Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I don't know what they are good for.
Maybe just target practice. If they eat baby grouse or ducks they are living on borrowed time.
My land can only support so much.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't very well have a coonskin cap without them.

They are good eating if cooked right. Years back our church had coon supper fund raising events...along with dressing...good stuff.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
coondogs would be outta bizness.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As would drahts.

Last edited by 30338; 08/29/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Raccoons are a natural part of nature.

Raccoon fur makes a very nice coat.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who would chase the coon hounds?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer beaver.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I have heard that it can be quite tasty.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
And they like watermelon!
Ronnie

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember when I first joined this site Seafire gave me chit for killing Coons because he had one for a pet....

So i guess you could say they make good pets....................for those without a life....

Last edited by FieldGrade; 08/30/16.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lots of young trappers cut their teeth trapping muskrats. I did as a new young trapper back in the early 70's. Raccoons were big game to a young trapper. A little harder to trap, at least to a kid, and requiring a little more knowledge and a bit more equipment. When I started catching coon on a regular basis I felt I had arrived as a trapper. Of course from raccoon I graduated to fox, coyote, bobcat, beaver and otter. So to me back then, and to a host of young trappers today, raccoons do serve as a benchmark or a measure of one's growth as a trapper.

Looking back from this side of a long life of trapping, raccoons might not seem like that much of a benchmark. But remembering those times from the other side, back when I was yet to catch my first they seemed like a tremendous prize. I'm sure to a new 11 or 12 year old trapper just starting out, they still are.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We'd probably be overrun by frogs and crawdads if there were no raccoons.

I'd get to eat a lot more of my nectarines though. Seems they love them.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Corn stealing bastids.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
10, looks like you were about over run!!!

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They cleanup leftover cat food. [img:center][Linked Image][/img]

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Whelennut: In Montana they are classified as "Varmints" no license needed, no limit, no closed season!
I have shot quite a few of them.
Here's a quick story about Raccoons and their nest robbing.
This past spring I was asleep and I hear this great big thump/thud noise outside my bedroom window.
I get my light and gun and go to see what was going on.
I had a "Bluebird" style bird house attached to a tree with heavy plastic slip-ties!
A family of Raccoons had climbed up the tree 6 feet and gnawed through (or they might have used a switchblade knife?) the plastic slip ties and the bird house crashed to the ground.
The largest Raccoon had his arm inside the bird house and was "fishing" for eggs/birds!
I put an end to that in short order.
Indeed Raccoons are nest robbing experts and as such have earned Varmint status with me (and the state!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
To All: And this... my local pawn/sport shop recently got in a batch of "dog proof" Raccoon traps!
They really are quite ingenious and according to some recent purchasers they work very well - again with no chance of a "dog" being entrapped in it.
The trap consists of a steel tube about 8 or 10 inches long with a spring and trigger mechanism inside it - a dogs paw cannot get inside the tube or if small enough to get the paw inside the tube then the leg (arm) of the dog is not long enough to trip the trigger!
Once the Raccoon smells the bait in the tube he sticks his arm down the tube and gets stuck there.
The shop sold out quickly but more are on order.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Coons are only interested in three things... Can they eat it? Can they screw it? Can they chit on it? That's all they care about. I kill every one of the little bastards I legally can.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A coworker started losing chickens, a little doctored up grape soda and he found 22 coon in his yard in the next 2 weeks.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That could be read wrong. They were raccoons.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 08/31/16.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
we just started the deer feeders , so the coons will likely be showing some interest soon.

in an average year we kill a couple dozen, depending on how hard they hit the feeders.

For the most part they seem to prefer the persimmons in early season, but by late year they show up several times a day.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

============================================================

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A month ago a coon killed one of my buddies cow dogs. Got her out in a stock dam, the heelers must have sat on the bank and watched...

It was his best long range chaser too, high dollar Kelpie from Canada

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
They're kinda fun to call! laugh

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
them's some big'uns

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Put me in line for one of those hats. I had a cherished coonskin cap as a kid. I got it at the Fort Niagra gift shop.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

**Ring Ring**

"Hella"

"Hi, Mr. Coon?"

"Who dis?"

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
They keep them pesky deer from eating all the feed!
[Linked Image]
Ronnie

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by ingwe

[Linked Image]

**Ring Ring**

"Hella"

"Hi, Mr. Coon?"

"Who dis?"

Dis be da Grim Reapah! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I remember when I first joined this site Seafire gave me chit for killing Coons because he had one for a pet....

So i guess you could say they make good pets....................for those without a life....

WoW!!!

I really have to apologize to ya there Field Grade....

I had no idea that that bothered you so much you've carried that with you for all of these years.....

You have my apologies.... didn't realize me liking the little critters would have you grinding an axe over that for how many years now...

Makes me agree with your statement about those 'not having a life'...

I'll attempt to do better in the future for ya...

if I knew it had that much of an impact on ya, I'd have apologized and made amends much sooner....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Fanofthefortyone
They keep them pesky deer from eating all the feed!
[Linked Image]
Ronnie

That's not what coons looked like where I grew up at....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They're really good when baked with sweet potatoes. Get 'em about 3/4 grown or so.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We have 15" buried pipelines that are used to move water up to irrigation ditches.

Couple different lines/caps, etc..

One spring I smelled funk coming from a cap I was about remove.

Spun it off and almost puked. A coon and 2-3 pups had crawled down into the line(to probably take a chit...) and got trapped when we fired the pump up. Water pushed them to a sealed off tee and they drowned and cooked out for a month.

Mmmmmm.

Also try and remember to seal all caps when not in use.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes they serve a purpose. To irritate the hell. out of me by crapping on my deck and to give me something to do in my spare time. (cleaning up their stinky poo).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Where else are you going to get a coon dick toothpick? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by SamOlson
A month ago a coon killed one of my buddies cow dogs. Got her out in a stock dam, the heelers must have sat on the bank and watched...

It was his best long range chaser too, high dollar Kelpie from Canada

Thats right!

My buddy's dog chased a big coon into an irrigation ditch. He said the coon would flip over onto its back and grab the dog by the ears and hold its head underwater.

Ole Rod had to jump in and save his dog. They were both about drowned by they time they made it to the edge of the ditch and the coon got away.

We get 30 or so every year in a live trap between my dad's place and mine. Hate the buggers.

Slow cooked in a crock pot with bbq sauce and onion they arent bad, if they have been eating corn or grain.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Back in the 1960's or 70's ( I dis-remember which)coon hides were bringing damn good money.

My Dad had Walker hounds and we ran trap lines all season. We made really good money until fur prices dropped.

A couple of older folks liked baked coon and always asked us to save them a young tender one and we always did.

I've tried BBQ coon made like pulled pork sandwiches and it's actually pretty good.

About the only time I kill one now is when they get after the laying hens. They're probably unpleasantly surprised when they find out that the Great Pyrenees likes to sleep under the floor of the chicken coop. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in the fall of 1980, I was 10 yrs old and my dad gave me 6 Victor 1 1/2 double long spring traps. I used the fur to buy a 22lr, 20ga, and a 22-250 from the proceeds that year alone with the muskrat/possum/coon/fox/mink. I was able to trap for another couple years before the prices began to fall out and my interest changed to a different form of varmint. I miss the days of $35-40 a hide for coon and $6 muskrat.

CK
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good camp ground cleaners, but when they discover coolers, they come in with sticks and fight one for the contents.

1Minute
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just got finished setting out the "live trap" for the damned rascals that keep getting into the trash.

I live in a busy neighborhood, so I can't just shoot the damned things. Too many people around here.

I trap them in a live trap, and take them for a "ride" out into the country, THEN I shoot the damned things.

It isn't sporting, it isn't "fair" but it gets the job done, and it keeps the neighbor girl, and my wife, happy in the knowledge that I'm taking them and dumping them to be someone else's problem.

Nope, I am not, but they don't have to know that. Neighbor girl named the damned things, so I can't very well tell her that it's a one-way ride. Wife doesn't care either way.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I whack a coon or skunk every chance I get......

no use for them.....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hell yes, they make good hats..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire

WoW!!!

I really have to apologize to ya there Field Grade....

I had no idea that that bothered you so much you've carried that with you for all of these years.....

You have my apologies.... didn't realize me liking the little critters would have you grinding an axe over that for how many years now...

Makes me agree with your statement about those 'not having a life'...

I'll attempt to do better in the future for ya...

if I knew it had that much of an impact on ya, I'd have apologized and made amends much sooner....

Hey.....I'm not the one who got upset over the idea of killing a Coon...
Or maybe you were just trying to show the new guy who's boss around here....
Don't know....Don't care....

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Raccoons keep us from being overrun with pheasants & ducks.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Yes! Wouldn't want that!

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Badgerloader

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO MANY funny people here !

Went to my lease last weekend , had my model seven 308 in hand when I walked to the feeders -hoping there might be a hog around. Didn't see any -then saw something grey in color up on my hanging feeder -turned around and sneaked back to the truck to get my suppressed cz 22lr. I thought it was a squirrel -but turned out to be a small coon maybe 10lbs. -I've never seen any real big ones down here.
I stalked up close maybe 15 yards and waited for a good shot making sure not to shoot my feeder thrower . The coon was hanging upside down with all four legs getting corn chewing with its mouth open -corn steadily falling out of its mouth like it was wasting it on purpose. I put the crosshair on it's neck and dropped it -I stepped out away from the edge to get a better look and another small coon was already looking at the shot coon . As I drew a bead on it a bigger coon ran out raising cane -growling- and bit at the shot coon that was making noises . Bang -got it in the neck and down into the heart/lung -chambered another -bang- hit the one I initially saw looking at the first shot coon -3 dead now .
Took a couple of steps and saw movement in a tree only 15 ft. up bang -bang still moving load in a couple more rounds quickly -3rd bang out of the tree it comes. 4 dead coons in less than a minute .
My feeders should have still had plenty of corn in them -but all were empty -these buggers will come and spend all day and night spinning corn out of the feeders. My night lights were so muddy from the coons that I had to get a rag and water and clean them off .
I once saw eleven coons at another spot on my lease and shot a few of them with the CCI Quiet 22 ammo -it is quite under powered for coons.

Anyway they sure make a suppressed rifle worth having & are great sport for a Bow , of which I fine tuned mine today .
I didn't have any ice with me or I would have peeled all of them.

Look on youtube for instructions on how to clean a coon --yes they are very good to eat if cooked right , just clean them immediately .
I gave two city-slicker women a piece last winter and they loved it .
Possum is just as good .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I love a happy ending.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ol_mike

Went to my lease last weekend , had my model seven 308 in hand when I walked to the feeders -hoping there might be a hog around. Didn't see any -then saw something grey in color up on my hanging feeder -turned around and sneaked back to the truck to get my suppressed cz 22lr. I thought it was a squirrel -but turned out to be a small coon maybe 10lbs. -I've never seen any real big ones down here.
I stalked up close maybe 15 yards and waited for a good shot making sure not to shoot my feeder thrower . The coon was hanging upside down with all four legs getting corn chewing with its mouth open -corn steadily falling out of its mouth like it was wasting it on purpose. I put the crosshair on it's neck and dropped it -I stepped out away from the edge to get a better look and another small coon was already looking at the shot coon . As I drew a bead on it a bigger coon ran out raising cane -growling- and bit at the shot coon that was making noises . Bang -got it in the neck and down into the heart/lung -chambered another -bang- hit the one I initially saw looking at the first shot coon -3 dead now .
Took a couple of steps and saw movement in a tree only 15 ft. up bang -bang still moving load in a couple more rounds quickly -3rd bang out of the tree it comes. 4 dead coons in less than a minute .
My feeders should have still had plenty of corn in them -but all were empty -these buggers will come and spend all day and night spinning corn out of the feeders. My night lights were so muddy from the coons that I had to get a rag and water and clean them off .
I once saw eleven coons at another spot on my lease and shot a few of them with the CCI Quiet 22 ammo -it is quite under powered for coons.

Anyway they sure make a suppressed rifle worth having & are great sport for a Bow , of which I fine tuned mine today .

Look on youtube for instructions on how to clean a coon --yes they are very good to eat if cooked right , just clean them immediately .
Possum is just as good .

Great story, definitely more exciting than Jeff_O's deer hunt! His 11 days of posts, culminated with the harvest of a spike. laugh. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Possum is just as good .

Holey road kill....I never met anyone that would eat Possum....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pretty common in the South.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hate the bastards. We put axle grease on the legs of our feeders to keep them off, but they just keep trying to climb them until they rub all the grease off, then get to the spreader. They are smart though, here's one spinning corn for the ones on the ground!
[Linked Image]

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Holey road kill....I never met anyone that would eat Possum...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The possums I pick up off the road are 'tenderized' still good to eat if they haven't been there more than a few days ! laf.
Hclark I've captured hundreds of pictures like that -squirrels are actually worse they will chew up and destroy anything human made at a lease.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Holey road kill....I never met anyone that would eat Possum...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The possums I pick up off the road are 'tenderized' still good to eat if they haven't been there more than a few days ! laf.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MOGC
Coons are only interested in three things... Can they eat it? Can they screw it? Can they chit on it? That's all they care about. I kill every one of the little bastards I legally can.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They used to serve a helluva purpose...

Back when I was in high school, they translated to gas, rodeo, and beer money.

$35 per big coon skin.

That was a lot of money back then..

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
There is one thing I can think of off hand they are good for.....this:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those are dam nice hounds ms.....are they yours....

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
ABSOLUTELY a great purpose for coon

Originally Posted by msinc
There is one thing I can think of off hand they are good for.....this:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Ya to aggravate me and steal my bird food, crap in my garage. I've disposed of eight of the masked bandits so far this year. Bought six of the hand hold traps from Fleming Traps and will resume setting them here in a few days.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Ah!! Coons and hounds.. Memories of my youth.. Great stuff.. Thanks for the show!

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
They used to serve a helluva purpose...

Back when I was in high school, they translated to gas, rodeo, and beer money.

$35 per big coon skin.

That was a lot of money back then..

I wouldn't turn down 35 now....

Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by MOGC
Coons are only interested in three things... Can they eat it? Can they screw it? Can they chit on it? That's all they care about.

Hmm....so I guess your saying that they make up pretty much of a Democratic party base? wink Plan on trying to hunt them this year...I'm in to traditional muzzleloading and I would like to try and make a Daniel Boone coonskin cap. From what I've read in Fur-Fish-Game, there is an over abundance of coon skins from the past several years in cold storage, so nobody is targeting them trapping-wise. I will do MY personal best to protect and serve the upcoming gamebird and waterfowl nesting season!!!
The hunt with the dogs looks like it might be kinda fun....might have to put that one on the bucket list.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Those are dam nice hounds ms.....are they yours....

Originally Posted by Robster
ABSOLUTELY a great purpose for coon

Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Ah!! Coons and hounds.. Memories of my youth.. Great stuff.. Thanks for the show!

Yes sir, they are mine. Sorry for the delay and thanks a million for the nice compliments fellas!!! The little redbone is long gone. He was a nice one, out of a famous dog named "Brunswick Little Man. What I wouldn't give to have him again!!!
The Walker is House's Mr. Clean bred and the bluetick is out of Nashoba Valley Paizon. They aren't the best...but they are some pretty nice dogs that I am lucky to have. Thanks to all for your kind words gentlemen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're beauties....you should be proud....

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Varmint Guy, I think you are talking about a Coon Cuff trap. I use them all the time and have 13 this year , 23 last yr and 18 the yr before. I trap them all season. They eat my strawberries, raspberries, and kill my chickens if they can. I hate them and wish we could improve the market for these rats. So many I shot 3 of them in the daytime this summer. Way too many when you see them in the daytime. I saw an improvement in the rabbit numbers too. Only bad thing is I have rats by the chicken coop and never had that before. Maybe they take care of the rats. Otherwise, they are useless.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A few years ago when I could get $20-$35 for a skin I though they served a purpose. I got into small time trapping for a motivation to get out in the woods more often and wasn't really trying to make money but it was a nice motivation and way to payoff your equipment. The last year or so when they are essentially worthless they seem to have a lot more downsides. I agree with their nasty disposition and tendency to use the most unfortunate places as their toilet.
The problem with low fur prices it really reduces the number of people harvesting them around here (not many hound hunters) so they will overpopulate and then you get the crash from distemper or other diseases.
I noticed the number of roadkills seem up this fall.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I talked to the local fur buyer and he said he doesn't want them until November and even then it would be $5.00 for skinned
Or a dollar unskinned.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My Dad and friends hunted them with dogs when i was young, One night the dogs killed a mother in a feed barn and they brought home 5 baby coons and we had 7 8week old bluetick pups. So the pups made great dogs, the times i got to go was hell Dad had to swim out in a tank to get one off the dogs head which he had done many times.The worse was one night we took trailer the best walker dad ever had and he had a coon so i took off and dad stopped me and said listen you could here a rattlesnake the coon was in a hole and the snake right beside dad went in and got trailer but he was bit twice in the jaw. He lived but watching the side of his face rot out was bad. Dad could always pick a great pup he kept it a secret for years what he would do is put a peice of jerky on a string and when he looking at the pups he would pull it out and drag it around i dont know if they were hungry are what but they always made good dogs.

Callin Varmints
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couple years ago I caught a prime 36 incher....biggest Coon I've ever seen let alone caught....the fur buyer offered me $8 skinned, fleshed. and dried....
I took it home and hung it up in my reloading room...
The funny part is...the buyer is the same guy that writes the fur report in FF&G magazine yet his prices aren't anywhere near as high as his predictions....
I only took it to him because he has a guy that does a great job cleaning skulls cheap so I was headed up there anyway and my regular fur buyer doesn't buy Coon...
Fortunately I don't target Coon and seldom catch one because between my low catch numbers and the cheap prices I couldn't even pay for the lure...

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Coons are good to fug up your feeders and eat your corn.

Last edited by hanco; 11/24/16.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I remember getting $20-25 for a large raccoon in the 1980s in PENN. Knew a few guys who made good money trapping them for profit, but most dont mess with them anymore because of very low fur prices. You sure dont want a family of raccoons moving into your attic, heard a few horror stories of their urine soaking through ceilings when they invade.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I know they can reap Holy Hell on pen raised pheasants, cost us a seasons worth one year........

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Fur buyers around here won't even entertain buying any....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
No problem with coons/squirrels around my hunting spots...My dogs get plenty of exercise after deer season.Grin

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They serve no purpose. Shoot all of them

Y
Y
Originally Posted by hanco
They serve no purpose. Shoot all of them

I agree.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I like to bait them with dogfood and then hit them with prairie dog loads from a .223.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I catch them at home. Take them to work. Let them loose in the parking lot

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
That sounds reasonable.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Bullet testing! .357 140 gr. JHP pistol bullets out of my 35 Whelen. 2500 fps is the sweet spot. No varmint has cost me more than the raccoon. Tore up my deer lease cabin too many times to count, stopped feeders just as often. I may try cooking one just for the revenge effect.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The basturds will destroy a wild turkey population. They get to the nests & break the eggs. We have 1000 pound creep feeders so deer & exotics can eat at will anytime but we were losing half the feed to coons. We got permission from our local game warden & in one deer season we eliminated over 70 coons. Our GW is the one who told us they will destroy the turkeys. We don't have a huge problem anymore.
Jim D

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gonesouth
The basturds will destroy a wild turkey population. They get to the nests & break the eggs. We have 1000 pound creep feeders so deer & exotics can eat at will anytime but we were losing half the feed to coons. We got permission from our local game warden & in one deer season we eliminated over 70 coons. Our GW is the one who told us they will destroy the turkeys. We don't have a huge problem anymore.
Jim D

Saw 2 of the little critters while coyote hunting yesterday, too bad they were on a property we couldn't hunt.

50 grain Ballistic Tip from the 22-250 would have been good for them.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

588 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.