24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
J
I have the Boomer special #4. I dropped the ball on him, and haven't gotten him the pics. If you buy a mini, which you probably should, definitely keep him in mind. I'm not really technically proficient, and I'm having difficulty adding my pics.

The rifle is sweet, and with Leupold bases and rings, and a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 and an empty mag, it weighs 6.8 pounds.

-Josh

Forgot to add, SAS and the guys at Whitakers are awesome to deal with. They worked with me, and even jumped through hoops for me when I managed to order the wrong bases.

Last edited by Jbb710; 08/27/16.
BP-B6

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wow - that bench is nice! Sure opened the grip up on that one... Thanks Josh.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
What is the ROT of the .223s? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I rode down to Whittaker's today, just to get out of the house, and to hit up Moonlite BBQ.

I liked the action heaps, but not the stock, so I'm sitting on my hands waiting on whether or not the twist rate is fast enough. I've seen Mtn. Boomer's stock re-works, which looked pretty good, so that's manageable.

I've got enough rifles, but I kinda liked the two .223s, maybe enough to buy one, but the ROT is the factor.

Sorry I missed you! I ran in this morning for a bit, but left around 10:30. I had lots to do around the house. I'm usually not around all day on Saturday this time of year.

I took the wife along, under the guise of going to Moonlite. She's been after me to go to a good BBQ joint for awhile, so we took the ride down your way.
"Hey honey, since we're already here, we might as well go down the road a bit further and check out that gunshop I like so much". grin
We work nights, and had barely got on the road by 10:30, we'd only got to bed about 6AM. Working nights ain't gittin' it. I might skip sleeping altogether and run back down there next weekend.

I'm pretty .223'd out, but I guess another one wouldn't eat me out of house and home. A nice lightweight .223 ain't gonna hurt anything. I've swapped off/given away all but two of my heavy guns, since I quit P-doggin', but a lightweight is always kinda nice to have around.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
What's the mag constraints on these howas? Can you shoot heavier bullets out of them and load close to lands? I'm sure a 75 amax too lands may not be possible but what are you guys working with. I have a desire to own a 223 fast twist, but cannot decide what too get. Would love to be able to try 75amax or something of the likes. Bthp?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The mini will confine you to AR mag lengths.

There is room in the standard 1500.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had my Mini out Thursday and plinkin Gongs at 200 is not a big deal. I was shooting cheap Wolf Gold

Now really Deflave does it with more style (and better brass see the Vid) but its just fun to plink with it

Honestly its a fun cheap gun that really doesnt act like a cheap gun.

The work Carl did on it (223) just made it really user friendly.His shaping is very good.

The green 6.5 is also mine and I would rebuy it in a heart beat

not trying to be a kiss azz but what Carl has done for me is great

I like both my Howas, he made them better

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We just got in a bunch of Howa mini's...

We received the LW 20' 6.5 Grendel's, all barrel weights of the 7.62x39's, more 1500 Lightenings in 6.5 Creedmoor....

Please don't send PM's. I'll post links once we have them loaded on our website. They'll be up by end of business tonight.

I see the 22" standard and 20" heavy barreled Grendels but no 20" lightweights....sold out already or still on the way?

Thanks

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My .223 Mini will fit a little longer than AR length in the mag. Can't remember exactly, but it's in the 2.325" range. Maybe even 2.335"...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Does anyone make a decent replacement stock for the Howa 1500 in 6.5 creed?

Or, should I just rebarrel a rem700?

Or pillar bed a wood stock and paint it?

I bought a Howa 1500 in 6.5 Creedmoor from Whittaker's and had it in a couple of different stocks, 'cause I don't like the ergs of the Hogue. I had it in an old style B&C stock that I bought on eBay for $100+/- from a guy in Maryland who appears to have a bunch of them. I like it OK, but don't love it, so I currently have it in a V2 take-off and like it as well as the B&C, maybe even a little better.

I have a 24" barrel V2 in 6.5 Creedmoor that I put in a McM McM Hunter style stock and like it a lot. For me, putting a $450 stock on a $550 rifle made the rifle significantly more user friendly from an ergs point of view. The 22" Howa 1500 and the 24" V2 balance much differently, even though the only difference is 2" of barrel.

GPC has new, old-stock, Smith & Wesson branded deluxe grade walnut 1500 stocks that are, IMO, much nicer than anything coming out of Boyds and for less $$, around $180 shipped. This is GPC part # 584470A/B/C/D. The also have the standard grade walnut stocks for about $30 less. The standard grade stocks have a dull finish, while the deluxe grade stocks has a glossy finish that looks to me like the finish on a Remington 700 BDL.

If you already have a Remington 700 donor with a stock that you like, rebarreling might be the way to go. If you're starting from square 1, it would be hard to argue against buying the $330 Howa 1500 from Whittaker's and "stone soup" it a nickel at a time until you get it the way that you want it.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hillestadj

We received the LW 20' 6.5 Grendel's, all barrel weights of the 7.62x39's, more 1500 Lightenings in 6.5 Creedmoor....

Please don't send PM's. I'll post links once we have them loaded on our website. They'll be up by end of business tonight.

I see the 22" standard and 20" heavy barreled Grendels but no 20" lightweights....sold out already or still on the way?

Thanks

Still on the way. I think we have something like 30 of those coming. I can't remember how many I ordered!

I didn't get in today for measurements. We're closed anyway and I needed to do stuff in preparation for the bow opener Saturday!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Do the 7.62's have a .308 bore by chance?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Thanks

Still on the way. I think we have something like 30 of those coming. I can't remember how many I ordered!

Thanks, good to know - I will be all over one. Have an ETA by any chance?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by joe6555
Do the 7.62's have a .308 bore by chance?

I emailed Legacy a few weeks ago and got this response:

Originally Posted by LSI
,310 bore coming in 30 days !

Andy McCormick - President - Legacy Sports Int'l

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
[quote=David_Walter]

GPC has new, old-stock, Smith & Wesson branded deluxe grade walnut 1500 stocks that are, IMO, much nicer than anything coming out of Boyds and for less $$, around $180 shipped. This is GPC part # 584470A/B/C/D. The also have the standard grade walnut stocks for about $30 less. The standard grade stocks have a dull finish, while the deluxe grade stocks has a glossy finish that looks to me like the finish on a Remington 700 BDL.

GPC? Sorry Can't seem to recall who they are.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think he may be referring to Numrichs Gun Parts Corp........

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ah, that site I know well. Thanks!

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
www.gunpartscorp.com

If you call the telephone order number, 866-686-7424, they will give you a $4.95 shipping discount code if you are willing (able?) to complete your order on-line.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does anyone know what scope rings are required for the Howa Mini action?

I just picked mine up today. Thanks Whittakers and ShortActionSmoker!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Decided on a LTWT mini in 223, it's on the way. I have a bulk box of Hornady 75 grain HPBT;s with cannelure that need to be shot at various things. Hope they like the 1 in 9 inch twist.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Do you have any of the 223 minis left OD green? Regular barrel ?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,781 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.