Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Originally Posted by Ringman
Fascinating. Surprised it was not stolen.

Why

She had been shooting one day and forgot it inside her open truck bed....for about 3 weeks

That really doesn't mean anything.
You're making assumptions without any facts.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
BP-B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I hear of this now and then but I won't do it. Her mistake true...but not her store. I would have corrected her mistake.

I had to go down to North 40 and explain the problem to them.

This was after hearing the 10th dirtbag brag about "what a deal" he got.

They were all white.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker
" ... my shop was in Lancaster. just a hole in the wall. "

Nope, never got out there to a gun store. Went into gun stores all over L.A., Glendale, Burbank, Santa Monica, Culver City, Encino, etc., but not Lancaster.

Coincidentally, our mail carrier retired when he worked in L.A. and moved to Bonners Ferry.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I got a H&R handi in 35 whelen for $150 at Dicks last year. Was told ammo was impossible to get. Went right up to Gander and bought a box, found dies, but was surprosied how few .35 bullets were around. That thing was on my bucket list. 2 year before I got a .308 with scope for $140 there. Decent clerk, just going on what ammo they inventoreied.
I stopped s fellow buying 30-30 bullets, $15. for a hundred. He thought he found a deal on cartridges.

I don't like trigger locks, but fully understand.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Great thread fellas.

I worked at American Outdoor Sports on Long Island for a while.

We used to get cops from New York City coming in all the time.

One day two of them were laughing about how they chased two perps down an alley the two individuals turned around brandishing handguns.

Both cops unloaded the entire magazine of their Glocks without returning to battery and were laughing about how their rounds were impacting the 4th and 5th story apartments.

Neither bad guy was hit.

Then there was the time one of my co-workers took a phone call from a heavily accented individual wanting us to "lubrificate his rife" (sic).

My buddy turns and yells down the counter "hey guys, I think this guy wants me to lubricate his wife".

Don't even get me started on the survival nuts that used to come in.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 08/27/16.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
In WalMart the other day. Woman clerk working the ammo counter. Another woman asks clerk, "My husband asked me to get a box of ammo for his 45 auto. Will this box of Winchester ammo marked 45 ACP be what he needs?

Clerk replies, "No. You will need to find some that says "45 Auto".

JEEZ! It made my head hurt. I appreciated that the nice lady was trying to help her husband out, so I stepped in and settled the matter for them. Now the clerk knows what ACP stands for.

At least she didn't try to send the customer off with the wrong ammo.

Last fall, I was buying some 380 ammo at Walmart. The female clerk told me the brand I was buying was what she used, her gun didn't function right with the other brand they had in stock. So there's some good ones out there too.

Dale

This space for rent

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
We sell a bunch of guns, but our staff isn't totally full of "experts". I recognize this and try to educate as much as possible. I started delaying the opening on Tuesdays until 9:00 A.M. We use the time from 8-9 for training. Sometimes manufacturers come in for training, sometimes we do our own training and sometimes I just stand there and bitch!

As soon as things cool off, we'll spend a couple Tuesay mornings a month at the range. I want them all shooting and setting up their own guns. We'll do rifles, handguns, shotguns and muzzleloaders. I want diversity and experience across the board. Should be fun too.

The ATF is training this Tuesday morning. I just hired three new employees and the old crew needs a refresher. There's more to selling guns than firearms knowledge....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by deflave

I hear of this now and then but I won't do it. Her mistake true...but not her store. I would have corrected her mistake.

I had to go down to North 40 and explain the problem to them.

This was after hearing the 10th dirtbag brag about "what a deal" he got.

They were all white.

Haha! Now the gals at north 40 take all the boxes out, see if there is ten and use multiplication skills to make sure.

Dave

I am MAGA.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm not a fan of fugking people.

Regularly.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Much of the firearms "knowledge" I hear from the guys behind the counter at gun stores is either (1) false or (2) so completely out of date as to be useless.

I much prefer to work with people who are knowledgeable about the product they are selling and the procedures by which it is sold.

Last edited by Oregon45; 08/27/16.
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
We sell a bunch of guns, but our staff isn't totally full of "experts". I recognize this and try to educate as much as possible. I started delaying the opening on Tuesdays until 9:00 A.M. We use the time from 8-9 for training. Sometimes manufacturers come in for training, sometimes we do our own training and sometimes I just stand there and bitch!

As soon as things cool off, we'll spend a couple Tuesay mornings a month at the range. I want them all shooting and setting up their own guns. We'll do rifles, handguns, shotguns and muzzleloaders. I want diversity and experience across the board. Should be fun too.

The ATF is training this Tuesday morning. I just hired three new employees and the old crew needs a refresher. There's more to selling guns than firearms knowledge....

Well done!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Much of the firearms "knowledge" I hear from the guys behind the counter at gun stores is either (1) false or (2) so completely out of date as to be useless.

I much prefer to work with people who are knowledgeable about the product they are selling and the procedures by which it is sold.

So do I but the biggest concern I have is the bad advice and misinformation handed out in some stores.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not much for good advice to be found at most gun counters.

But what do most places pay an hour?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I ended up with a NIB Weatherby Ultra Lightweight .30-06 that had been mispriced at $550. It was in the rack behind the counter sitting next to a .270. The .270 was priced at $1175. When I pointed out the mistake the clerk got huffy. "This," he said with pride and arrogance, "is the new Ultra Lightweight. That," he said dismissively, "is just a Mark V."

Yeah, the only difference was the size of the hole in the barrel, but he would not be swayed. So I bought it, filled out the paperwork, and took it up to the counter. Beep, $1175. Nope, $550, says so on the hang tag in the trigger guard. Manager had a fit but honored the tag.

Funny thing, I never saw that clerk again.

[Linked Image]

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Not much for good advice to be found at most gun counters.

But what do most places pay an hour?

I am sure that is a big part of the problem. Who is going to teach the new kids when they don't pay a living wage to the old guys who know their stuff.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
That's a big reason why the only stores I buy guns at any more are owner-operated shops. I may end up spending a bit more for new guns, but that is more than off-set by the deals I get on used guns as a repeat customer. That and I get to work with the same guys day in and day out, and they're guys who know their business because their livelihood depends on it. Wage workers often don't have the same motivation to build and maintain expertise.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I ended up with a NIB Weatherby Ultra Lightweight .30-06 that had been mispriced at $550. It was in the rack behind the counter sitting next to a .270. The .270 was priced at $1175. When I pointed out the mistake the clerk got huffy. "This," he said with pride and arrogance, "is the new Ultra Lightweight. That," he said dismissively, "is just a Mark V."

Yeah, the only difference was the size of the hole in the barrel, but he would not be swayed. So I bought it, filled out the paperwork, and took it up to the counter. Beep, $1175. Nope, $550, says so on the hang tag in the trigger guard. Manager had a fit but honored the tag.

Funny thing, I never saw that clerk again.

[Linked Image]

P

Why would he do that?

People are strange.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by deflave
I'm not a fan of fugking people.

Regularly.

Dave

Far as I know you still have to remind them.

Strange that they don't have a price on the carton.

Gun shops around me are not too bad, unless the gas station clerk is filling in for Howie.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been in a lot of box stores, but not a real gun store in years, until last month. A friend and I went to a gun store in Jackson, La. Small place, 3 employees that I saw, and the place was packed with customers. Pretty good selection for the size of the store, prices were good, (sale on Wolf match .22 lr for $45/brick, no limit, he had cases), and people were buying guns/ammo/reloading supplies. I saw 5 guns sold in the 45 minutes I was there and no telling how much other stuff. I realize age doesnt mean a thing, the owner was about 35, but he had 60+ year old men behind the counter and they knew what they were talking about, at least what I heard.

I was told this fellow didn't gouge people when prices went thru the roof on guns and ammo. He is getting rewarded now that prices have come down. People from all over go to his store.

That's the way to do business.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Oldman03
... I was told this fellow didn't gouge people when prices went thru the roof on guns and ammo. He is getting rewarded now that prices have come down. People from all over go to his store.

That's the way to do business.

Yes, it is.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 7 of 23 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.