Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
the only thing that might be better than than a Tikka in 6.5x55 Swede is one in 300 WSM, I have several in both and still can't decide which is better.... damn 6.5mm addiction anyway

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
magshooter1 - +1 on owning both the Tikka and CZ550FS in the Swede. One might be a tad heavy BUT where else can you have the panache of a full stock rifle in a classic 6.5mm caliber AND the the weather resistance of the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless. One just won't do so you need both - IMHO. Homsteader

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Homesteader
magshooter1 - +1 on owning both the Tikka and CZ550FS in the Swede. One might be a tad heavy BUT where else can you have the panache of a full stock rifle in a classic 6.5mm caliber AND the the weather resistance of the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless. One just won't do so you need both - IMHO. Homsteader

My thinking exactly Homesteader. I've had the 550FS since 1999 IIRC. It shot well with both factory loads I tried and shoots really well with my recipe. People can say what they will about the hogback stock but it positions my eye just right for the scope. The Tikka, well it's light and ready for foul weather and should shoot very well if my past experience with Tikka rifles hold true. Their younger brother my Steyr SBS96 Forrester in .260 Rem. may get jealous.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blairvt
I have a 6.5x55 hunter coming Monday.

When you get it could you let us know how it's throated? Apparently lots of 6.5x55 chambers still have very long throats to fit the old military ammo.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have a T3 6.5x55 in both blue and stainless.

My stainless wears a walnut? stock Tikka must have been trying as a prototype. They popped up on ebay one day and I picked one up. I should have bought them all. Decent figure and the ? is because they are nearly as light in weight as the plastic stocks, so probably not walnut but the figure makes them look like walnut. It's not painted on either.

The only rifle I've shot more one hole groups with than those two is a .223 Cooper Varmint.

And yes, they have a very long throat. Mine like the bullets seated deep, too.

I'd strongly recommend going to Talley's or Warnes and leave the supplied rings in the box. Leupold's or Burris would be fine, too, but the supplied rings need different screws to get them tight enough for the scope not to slide under recoil. Even with a 6.5x55. I also have an '06 and of course, that's worse, as was my 270 WSM.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for that info. I received my MRC 1999 6.5x55 last night and the very long throating in it is almost exactly the same as my 101 year old M96 Swedish Mauser. No problem, the proof is in the shooting which I'll find out about this weekend, just wanted to verify. It looks like that long throat is standard for 6.5 Swede chambers.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I have Talley LW lows on the way. Be here tomorrow or Thursday. I like Warne but they are heavy. That's why I'm thinking Talley LW's and most likely the Conquest 2.5-8 as it's the lightest of the scopes I have on hand. Never made sense to me to by a compact or LW rifle and top it with a big heavy scope.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've been playing around with a stainless, plastic stock T3 6.5 Swede for about 6 months now. It has the 1/8 twist barrel and I topped the rifle with a Fixed 6 SWFA MQ.

For load development I settled on reloader 17 and have tried the accubond 130, hornady 143 ELD-X and nosler 142 lr.

The rifle is a consistent 2" 500 yd rifle with the ELD-X and 45 gr of 17 with Lapua brass. The ELD-X is loaded .005 of the lands and my Tikka is not long throated as some have mentioned. I'm assuming they have older T3s that are 1/10 twist rifles.

The 130 accubond printed 3 shots into an inch at 300 yds with the first load of 47 gr of reloader 17. I didn't shoot any further with that load.

142 lr printed 3 1/2" at 500 pretty consistent. That was .005 off the lands and I seated some .030 deeper and I'll see what happens.

I'd recommend the T3 in the 6.5 Swede and I'd highly recommend the Fixed 6 SWFA with the 30 MM medium warn rings to top it with. I've printed under 4" at the 700 yd line with my fixed 6 and 20 yds it's clear as can be. It's my most versatile setup I've had in 30 + years.

Shod

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Shodd
I've been playing around with a stainless, plastic stock T3 6.5 Swede for about 6 months now. It has the 1/8 twist barrel and I topped the rifle with a Fixed 6 SWFA MQ.

For load development I settled on reloader 17 and have tried the accubond 130, hornady 143 ELD-X and nosler 142 lr.

The rifle is a consistent 2" 500 yd rifle with the ELD-X and 45 gr of 17 with Lapua brass. The ELD-X is loaded .005 of the lands and my Tikka is not long throated as some have mentioned. I'm assuming they have older T3s that are 1/10 twist rifles.

The 130 accubond printed 3 shots into an inch at 300 yds with the first load of 47 gr of reloader 17. I didn't shoot any further with that load.

142 lr printed 3 1/2" at 500 pretty consistent. That was .005 off the lands and I seated some .030 deeper and I'll see what happens.

I'd recommend the T3 in the 6.5 Swede and I'd highly recommend the Fixed 6 SWFA with the 30 MM medium warn rings to top it with. I've printed under 4" at the 700 yd line with my fixed 6 and 20 yds it's clear as can be. It's my most versatile setup I've had in 30 + years.

Nice!

I've got an assortment of 6.5 bullets including the 129g ABLR. Have R-17 on hand and will be using Nosler brass. Scope is most likely gonna be a Conquest 2.5-8x32 in Talley LW's.

Shod

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Magshooter,

Your setup should make for a nice lite rifle. 😃 I've got 2 other tikkas with Zeiss Terra 3-9X42 that I use for mountains and hunting where I do a lot of hiking. The Super Sniper I put on my Swede is kinda heavy but I'm planning on useing that rifle mostly for Eastern Montana hunting where long shots are usually the norm.

I could easily see myself going with a setup exactly like you've explained and useing my Swede for packing in the mountains of Western montana. I'd probably load it with a Barnes 120 or 130.

Best of luck with your new rifle and hunting this year

Shod

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Shod,

Do you like the Zeiss Terra's? I know when they came out there was a lot of disappointment (from the shooting forums) because they weren't deemed as good as the Conquest. Lately I've heard that while that may be true they ARE good scopes.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have a T3 Stainless synthetic in 6.5 Swede, and I haven't found a load yet that shoots over an inch at 100 yards. Took five different loads to the range one day ... Two different bullets and three different powders, and I was looking for the best deer load. Smallest group shot off makeshift rest was a tad over 0.6" and the largest was 0.9". The answer I got was ....... Shoot whatever you want, cause if you miss, it isn't the rifles fault. wink

I love mine.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm assuming they have older T3s that are 1/10 twist rifles.
I don't think so. I've had my stainless one for at least 15 years and never heard of anything besides 1/8 from Tikka in the T3's.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Why not?

You'll never find better prices on them than right now. Except for next month maybe if they still have any left. wink

Europtic.com has one for $549, doesn't say how many they have.

They are down to single digits ....

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by RickyD
I'm assuming they have older T3s that are 1/10 twist rifles.
I don't think so. I've had my stainless one for at least 15 years and never heard of anything besides 1/8 from Tikka in the T3's.

My T3 is a 1:8 twist. It is likely about 8 or so years old.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Shod,

Do you like the Zeiss Terra's? I know when they came out there was a lot of disappointment (from the shooting forums) because they weren't deemed as good as the Conquest. Lately I've heard that while that may be true they ARE good scopes.

Magshooter,

I have a conquest on a Sako Finnbear and I have 2 Terra's on T3s. I actually prefer the Terra 3 on a Tikka because it's lighter and more compact than the Conquest. I haven't had any issues with the Zeiss Terra 3. My 270 T3 with a Terra has around 1100 rounds downrange and has been hunted for 3 years. The Conquest from what I can see has slightly better glass but not by much. IMO it's not enouph to make any difference in any hunting situation. I like my Terra 3 well enouph I bought a 3rd scope when they went on sale at sportsman warehouse for $230 a while back. The Terra 3s I have all have the RZ6 reticle and the parralax on those scopes is set at 300 yds. I've shot under 3" at 500 yds with the Terra 3 a lot more than once.

As far as I can tell the Terra 3 is just as reliable as the Conquest with glass that is pretty close with an advantage on weight and more compact. The eye relief however is about 1/2" less than the Conquest is. Its not an issue for me on the non magnums I use the Terra scopes on.

Shod

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks Shod. I like the specs on them myself. Good to here some real world usage results. Probably pick up one for myself. How big is the ocular end compared to the
conquest?

I wound up robbing a Diavari MC 3-9x36 from another rifle for the 6.5x55 Tikka. Now on to load development.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Here's a few suggestions that have worked well with both of mine:

49.8 grains of Ramshot Magnum works great in both of mine with 140 Partitions.

47.5 grains of RL19 with 130 TSX's.

51.5 of RL19 with 100 NBT's.

I don't recall the exact grain weight of IMR4831 under a 130 Accubond but know it was half a grain under max.

Many of the above loads have been deprecated by corporate lawyers but they were accepted at one time and still are by me.

Work up, if you use any of the above.

RL 19 typically works good for anything up to 130, and RL22 with 140's, overall. I tried the RS Magnum a few years back and it worked great with the Partitions. Good cup and core bullets are all that is needed with a Swede, but the Partions add a little heavy bone insurance with good expansion in most anything. Since they can often be found as blems at considerable savings, I often use them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by magshooter1
Thanks Shod. I like the specs on them myself. Good to here some real world usage results. Probably pick up one for myself. How big is the ocular end compared to the
conquest?

I wound up robbing a Diavari MC 3-9x36 from another rifle for the 6.5x55 Tikka. Now on to load development.

Magshooter,

I'm on vacation at the moment so I can't look but what I remember is the ocular end is the same size while the opposite end is 42 on the Terra vs 40 on the Conquest.

Shod

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks Shod. I found the specs online. It (ocular) is supposed to be the same as the Conquest. I was hoping it was a little smaller.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

370 members (10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 32 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,430
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.