Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I don't mind paying real money for good packs. I wouldn't own two Kifarus if I did.
If I recall right, I paid $40-$50 for a Bianchi Hardcore pack some 15-20 yrs. ago. When I tried to buy a replacement, I found out they are no linger made.
So, after looking at what REI, and Cabela's had to offer, I got rather discouraged. The REI stuff isn't made of the beefy materials I wanted. The popular hunting style packs from Cabela's or Sportsman's don't off much capacity or the featurees I need.
Then, while buyibg some 28 ga. shotgun ammo, I looked at Big 5's offerings.
Ever hear of a brand called Fieldline Tactical ? I hadn't. But the more I looked, the better I liked what I saw. Tough construction. 1222 ci. capacity. Weight, about 1 lb., 15 ozs.
The only thing I didn't like was the cheap hydration bladder. Going to give that away. It will easily take my 2L Platypus.
Lots of nice features. $40. Alot better made pack than the one it replaces. Yes, it's made in China.
So far, so good. For day hiking and bird hunting, I'm sure it will work well. Has so far. E

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like you have already made your decision, but, after my CO elk hunt last year, the lumbar pack I tried just didn't work well for me. Our guide was using a Cabela's Elite Scout pack and had nothing but good things to say about the pack. I picked on up earlier this year and have it loaded with everything I'll need for this year's hunt. With a full hydration bladder, it comes in at just under 18 LBS and I have to say it has proven to be very comfortable on my training hikes and at 1800 ci, it has room for more gear if needed.

Last edited by Biggs300; 08/28/16.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I gave my Fieldline away. The buckles kept coming undone and the straps would slip and loosen constantly. I ended up using duct tape on it to finish out the hunt.
There are people on this site that look down on Alps products, but I have had great luck with them. They are in about the same price range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My all time favorite day pack for hunting was a Fieldline. I plumb wore it out, even patched it a few times. They quit making that model, of course, by the time I wanted another one. I have several day packs, all more expensive and none of them as well designed, though some have better materials in them.

I bought another Fieldline a few years ago as close to the original pack as they now make. Mixed bag. Capacity is good, close to 3K with one large main sack (my ideal size for a daypack because I can hunt with it half empty but carry a good load of meat my first trip out). The new one is designed for looks to sell rather than utility, with a streamlined look and smooth outer shape that make pocket openings too tight to access easily when the pack is full. Also, the top handle strap came loose within 15 minutes of my first use. I use it as my lion calling pack with e-caller and stand gear in it, but don't carry it for deer hunting, moose etc. No others zippers or seams have failed after one side of the top strap came loose.

A summit pack of about 3000 cu. in. is close to my ideal, part way between a full size pack and a daypack and usually with one main roomy center space.

A few preferences of mine if any pack makers are reading.

1. If you are going to put a pocket on the side or back, make it run the full width and vertical length of the main pack bag. Anything less is a waste of space. If you widen the pack girth to brush on limbs, then use all of that greater width possible up and down. Two pockets one above the other is OK but use all of the space.

2. Make sure pocket bellows include zipper freedom and easy pocket opening when the pack or pocket is crammed full.

3. If you insist on cutting up pack space into cutesy little pockets, then offer a wide open big bag version or option with a few big pockets around one big cavity.

Last edited by Okanagan; 08/28/16.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
For big game hunting, I use my Kifaru Spike Camp. The Fieldline Tactical is for casual scouting and warm weather bird hunting. E

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I have had the Fieldline Tactical on two day long hikes into my local mountains with it carrying about 10 lbs. No problems at all. The clasps on it are the same design a quality as those on my Kifarus, just scaled down for the smaller chest and waist band.
I've used up or worn out some half dozen day packs over the years. That and I've gone through three back packing outfits.
Like I said, I do have some idea what a well made pack looks like. E

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just got back from a hunt where my hunting partner brought a brand new Fieldline day pack. He seemed happy with it, and the buckles were completely different than the ones on my pack.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have tried several brands of packs, from cheap to not. For a cheap pack, I have settled on Alpz Outdoors. I have several different ones, and have been happy with each.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Still the best cheapo pack I have ever used is the LAPG 3 day and larger operator packs, for $30 or $50 for the bigger one they cannot be beat. My smaller one was absolutely abused 5 days a week for 4 years and still has yet to pop a buckle, tear or have any sort of failure. Dont let the sale fool you, they have been priced that way every day for the last few years.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/backpacks.html

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use a USMC ILBE ARCTERYX MARPAT Assault BackPack. I picked it up on EBay with the internal stiffener in minty shape for under $40 delivered.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
661 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.