grains of H4350 with any good 165-168 bullet and go hunting.

You're welcome.

Chris
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 54 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,824
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.