24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bottom line, do whatever the he11 you want with it and enjoy doing it. It's just metal and wood, not gold and diamonds. Weld on it, hammer on it, file and sand away. Make it whatever you want. Build a lamp out of it. Use it for wall art. Make a stair railing out of it.

Mostly the world is full of followers that don't encourage individual thought.

LOL
BP-B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Calhoun
If it shoots decent (or very well), either shoot and hunt it as is and enjoy the "character" and thinking about all the hunts it's been on over the last 60-80 years. If it's so bad you're embarassed to be seen with it, do a home reblue and stock refinish.[Linked Image]

Well, I just love taking old silver, gray whatever color "rats" out. They give you old stinkeye.....that is until you outshoot them.... cool

Then they want one...... wink

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
But, on the other hand there is a vicarious thrill in using a pretty rifle. If it's an old pretty rifle, then you get to know how your ancestors felt that first day they stepped into the woods with their brand new gun- right before they tripped over a tree root and put the first nick in it. (Shoulda been watching where they were going instead of walking along admiring their gun!)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Can't argue that point and mostly agree, but I try not to dismiss a 1899/99 when it has character marks as it does a certain charm. You wonder about those stories as to how they were obtained. Oh and the part where I should have been watching somewhere else instead of where the deer are, well, that is the story of my life...... grin

If it functions as it should and I do my part and put the bullet where it needs to go, then it is a good rifle.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Bottom line, do whatever the he11 you want with it and enjoy doing it. It's just metal and wood, not gold and diamonds. Weld on it, hammer on it, file and sand away. Make it whatever you want. Build a lamp out of it. Use it for wall art. Make a stair railing out of it.

I pretty much agree. However, this is a "Savage Collectors" sight and the type of alterations occasionally seen here are blasphemous to a true collector, but viewed with a cool factor by others whom don't necessarily view themselves as collectors. Lord knows I've done some things I would rather not bring to lite, but to each his own.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sycamore - so what are you going to do with it?

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldotter
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I pretty much agree. However, this is a "Savage Collectors" sight and the type of alterations occasionally seen here are blasphemous to a true collector, but viewed with a cool factor by others whom don't necessarily view themselves as collectors. Lord knows I've done some things I would rather not bring to lite, but to each his own.

It's already not a collector, so no loss.

LOL
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Fireball 2, I like the way you think!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not looking to win any popularity contests are you? smile I'm pretty sure I like the way you think as well. To each his own.

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You could always tell people that the extra holes means your rifle is an example of the ultra rare Super Duper Extra Lightweight 99F that was built for the Swiss division of Speigels! There were only a few prototypes made and since each was hand built each are all a little different - adding to the ultra rarity of the piece.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by oldtimer303
Trade it to Fireball and let him work the magic. grin GW

The big tooth smiley face means I am jerking your chain. Thought you would understand so. eek Sorry if you were offended. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No harm no foul.

I've taken a good bit of heat for doing those so I err on the side of probability.

LOL
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Since the fad right now is "Black Rifle" I'd make it look like an AR-15 with the picatinny rails and put on a laser, flashlight, red dot sight or maybe an ACOG!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speaking of picatinny rails does any know of a picatinny rail scope mount that fits the standard factory holes on later 99's. My cousin want's to mount a scope on his 99E that has to go on a picatinny rail. he's gotten into black rifles lately and has an extra scope. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
? Has to go on a Picatinny rail? Why not put standard 1" (or 30mm) rings on and attach it to a standard base? I just went through shopping for a scope for an AR and I don't recall such a beast that was for P'tinny rails exclusively.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It doesn't look like the rail on the bottom of the scope comes off. I don't know what brand. He said it's a really expensive scope. I'm not up much on these things. David

wyo1895
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I checked Brownells and Midway. They don't have anything. David

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have the one I acquired from a member here out of curiosity. That has been satisfied. grin

I am no longer accepting orders for the Lightfoot scope mount.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm getting the picatinny rail from Lightfoot. Will post a photo once Dave mounts it on his 99E. He doesn't rush into things so it may be months or years before he does it. On the other hand elk season is rapidly approaching and I'm trying to get him to hunt elk with the 99E. It's a 308 so it has more power than he really needs but it's the only 99 he has. David

wyo1895
[email protected]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlering
If it shoots pretty good , Id hunt the Heck out of it!
I had one of these-not a bit of bluing left on it, stock not cracked, but all dinged up. All it did was look ugly and kill deer. It's been gone for quite a while now, but I bet it's still killing a lot of deer.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,940 guests, and 1,429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.