Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks for the feedback guys; I'll try my 10/22 mags and see how they work, if they don't this one might have to hit the road. Not too worried about any accuracy deficiencies; I've got Anschutz's for those occasions where accuracy predominates over ruggedness.

Last edited by Oregon45; 08/27/16.
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have never had any problem swapping back and forth between 10/22 and 77/22 magazines, in either direction.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by 1minute
10/22 or 77/22 Mags. Either work fine in my 77. Does anyone here have a 77 that is threaded to the receiver as opposed to the wedged in block for barrel seating? Heard they were going that way a couple years back but not seen one.

I have a 77/22 with the barrel threaded into the receiver........

My 10/22 or 77/22 mags work good in either rifle......

The bottom contour seems to be the difference....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jericho
I wouldnt mind having a Ruger 77/17 in 17HM2 but not for the prices they demand these days.....

That's why I got a GM 17 HM2 barrel for mine.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and even the BX-25 'nanner clips' work in mine.....

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That was my hope.

I gots fugked. They won't feed for schit.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife's deluxe version has never ejected reliably.....needs a trip to the factory I reckon.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought a couple of rubber magazine covers for my 77/22 mags. Dang things smell so strongly of rubber it's like being in a tire store. The smell has diminished a bit over time, but they're still too stinky to carry in the woods. On top of that, getting one off once it's in place is pretty tough. Might be okay for stowing in a pack for an emergency spare.

I was at the range on a very hot day and one, then the other of my magazines began to bind up; the first and only time a Ruger rotary mag has given me trouble. After a bit of figgering, I loosened the spindles a bit, and the trouble vanished.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two things on the rotary mags, first there are several good videos out there showing how to disassemble them and reassemble them for a good cleaning should the time come. Second thing I would like to pass on for any of you hunting with either a 10/22 or 77/22 and using the standard 10 round mags, I have found that those mags ride very well in speed loader holsters. Real handy in the woods.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Oregon45: I was at a gunshow yesterday and a Rifle like you are looking at came into the show on the shoulder of a visitor and it did NOT make it 50' around the room until it sold.
I am not privy to the price but was sad I did not get to it in time to make an offer.
Good luck to you in dealing on the one you have spotted.
I do NOT know why but folks are NOT detered at all by the ugly, noisy, uncomfortable boat paddle stock - I don't know why?
My Ruger 77/22 V/T has a Weaver 4x16 variable scope on it and is VERY accurate with hollow-point Hunting style ammunition!
I did install a Volquartsen trigger sear and spring to my Rifle - this was a very worthwhile investment of a small amount of time and a small amount of money.
Again good luck if you get it.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife's deluxe version has never ejected reliably

One might break down the bolt and clean the extractors. Have to do that about every 10 or 15K rounds with mine.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good idea. Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Is there a general consensus as to the pros and cons of a threaded receiver versus the V-Block system in the 77/22 platform?

Is one preferable over the other?

Semper Fi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll go out on a limb here, btw no expert but a good deal of personal experience with the M77/22 platform. Provided that the factory barrel is good to start with, a threaded to the receiver barrel should be a better shooter. I find it amusing that years ago the CZ fans all preached how the CZ rifle with its threaded barrel was the better platform. Then about the same time ruger went to the threaded barrel design, CV came out with their slip fit barrel swap design 455. A slip fit barrel design allows the average Joe to swap out a barrel with no special skills involved. I have not shot any of the threaded to receiver 77/22's but I have owned and shot the CZ 455 rim fire. To me if I had the choice when buying a new M77/22 I would opted for the newer threaded models. However I would not turn down the slip fit model if it came around. I guess my post really isn't going to help come to think about it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by haverluk
Is there a general consensus as to the pros and cons of a threaded receiver versus the V-Block system in the 77/22 platform?

Most feel that threaded trumps the V-block.

I think it's a draw. If you want UBER accurate get an Anschutz.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by haverluk

Most feel that threaded trumps the V-block.

I think it's a draw. If you want UBER accurate get an Anschutz.

Dave

Exactly. By the time one spends the money to "tune" any Ruger product it pencils out cheaper to simply buy a rifle built for accuracy from the ground up.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Others rifles often outshoot the Rugers and for less money, but I just like them. They're plenty accurate for hunting and are the only "nice" .22 available in SS, unless you include the T-bolts, which aren't to my taste. A SS 77/22 in a walnut stock makes for a handsome package, I think, even the regular ( non-RSI) models.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/29/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two of the SS & walnut set ups and one blue & walnut. I like the SS the best.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
I've read about shimming the bolt and trigger work, ect. My little rifle will shoot five shots 1/2" or slightly less @ 50 yards with several different loads as is. I just haven't felt the need to tinker with it. Squirrels hate it!

BTW, the 77/22 uses its own magazine and does not interchange with the 10/22 mags. Yeah, I know... that's a bummer.

Glad you told me the mags are different and don't work well, I've been using 3 different ones for nearly 30 years, could not tell you which one was the stock 77/22 and which were from 10/22's....they all function perfectly.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got my 77-22 ~30 years ago from a gun store that was going out out of business. 50% off list...$160 OTD! smile Over the years, I had a gunsmith buddy do a trigger job...$7.50, then added a scope...Weaver 4X Rimfire
Classic (still going strong!) then I did a "first ever" glass bedding job.
Got a potful of magazines...the tales of 10-22 and 77-22 mags not being compatible don't seem to hold water.YMMV
As far as bolt shimming goes, I ordered some shims to "tighten" the bolt halves from Lance at Triggershims.com. The thinnest shim was waaay too tight...the bolt would barely close! I read that some folks grind a larger diameter pin that holds the bolt halves together, soooo...I figured to measure my bolt pin, then order a half-dozen from Mother Ruger, and use biggest one to replace the original. It seemed to work! smile Getting that little pin back in is a real bear, if you don't pay attention to the way the flat side positioned!
Anyway, I guess I took the long way around to say I really like mine. Very accurate, and it will shoot right along side my CZ 455.
From the picture, it looks like you did good!

What's the worst thing that can happen? O.K., what's the next worst thing?
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

615 members (204guy, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,260
Posts18,448,161
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.