Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
we just started the deer feeders , so the coons will likely be showing some interest soon.

in an average year we kill a couple dozen, depending on how hard they hit the feeders.

For the most part they seem to prefer the persimmons in early season, but by late year they show up several times a day.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

============================================================

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A month ago a coon killed one of my buddies cow dogs. Got her out in a stock dam, the heelers must have sat on the bank and watched...

It was his best long range chaser too, high dollar Kelpie from Canada

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They're kinda fun to call! laugh

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
them's some big'uns

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Put me in line for one of those hats. I had a cherished coonskin cap as a kid. I got it at the Fort Niagra gift shop.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

**Ring Ring**

"Hella"

"Hi, Mr. Coon?"

"Who dis?"

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
They keep them pesky deer from eating all the feed!
[Linked Image]
Ronnie

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

**Ring Ring**

"Hella"

"Hi, Mr. Coon?"

"Who dis?"

Dis be da Grim Reapah! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I remember when I first joined this site Seafire gave me chit for killing Coons because he had one for a pet....

So i guess you could say they make good pets....................for those without a life....

WoW!!!

I really have to apologize to ya there Field Grade....

I had no idea that that bothered you so much you've carried that with you for all of these years.....

You have my apologies.... didn't realize me liking the little critters would have you grinding an axe over that for how many years now...

Makes me agree with your statement about those 'not having a life'...

I'll attempt to do better in the future for ya...

if I knew it had that much of an impact on ya, I'd have apologized and made amends much sooner....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
They keep them pesky deer from eating all the feed!
[Linked Image]
Ronnie

That's not what coons looked like where I grew up at....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're really good when baked with sweet potatoes. Get 'em about 3/4 grown or so.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have 15" buried pipelines that are used to move water up to irrigation ditches.

Couple different lines/caps, etc..

One spring I smelled funk coming from a cap I was about remove.

Spun it off and almost puked. A coon and 2-3 pups had crawled down into the line(to probably take a chit...) and got trapped when we fired the pump up. Water pushed them to a sealed off tee and they drowned and cooked out for a month.

Mmmmmm.

Also try and remember to seal all caps when not in use.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes they serve a purpose. To irritate the hell. out of me by crapping on my deck and to give me something to do in my spare time. (cleaning up their stinky poo).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Where else are you going to get a coon dick toothpick? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
A month ago a coon killed one of my buddies cow dogs. Got her out in a stock dam, the heelers must have sat on the bank and watched...

It was his best long range chaser too, high dollar Kelpie from Canada

Thats right!

My buddy's dog chased a big coon into an irrigation ditch. He said the coon would flip over onto its back and grab the dog by the ears and hold its head underwater.

Ole Rod had to jump in and save his dog. They were both about drowned by they time they made it to the edge of the ditch and the coon got away.

We get 30 or so every year in a live trap between my dad's place and mine. Hate the buggers.

Slow cooked in a crock pot with bbq sauce and onion they arent bad, if they have been eating corn or grain.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Back in the 1960's or 70's ( I dis-remember which)coon hides were bringing damn good money.

My Dad had Walker hounds and we ran trap lines all season. We made really good money until fur prices dropped.

A couple of older folks liked baked coon and always asked us to save them a young tender one and we always did.

I've tried BBQ coon made like pulled pork sandwiches and it's actually pretty good.

About the only time I kill one now is when they get after the laying hens. They're probably unpleasantly surprised when they find out that the Great Pyrenees likes to sleep under the floor of the chicken coop. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in the fall of 1980, I was 10 yrs old and my dad gave me 6 Victor 1 1/2 double long spring traps. I used the fur to buy a 22lr, 20ga, and a 22-250 from the proceeds that year alone with the muskrat/possum/coon/fox/mink. I was able to trap for another couple years before the prices began to fall out and my interest changed to a different form of varmint. I miss the days of $35-40 a hide for coon and $6 muskrat.

CK
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good camp ground cleaners, but when they discover coolers, they come in with sticks and fight one for the contents.

1Minute
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just got finished setting out the "live trap" for the damned rascals that keep getting into the trash.

I live in a busy neighborhood, so I can't just shoot the damned things. Too many people around here.

I trap them in a live trap, and take them for a "ride" out into the country, THEN I shoot the damned things.

It isn't sporting, it isn't "fair" but it gets the job done, and it keeps the neighbor girl, and my wife, happy in the knowledge that I'm taking them and dumping them to be someone else's problem.

Nope, I am not, but they don't have to know that. Neighbor girl named the damned things, so I can't very well tell her that it's a one-way ride. Wife doesn't care either way.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I whack a coon or skunk every chance I get......

no use for them.....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, ATC, 12 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 722 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.