Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here in AR I have 26 days until I can nock an arrow. I know some of you guys can get a much earlier start and it's pretty much impossible for someone in AR to take a buck in velvet so I'll wait. Impatiently!

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
In MD we used to open on Sept. 15, and I've killed 2 in velvet. They shed the velvet somewhere around there, so it was always difficult. A few years ago they moved opening day up a week, I think it comes in on the 6th. The problem I have is that it's still so damn hot, so now a days, I wait until things cool off a little.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Starts Saturday in Montana for deer and elk

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We start Sept 10th...need to take a Doe before taking a Buck. I'll have to pick out a plump one day 1 :-)

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Arkansas doesn't have the doe first rule but they did expand the doe harvest when they allowed the taking of does in any season (firearms included). Was once only during archery season.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been shooting a few arrows every day for the past two weeks. Did a little scouting today and found several white oaks dropping acorns. Just have to get the camera out and pick a stand site.

Who is John Galt?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Saturday for us. Can't wait. I shot several arrows this evening. Pretty nice here really. It's going to be cooler than normal this weekend.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Been practicing with my longbow off and on for better than four months, and harder in the last month with the proper spined arrows, thanks to AH64Guy.

I am coming to the realization that I may be hardwired for a sight pin, don't think I'll get there in less than another month of practicing with my longbow.

I wont fly an arrow at an animal without confidence.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
8 days to Idaho and elk chasing, while early deer season in Virginia starts on 10 Sept. Stands are up in VA, and cameras out, deer are starting to move.

In Virginia, we have "earn a buck" as well, though you can take a buck first, then must take two antlerless deer before another buck. Most try to get a doe or two before the rut.

Gunner, you'll get there, it will happen.

Shooting every night, 20-30 arrows, and just enough to keep the edge on without over stressing it.

Last edited by AH64guy; 09/01/16.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Appreciate the vote of confidence AH64, I hope it comes.

And good luck and happy hunting to all this year.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
October 1st in West Texas. I am contemplating a crossbow smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gunner500
Been practicing with my longbow off and on for better than four months, and harder in the last month with the proper spined arrows, thanks to AH64Guy.

I am coming to the realization that I may be hardwired for a sight pin, don't think I'll get there in less than another month of practicing with my longbow.

Longbow? You da man.

Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
October 1st in West Texas. I am contemplating a crossbow smile

I haven't touched my compound in 2 years. I went to a crossbow and love it. I never was a great archer, plus getting a little older so I checked them out and bought one. I love it and my son calls me a cheater.

The bow shop up the road sells 10 Point. I wasn't sure about the whole crossbow thing and didn't want to spend $1000.00, so I went with Wicked Ridge, which is the old style limbs, by 10 Point. The scope was already on, right out of the box. 10 Point has a good warranty and the bow shop is a full service dealer and can repair it if something goes wrong. Now I wish I had sprung for the 10 point with the short limbs. I find that the long limbs can get in the way if I'm shooting around the back of the tree. Don't buy junk.

Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by gunner500

Longbow? You da man.

Yes, Longbow Buddy, and it's a bitch too. smile

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Season here Oct 1. Going to let best buddy have a crack at one of the multi point bucks here.

I have a trash one that needs to go, but I generally don't shoot but a few arrows a day or so before just to verify the sights.

This compound gig really doesn't take much.

Still wanting to go back to recurve... or have a custom long bow built.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
TOMORROW!!!!!! smile

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You guys be careful our clearing shooting lanes and setting stands.

Was doing same yesterday afternoon and got cracked in the right eye by a big chunk of wood at the end of an ax strike, got my eyes closed and head turned in time to no avail, only so much head movement you can do at the end of an ax swing.

Stupid me didn't want to bring my safety glasses up on the mountain because it was hot and humid, fogged lenses/sweat etc, there is a large black Russian boar in the area and already found earlier that day a black bear ripped my trail cam off a tree.

Thought I may need to be a able to climb a tree or shoot quick without having to worry with fogged glasses/blurred vision while I worked.

They are a PITA, but don't leave your safety equipment behind men, would have been really nice to end my hunting for the year yesterday, or sight in my right eye for life!

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I try like heck to use safetyt all the time. I won't forget it on purpose like you did, but we all make mistakes.

Glad you came out good this time!

BTW tehre is a good anti fog stuff out there, keeps my SCBA fire mask from fogging at fires and that takes quite good stuff to do that.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks Rost, about to head back up for a couple more hours of work before dark, but, WITH my safety glasses this time.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
All good, bow stand hung, safety harness lanyard secured on tree, shooting lanes cleaned and ready, countdown begins......................................................................................cry

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (17CalFan, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,104
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.